SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Devonshire Road - residents parking
benny

17-01-2011 12:08 PM

Free parking is a rediclus idea. We shouldnt be encoraging people to drive to stations anyway. To return to the original point that is the proposal of CPZ at HOP end of Dev road. I'm a resident at that end of the road and think it's a great idea. Deveneshoreraod please PM me if you would like any help contacting local residents I'd be mere than happy to help.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

17-01-2011 12:56 PM

Benny
I agree 100%. People should walk or get bus to nearest station. I cannot believe how short some of their journies are.
When I lived in DR from 85 to 08 I objected to CPZ . Used to live near Ewelme and parking never a major problem, if like me you were happy to park 2 or 300 hundred yards from home.
I understand now situation much worse and only solution would be CPZ's which also should be active on Sundays to cover to Church Traffic.

Woody
No Longer Registered

17-01-2011 11:02 PM

I think that they had a similar problem with commuter parking near Herne Hill station.

The local council introduced a CPZ but non-residents only had to buy a ticket if they parked between 12 and 2pm.

This solved the problem as the commuters couldn't buy a ticket in advance and would get a ticket if they left their car parked all day.

Of course that wouldn't address some of the problems associated with CPZs already highlighted in this thread.

monakot

18-01-2011 12:44 PM

I think a CPZ with charges 12-2pm is a great idea.

Sherwood

18-01-2011 02:20 PM

I think they do something like this in Blackheath.

michael

18-01-2011 02:30 PM

It wouldn't be a single CPZ if we don't let it just push to problem elsewhere.
So there would need to be a Honor Oak Park CPZ for half of Devonshire, the joining roads. A second for the roads to the east of HOP including the main road. The third would be the other end of Devonshire and roads off it, which would be an extension to the David's Road CPZ, it would also need to extend up Taymount Rise and to the other side of the railway - Stanstead Road, Westbourne Drive, South Road. The fourth CPZ would be on Dartmouth Road and around the swimming pool (Thorpewood, Derby Hill, Derby Hill Crescent).

Unless all four CPZ are brought in at the same time problems with commuter parking will only be pushed elsewhere. I also expect that a number of local businesses people will object to not being able to park in residential roads close to their shops.

A fifth CPZ could surround the Horniman to prevent users of the museum and gardens parking in residential roads.

With laws preventing clamping on private roads I expect that some people will just park in my driveway and that of flats in the area since there is nothing you can do to prevent this.

andrewr

23-02-2011 06:58 PM

This thread seems to have gone quiet on the issue of CPZ's in and around Devonshire Road but there is plenty of comment about parking problems in the House Price thread. Michael's post summarised one possible set of CPZ's that might be introduced. Is the situation getting worse as the usage of the ELL has increased, or has the parking problem stabilised? Would residents of Devonshire and surrounding roads like to see more controlled parking (at a fee of course), or are they content with the present level of problems? All comments welcomed.

Nicola11

24-02-2011 12:48 PM

We have te same problem as under 5 minutes from station. I dont think CPZ is the answer though as will generate money for the council which will not be used for the benefit of local residents and will creep up by stealth year on year.

andrewr

24-02-2011 10:50 PM

Seems like the attractions of Honor Oak Park Station as a route to town are spreading. See this thread on the East Dulwich Forum - http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/...347,626102. CPZs may not be the ideal answer but if local residents want to park near their homes then what other answer is there?

Believe it or not, Councils claim they do not make money from CPZs - the fees raised supposedly go towards administering the schemes. Just doing the consultation to introduce one apparently costs many thousands of pounds! Probably right though that the fee will creep up year by year. Still a lot cheaper than a garage which in London typically adds tens of thousands to the price of a house.

brian

26-02-2011 05:37 PM

I agree looks like CPZ's the only way to go.
If Consultations cost so much I suggest LBC just impose them as anybody can see they are now needed.
Shocked at The ED Forum encouraging lazy people to do this. Suggest we bombard parking spaces in ED so they cannot park when they come home.

devonshoreroad

14-03-2011 07:10 PM

Just to let you know that I contacted Lewisham BC today and they suggested that I get in touch with the ward councillors. I did this today and will let you know how I get on. If anyone else wants to contact them, the Forest Hill / Croften Park councillors are:

'cllr_alex.feakes@lewisham.gov.uk'; 'cllr_anne.affiku@lewisham.gov.uk'; 'cllr_philip.peake@lewisham.gov.uk'; 'cllr_jackie.addison@lewisham.gov.uk'; 'cllr_john.bowen@lewisham.gov.uk'; 'cllr_pauline.morrison@lewisham.gov.uk'

shzl400

14-03-2011 08:39 PM

Cheers - I've just written to them to say exactly why I do NOT wand a CPZ in this area.

