SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Langton Rise Road Works
SpringCat

17-01-2011 01:46 PM

Does anybody know what are they doing in Langton Rise? The road has been blocked for over a week. Any progress?
Please advise.
Thank you

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbboy

17-01-2011 02:52 PM

Walked pass today, they are refilling the deep hole today and removing the surrounding supports. Hoping the road will be re-opened later this week. Might relieve the 20+ car traffic jam this morning at the Canonbie/Forest Hil road junction.

Les

17-01-2011 03:13 PM

Hooking up sewerage to the new house built halfway up Langton Rise, next to the transformer.

The pipe runs very deep, but I'm surprised the contractor has been allowed to close the road completely for so long. The 'local' diversion is a complete pain.

SpringCat

17-01-2011 03:56 PM

I agree with you. Canonbie Road junction is hell early morning and very dangerous. No one gives way and it takes ages to get out in order to turn back into wood vale where you want to go.

dbboy

17-01-2011 09:58 PM

Isn't it easier going down Forest Hill Road and then cutting up either Ryedale of St. Thingymejig road at the traffic lights by the Forest Hill Road Group Practice or even left by the Hern Tavern.

andrewr

18-01-2011 03:11 PM

When I spoke to the contractors, they said they had a traffic order permitting closure of Langton Rise for 3 weeks - but they hoped to complete sooner. Apparently the sewer that they are connecting to is 5 metres below ground.

Les

19-01-2011 11:48 PM

Wow that's really deep for a normal street sewer - I wonder if its a legacy of the railway line and bridge on Langton Rise i.e. the surface level has been built up since the sewer was constructed.

Zimmerman

20-01-2011 02:37 PM

The Sewer from the new houses and roads, and the Water supply from the resevior at the top of Liphook Crescent passed over the railway track very high up on a steel latice gantry to the right looking up Langton Rise, these were removed underground when the railway line closed and the track levelled.

SpringCat

24-01-2011 02:30 PM

Are they finishing the job this week or carrying over for another week. It has been already too long.

ceetee

26-01-2011 01:02 PM

Still closed this morning and still looks like a very big hole in the road so cannot believe they are almost done! It is a total pain for sure and silly though it sounds it adds a good 5-10 mins to the journey each way at rush hour.

brian

26-01-2011 02:31 PM

Probably a blessing for those who live in or close to the road.
Must be honest I used the road as a rat run for years from East Dulwich to Devonshire Rd . Do not feel proud of this now.

baggydave

26-01-2011 10:57 PM

Damn. I had been dying to start a thread entitled "there's a hole in our road dear Lisa dear Lisa". But I can reveal the conspiracy. Those jealous people on the wrong side of the tracks, first of all stole all our grit so we in UDB could not escape during the snow. Now they are digging up our road.

I am well impressed at the rate of progress. It reminds me of a (late and great) Norman Wisdom film, where Mr Grimshaw is the gaffer, and they spend most of their time in the workman's hut having tea.

So us poor souls in the heights cannot drive to the Wood Vale shops, and worse still to our local boozer, the Moore Park Tavern.

An alternative theory is that it is either Libyan students, or the lady selling the big issue, who dunnit. Bet you can't find the subtle poetic link to the first suspects, Michael.

Oh, and if locals have noticed that there is now more space on the pavement, that is because one cycle vigilante moved all the Harris fencing back last Friday to create more space. Our hero! No, don't thank BD, all in a day's work.

baggydave

27-01-2011 11:13 PM

Well would Adam and Eve it - BD had a moan and hey presto, the hole is filled.

But now those pesky people from the worng side of the tracks have dug a big trench down one side of the road.

SpringCat

28-01-2011 12:11 PM

Langton Rise would open to traffic this morning

brian

28-01-2011 03:50 PM

Oh dear , what a shame , the rat runners will be back.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  L and Q - Major works on Taymount Rise and close by james wilcox 1 4,974 19-11-2021 10:00 AM
Last Post: taymountgrange
  building works on the corner of Shipman Road and Siddons Road Prampusher 3 6,425 04-08-2011 09:25 AM
Last Post: Sherwood