SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Overground Fares to Honor Oak park
Redalways

06-01-2011 04:40 PM

The TFL website states that a single cash ticket from a zone 1 station to a Underground/Overground or DLR station in zone 3 (eg Honor Oak Park ,which is run by TFL) is £4 single. Yet if you ask for such a ticket the cashier and the ticket machines charge £6 single (and believe me cannot be persuaded otherwise).

Is this correct ? Has anyone else had this problem ?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rbmartin

06-01-2011 07:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if TfL's ex Southern ticketing equipment doesn't quite understand that there are two fares available for the journey into Zone 1.

It's worth contacting London Overground via the contact form in this link for a reply.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/overg...fault.aspx

rbmartin

06-01-2011 07:54 PM

Just to add, it seems HOP only has the Zone 1 via London Bridge option which is £6. Another bug for LOROL to iron out.

dbboy

06-01-2011 09:57 PM

ditto, travelling from HOP to Clapham Junction via Crystal Palace has another bug LO need to sort out as is charged as Zone 1 although it does not enter zone 1.

steveb

07-01-2011 11:52 AM

Looking at TFL's fare charts, there are two different fares for your journey:
£6 combined national rail & Underground (HOP to LB, change to tube for LB - zone 1)
£4 HOP to Zone1 using Overground & tube (change at Canada Water).

Can't see why you shouldn't be able to buy the cheaper one for that journey.

Of course, all fares are cheaper if an oyster card is used.

Redalways

07-01-2011 06:02 PM

The issue is the other way. The TFL underground stations will only sell you a £6 fare if you are going to HOP via zone 1 tube and overground. Try it !

rbmartin

07-01-2011 07:19 PM

Even when trying the station finder facility on the LUL machines?

Canada Water incidentally (Zone 2, so no help to this problem) now has a limited selection of NR stations from their machines with the correct cash fare prices.

Redalways

07-01-2011 08:27 PM

Yes the ticket machine will only sell you a £6 ticket, which was why I went to the ticket office. The clerk had the same issue.

andrewr

07-01-2011 08:45 PM

Although Honor Oak Park is run by LOROL and is served by Overground trains, the rail journey from Honor Oak Park to New Cross Gate, however you do it, is a National Rail journey. As such the National Rail + Underground fares for a Zone 1-3 journey apply. They are £6 cash £4.10 peak / £3.20 Off Peak Oyster.

The comparative fares for an Underground or Overground only journey are £4 cash, £2.90 / £2.50 Oyster.

If you travel from HOP to London Bridge, Charing Cross, Waterloo East or Victoria then it is a National Rail only journey and the fares are £3.40 cash, £2.80 / £2.00 cash.

We are still a long way from having a truly unified zonal fare system in London - a fact that bus users probably appreciate!

andrewr

07-01-2011 08:47 PM

In my previous posting, the fares quoted for Underground or Overground apply for a journey which uses any combination of Underground, Overground and DLR.

rbmartin

07-01-2011 09:32 PM

The TfL paper ticket of £4 is valid on London Overground services which are also a TfL service.

The confusion lies that London Overground is also a National Rail provider and Southern provide a service into London Bridge and Victoria, so dual tickets are available.

If the original poster purchased a Underground/DLR/Overground Z1-3 single from Oxford Circus for example without asking for HOP/Forest Hill. As long as the passenger travels via Whitechapel, Shadwell or Canada Water, the ticket is valid and if going to FH will open the barriers.

andrewr

07-01-2011 10:14 PM

Having researched further, I agree that rbmartin is correct and I'm wrong. If you look at the fares map accessible here you can see that the journey via Canada Water is shown in green and TfL fares apply whereas if you go via London Bridge the bit of the journey between NXG and LB is red so the combined TfL National Rail fares apply.

Can you buy the £4 ticket at Honor Oak Park / Forest Hill, and, if so, are you prevented from getting out of the barriers at London Bridge - or onto the Tube? Confusing isn't it? But I can't really imagine why anyone living in London would want to buy a cash ticket when it is so much cheaper and convenient to use Oyster.

rbmartin

07-01-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:
But I can't really imagine why anyone living in London would want to buy a cash ticket when it is so much cheaper and convenient to use Oyster.

True, but you're still going to get a small minority who wish to use paper tickets for various reasons inside London.

As sales for these tickets must be in the hundreds rather than the thousands, it's probably gone under LUL/LOROL's radar to update the software at stations to accept ELL stations south of New Cross Gate as TfL stations for paper tickets.

Redalways

07-01-2011 10:43 PM

I use the oyster but was trying to buy my old man a ticket from Euston Square to HOP via the overground. they will charge you £6. Sometimes we will need to buy a paper ticket

rbmartin

07-01-2011 11:23 PM

Do you still have the ticket? It's worth complaining to London Underground who operate Euston Square for selling you the wrong ticket.

In future, use the ticket machine and just purchase a Underground Z1-3 single.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields