SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next > Last »
Direct ELL trains to Highbury & Islington
mljay

04-03-2011 09:26 AM

great to have new destination but anyone else annoyed that the train display only shows one train now because the name is to long - can they not shorten to H'bury and Islington.... or something like that

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blushingsnail

04-03-2011 01:08 PM

I saw that last week when they were (presumably) testing the display (the trains were still terminating at Dalston Junction that day). I thought they might change it when the service started this week, but obviously not.

Does the Forest Hill Society have a regular contact at LOROL? Perhaps they could have a word.

For reference, the platform displays have 3 lines of text. The first line shows the destination and arrival time of the next train. The second line scrolls the names of the stations that train will call at. The third line scrolls the destination and arrival times of the following 2 trains.

The words 'Highbury & Islington' are too long to fit on one line, so when an ELL train is the next service, 'Highbury & Islington' takes up 2 lines and the third line shows the calling-at stations. Therefore there's no room to show the following services, which is annoying if you're waiting for a London Bridge service and want to know when it's due to arrive.

rbmartin

04-03-2011 08:00 PM

The problem affects all the former Southern stations which use the old style yellow departure totem boards.

At the new stations, they've abbreviated Islington which fits onto one line.

Thisgirl

04-03-2011 09:03 PM

This may be a ridiculous question, or perhaps the most obvious... Why don't they just scroll the top line also? It's obviously able to be programmed to be animated, as it is on a 'CORRECTION' notification.

Does anyone know why this might not be possible? Or why this isn't being done?

rbmartin

04-03-2011 09:25 PM

I believe it's down to Southern still providing the data on the boards and station announcements for the ELL stations south of New Cross Gate on behalf of LOROL, this is a legacy from the Southern franchise. These were supposed to have changed over, but kept as part of cuts to the refurbishment programme.

What LOROL can do is request Southern as the contract provider is ask them to abbreviate the word Islington to bring back the 2nd and 3rd trains back on the departure board.

LOROL provide their own service and departure boards for stations between Surrey Quays and Highbury and Islington.

squashst

05-03-2011 11:34 AM

Yes - the current set up is not good customer service -it is important that the boards should show the 23nd and 3rd trains (yes, you can have a look at the display in the station itself, but we all know that there are often slippages / changes in arrival times)!

It sounds ridiculously easy to shorten Highbury & Islington so it is on one line, but no doubt it requires a project to be raised by someone in Southern. Which requires business justification.

So get emailing and complaining to Southern and the Overground. I'm off to the respective sites right now.

roz

05-03-2011 11:58 AM

Why on earth would anyone want to go to Highbury and Islington anyway? Its the wrong end of the Holloway Road and on the border with Hackney.

rshdunlop

05-03-2011 03:06 PM

As someone who used to live right by H&I, I resent that! It's right at the top of Upper Street, which is actually quite handy if you are heading to the restaurants, shops or cinema on Upper Street or the Essex Road.

The male half of my household set off for the Arsenal this afternoon with a spring in their steps. Fifteen minutes walk max from H&I to the Emirates.

mgmonkey

05-03-2011 04:55 PM

Resentment seconded. I used to live in Stoke Newington!

rbmartin

05-03-2011 05:25 PM

Thirded. I have a friend who works in Essex Road. Used to go to LB, then the Northern to Moorgate and FCC to Essex Road.

Now, one train from FH to H&I and walk down Caledonian Road to meet up for drinkies after work.

roz

05-03-2011 08:16 PM

Seems its the place where people used to live. But apart from getting to Emirates easily ( perhaps more Forest Hillers will now become Gooners) , tell me why I would want to go there. Feel free to do a bit of place marketing.

rshdunlop

05-03-2011 09:27 PM

Roz - I'm not going to try to sell Upper Street and the Angel to you - I assume you already know what is there.

However, I do have some questions about your assumptions, as stated above.

Why do you say H&I is at the wrong end of the Holloway Road? I'd much rather be at that end than Archway. Pubs, clubs, gig venues, restaurants, all at the H&I end of Holloway Road.

Plus what is wrong with being near Hackney (not really on the border of Hackney - it's quite near Dalson, but even that is 20 minutes on the bus)? Any better than being near Catford or Lewisham?

Like most areas outside the central area of London, people will visit because they have friends and family there, or because they are familiar with the area and what it has to offer. I am sure the residents of H&I feel the same about us - but I hope they aren't all making such sweeping statements about SE23.

blushingsnail

07-03-2011 10:59 AM

Roz: there's a lovely knitting shop down at Angel but I won't say any more as the last time we discussed wool shops on here Admin closed the thread. There's also a branch of Nationwide, which will be in short supply in SE London in a couple of months. And the Estorick Collection, if you like art.

nevermodern

07-03-2011 11:21 AM

Had a great day up a the 'end of the line' on Saturday. We checked out the Estorick collection (great), design shops on Uppers Street (Gill Wing, TwentyTwentyOne, After Noah) And ended up having an amazing hot chocolate at Paul A Young's chocolatier, and Pie and Mash at the magnificent S&M cafe (the old Afredo's) on Islington Green.

roz

07-03-2011 02:14 PM

Ok,we'll have a go. I used to work in Islington Park Street many years ago but of course it will have all changed by now!

Is Highbury accessible for double buggies ie does it have a lift?

No Longer Registered

08-03-2011 08:47 AM

Absolutely. There is a lift just behind the stairs up from Platform 1 (I don't know about Platform 2). Get on the back of the train at HOP for the closest set of doors.

michael

08-03-2011 08:56 AM

152047 wrote:
Get on the back of the train at HOP for the closest set of doors.

It doesn't matter which station you get on at, just get on the rear of the train. HOP is probably the worst place to get to the platform with a buggy. Instead get on the back of the train at FH for the closest set of doors.

FHSoc

08-03-2011 04:02 PM

Reply from LOROL regarding annunciators:

Quote:
You’ll be pleased to hear that we’ve already set in motion all the actions to change the CIS displays as outlined by you. This has to go via Southern to the system operator, Amey, so there may be a delay but hopefully it won't take too long.

The change we suggested was abbreviating Highbury and Islington so that it fits on one line (as proposed above).

Sherwood

09-03-2011 03:50 PM

How early do ELL trains run in the morning?

michael

09-03-2011 04:07 PM

TfL says that a ELL train leaves FH heading north at 05:53.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields