SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next > Last »
Devonshire Road - residents parking
michael

31-03-2011 03:19 PM

At yesterday's ward assembly there was some discussion about a CPZ for Devonshire Road, although I don't think anybody living at the north end of Devonshire was present. Which may explain why nobody spoke in favour of pushing for a CPZ and an indicative vote showed only one person in favour.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JonathanH

06-04-2011 10:37 PM

This is frustrating. My wife spoke with the council earlier in the year and it looked like there was hope. We'll get back in touch and share the update here.

brian

07-04-2011 07:15 PM

Why should people be obliged to attend the ward meeting to get action.

When i lived in DR they sent round a questionaire

ryananglem

15-04-2011 10:21 AM

Re. CPZ's

This article from the Brockley Central blog written by a representative from Lewisham is quite informative

http://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/2011...zones.html

brian

15-04-2011 11:24 AM

Very interesting thanks. I am still baffled why car ownership is still rising in places like Forest Hill. The costs of legally running a car are huge and there is good public transport.
I do think the time has come for Devonshire Road residents to be allowed a vote on CPZ's. I recall last vote at least 10 years ago , probably more.

devonshoreroad

15-04-2011 11:30 AM

I'm obviously biased but fully agree. I also think there needs to be a bit of thought about who is asked to vote. Devonshire Road is an unusually large road. I suspect the real problems are suffered by those at either end (i.e. the houses close to HOP and FH stations). I don't think it would be right for those in the middle (who presumably don't have a problem) to overrule those at the ends (who do). I understand that there is a risk that the problem will just be pushed down the road if it isn't rolled out along the full length but think that this could be addressed with a bit of targetted questioning (i.e. middle houses are asked whether they would want CPZ in their area if it is introduced at the ends)...

new2honoroak

15-04-2011 11:33 AM

Residents in Boveney Road might want to be consulted too. It's getting quite congested at the HOP end of Boveney...

devonshoreroad

15-04-2011 11:36 AM

I agree with that

brian

15-04-2011 11:53 AM

Could be all side roads , Ewelme , Benson etc etc.

I do not now live in the road but did from 85 to 08, in the middle section near Ewelme Rd.
I would recommend contacting all 3 councillors to put pressure on LBC ( not the strange wireless station).
I glad LBC put commuters at the bottom of the pile. They should walk to nearest station ( never far in our area ).

shzl400

15-04-2011 01:20 PM

The problems with commuters is that some of them come from exotic parts of Kent and have driven the easy bit and just jump on to the train for the last stretch.

Folks might also want to note this sentence in the Brockley response: "CPZs also help to improve the local quality of life by removing obstructive parking from junctions and corners and allowing free access for local people and the emergency services." Translation - they substantially reduce the actual amount of parking space available, even to permit-paying residents. The density of occupation, particularly at the HOP end of DR, when several houses are split into multiple flats i.e. the number of cars per house is likely to be greater, means that this could be a real issue.

And as a side-roader, I'd definitely want to be consulted!

michael

15-04-2011 01:46 PM

Lewisham Council planning and highways departments try to limit the number of cars per household and don't really see a problem with 13 flat developments with only 2 parking spaces (Perry Vale fire station), or with the conversion of houses in entire streets to multiple flats.

There is then a problem, particularly in 'sustainable living areas' ( = close to stations and don't need a car) when people actually do have cars. Those houses do not have room to park all their cars and there is no room for parking for people driving past the local shops.

The only solution they have to this is to charge people for parking outside their houses in an attempt to price Lewisham residents off the curbs.

Quote:
CPZs ... remove obstructive parking from junctions and corners and allowing free access for local people and the emergency services

So does the effective enforcement of existing parking restrictions on junctions and corners. How does a CPZ improve this (assuming traffic wardens are doing a good job on residential road in Lewisham that do not have CPZ)?

ryananglem

15-04-2011 02:01 PM

Thats a good point Michael. There has been no provision for car parking spaces at all in the new Phoenix Works development off Bird in Hand Passage - something like 26 new flats. Even if only a third of those residents have cars (bearing in mind that there may be 2 per flat), thats a lot more stress on parking in the local area, particularly as this is situated near the station.