They should spend their money instead on resurfacing Devonshire Road - it has some stretches that are really badly potholed (plus the truly enormous one one on Manor Mount, as you come out of Sainsbury's).

billham

15-03-2011 12:20 AM

I noticed that hole on Manor Mount today. It had been crudely filled with bitumen. I hope that this was some attempt at a (very) temporary fix since I was worried about my car going over it, let alone a large lorry.

devonshoreroad

15-03-2011 09:57 AM

That's fine, there are bound to be differing views. Would you mind explaining why you object? Do you live on Devonshire Road? Do you have a car? If so, are you able to park it close to your home?

For what it's worth, the reason I am for a CPZ is that my wife will soon be having a baby and wanting to move around by car during the day. As things stand she's going to end up having to park about 50 metres away during the day as we're right at the end of the road and therefore in the perfect spot for commuters.

Fish Face

15-03-2011 10:14 AM

Manor Mount isn't off Devonshire Road.

brian

15-03-2011 10:14 AM

I think the people who decide should reside in Devonshire Road. Surely not right others should be counted.

devonshoreroad

15-03-2011 10:25 AM

Fully agree. It would be wrong for the people who use the road as a free carpark to vote on it!

mrcee

15-03-2011 11:27 AM

I think people on surrounding roads need a say as well, i suspect the people of Boveney Road have a vested interest on whether people are allowed to park on Devonshire Road.

Given the speed & cost of a consultation process and then implementation, is this worth revisiting after ELL phase 2 is opened as I think this will ease some of the pressure from East Dulwich drivers.

I not opposed to CPZ but i dont want to get one when we might not need it longer term particularly as it will hurt local businesses

shzl400

15-03-2011 06:45 PM

In response to Devonshore Road, I live on one of the roads off Devonshire Road. I don't want to be in the CPZ due to the expense and inconvenience to visitors/tradespeople and I don't want to be just outside it, as we'll just get your problem secondhand, thank you so very much.

CPZ's are very expensive to implement (why, I've no idea) and I think the money could be better spent at the moment e.g on filling in the potholes. If your wife is heavily pregnant, she will definitely appreciate that - there's nothing worse than going over a road hump while in labour, believe me!

@Fish Face - yes, I know where Manor Mount is, but I put it in while I was mentioning potholes.

NewForester

15-03-2011 07:27 PM

Charges for CPZ are doubling to £120pa (up from £30 when St Davids CPZ was introduced).

The argument against a Herne Hill style CPZ is that St Davids was too small and that they would not make enough money from fines and permits to cover the running costs. Maybe having the four/five zones michael suggested would mean that there was a large enough area covered by CPZ to enable this solution to be reconsidered.

As to the initial costs being high, there a Ticket machines to install, signs to erect and the road to mark, as well as the costs of consultations. Ongoing costs include servicing of ticket machines and enforcement action / helpdesk. Any profit is supposedly ploughed back into road repairs, although I'm sure NSL take a good chunk.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Devonshire Road "spooky" house new residents? Siiri 8 10,212 07-05-2018 11:34 AM
Last Post: mrcee
  Boveney Road Residents Parking jade4692 10 10,995 12-03-2016 09:10 PM
Last Post: christgill
  Parking on Devonshire Road Choppo 48 44,875 05-10-2013 09:57 AM
Last Post: kipya
  Parking on Devonshire Road T and C 1 3,957 04-10-2010 09:26 PM
Last Post: annsquire66
  Warning to Residents on Honor Oak Road malcs 8 11,963 10-08-2010 07:58 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Parking Devonshire Road Choppo 37 34,641 04-08-2010 02:22 PM
Last Post: tripandfuschia
  Devonshire Road - Parking on the Pavement brian 15 16,762 09-12-2009 07:34 PM