Some people do actually need cars (eg. for their work) - Lewisham seems to be forgetting this.

brian

15-04-2011 02:03 PM

I agree about dangerous parking right up to the corner. I always left the required legal distance from the corner but this did not stop others parking behind me.
It is extremely dangerous to park right up to the corner and also can impede pedestrians and dare I say buggies.
About time these people were clamped down on.
OK I agree too many cars in SE23 but why have many people got cars? Surely they would be better placed getting the odd taxi and using feet and public transport.
Paying to park in road could be a progreesive step to free up SE23 roads.

andrewr

15-04-2011 09:53 PM

Car clubs also help. I believe each car club car is reckoned to get 5 cars off the road. They are a very practical solution for those who only use their car a few hours each week and for a very modest fee compared with driving your own car, you get to drive a decent modern car that is properly insured and well looked after. It comes with its own dedicated parking bay so parking isn't a problem. With all the money saved on tax, insurance, maintenance and depreciation, its even worth hiring the club car for short holidays. Google Streetcar for more information - there are quite a few based in SE23.

mrm1ag1

18-04-2011 07:01 AM

Something really needs to be done about the parking at HOP end of Devonshire Road. It is virtually impossible to park anywhere near my house between the hours of 8 and 6.

Surely a parking restriction between say 11 and 2 would solve some of these problems? Commuters would be unable to leave their cars all day whilst other peole could come and go as they please at other times.

Ive got to say the other thing that really ***** me off is people putting out bins/ cones etc to reserve "their own" parking space. Imagine if everyone started doing that! Yes it's annoying and frustrating about the lack of parking but you have no right to start reserving a space on a public highway!

Anyway how do we get a consultation running about a CPZ?

brian

18-04-2011 11:01 AM

I agree 100% with last post. I would say your best bet is through one of your Councillors.
It annoys me when people put bins etc out ( except for Funerals etc ). These people are really inconsiderate.
I agree a 1 hour ban in middle of the day would be ideal. Only requirement for warden for 1 hour so quite cheap. But believe LBC have ruled this system out in favour of CPZ's

Good Luck.

Sherwood

19-04-2011 06:53 AM

They do this in Blackheath. I think you cannot park between 11.00 a.m. and 12.00 noon.

brian

19-04-2011 10:51 AM

Yes they do it in many London Boroughs , but I believe has been ruled out by LBC.

Seems less costly also as warden would only have to make 1 visit a day.

andrewr

27-04-2011 08:04 PM

With the suggested 11-12 restriction, presumably residents can still park between 11 and 12? More than a little inconvenient otherwise. So there still has to be the whole bureaucracy of issuing and paying for residents permits, visitors permits etc. And there is little saving over a full blown CPZ. Or am I missing something? The only saving I can see is that it only needs to be patrolled for one hour a day - but that is possible with a CPZ anyway.

No Longer Registered

28-04-2011 07:50 AM

I think that the main advantage of the 11 to 12 restriction is that it specifically targets non-resident drivers who park all day.

Other casual visitors to friends and shops would be largely unaffected.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Devonshire Road "spooky" house new residents? Siiri 8 10,042 07-05-2018 10:34 AM
Last Post: mrcee
  Boveney Road Residents Parking jade4692 10 10,758 12-03-2016 08:10 PM
Last Post: christgill
  Parking on Devonshire Road Choppo 48 43,994 05-10-2013 08:57 AM
Last Post: kipya
  Parking on Devonshire Road T and C 1 3,894 04-10-2010 08:26 PM
Last Post: annsquire66
  Warning to Residents on Honor Oak Road malcs 8 11,767 10-08-2010 06:58 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Parking Devonshire Road Choppo 37 33,788 04-08-2010 01:22 PM
Last Post: tripandfuschia
  Devonshire Road - Parking on the Pavement brian 15 16,518 09-12-2009 06:34 PM