SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Disruption to trains 28/1/08
Honor Oaker

28-01-2008 01:24 PM

I'm surprised there wasn't already already thread about the severe delays to the train service this morning. I arrived at HOP at 0830, and the crowds were 3-4 deep on the platform. In the next hour-and-three-quarters, only 2 of the scheduled 9 trains arrived, and they were too crowded to board. I eventually got on a train at 1015, but this was held up outside London Bridge for nearly an hour waiting for a platform to become available. I finally got off the train at 1130, more than two-and-a-half hours late.
The reason given for the delay was 'poor rail conditions' and the knock-on effect of a broken-down train in the Norwood Junction area. I noticed that while I was waiting at HOP, there were no trains on the fast up line either.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elizabeth25

28-01-2008 01:31 PM

Oh my. I managed to get on the 9:22 from Forest Hill. It was corwded, but fortunatly, it zipped right into London Bridge. ( I arrived at Forest Hill at 8:30). The thing that bothers me is, I checked with the Transport for London web site to see if trains were still being distrupted. The Journey Planner give you trains time like nothing has happned. However, if you go to live travel news and trains, you will see that trains on these lines are still being disrupted and cancelled. And there is a note that says all trains to and from London Bridge and London Victoria are 'subject to delays up to 60 minutes or cancellation"

Can't wait for the journey home this evening. A fresh hell every day--and we pay for the privilege.

Ghis

28-01-2008 01:33 PM

I took the 7:34 at HOP which arrived at 7:39 and was very full but we alsmost all managed to get on. The people at Brockley were not so lucky. They were already announcements about the broken-down trains at 7:30. When I saw how busy the station was at 7:30 I just assumed the 7:23 had been cancelled.

grahamw

28-01-2008 01:35 PM

It was absolutely ridiculous. What made it worse at FH is that they kept announcing 'delays' at first, not cancellations... therefore we were all stood there for an hour and a half like mugs. If they had just said 'all the trains are cancelled' at least we could have got on a bus there and then. I ended up getting a refund and getting the bus....

By the way, did you know that if you use your card to purchase a ticket, the rail personnel have access to a lot of personal information, including:

- Full name
- Full bank card number
- sort code
- Address

I only found out after the guy giving me the refund at FH kindly pointed it out. All it would take is one corrupt cashier and hey presto...

davidl

28-01-2008 01:40 PM

Southern only acknowledged at 12:25 on their own website that there was a problem:

Quote:
Line problem.
Train services on all routes are being disrupted due to poor weather conditions earlier.Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays of up to 60 minutes can be expected.

I cycled in this morning (after last week's misery I couldn't face another week on the train). Decision had been made over the weekend, and after seeing colleagues arriving in my office 1/2/more hours late, I am definitely glad I did it.

Londondrz

28-01-2008 01:50 PM

Left Fh this morning at 7:40 and was at my desk in Bank by 8:00, admittedly it was cold and foggy but nothing like a nice motorcycle ride to freshen ones day.

Dont let the train take the strain, it cannot. Cycle or motorbike all the way!!

robwinton

28-01-2008 02:02 PM

yes, my wife also told me of the problems - she was trying for the 8:42. She ended up on a bus to Elephant & Castle and I think arrived in around 1.5 to 2 hours late.

Absolutely ridiculous.

How does mist stop trains? Or was this The Fog of movie fame?

roz

28-01-2008 02:09 PM

I hate to repeat myself, Madbut unless you get together to do something about it, then this Cursingwill be your life until the ELLX arrives. And then of course there will be further problems as commuting patterns will have changed by then bringing a host of other issues.
And we can't even blame Margaret Thatcher any more.....Sneaky

Elizabeth25

28-01-2008 02:12 PM

How was the Bath to Bristol Cattle Train this morning organized?

Ghis

28-01-2008 02:17 PM

I have bought a scooter not just because of the regular overcrowding and disruptions but because my train journey + walk + tube is 1h whereas the scooter ride is 30min. I work around 11h a day so I could do with spending 1h a day less commuting. 5h a week, saved each week x 47 weeks, 235 hours not sitting in public transports a year that I can spend instead on hobbies, chiiling out or at the gym.

Elizabeth25

28-01-2008 03:01 PM

Can we have a thread marked 'Cycle/scooter smugness' where people can post all day about how great their cycle into work is. And leave the train whinging threads to people who are frightened about becomming early organ doners on the city streets!

CBRoad

28-01-2008 03:05 PM

For everyone who is thinking about getting home this evening. I was supposed to be at work at London Bridge for midday and arrived about ? hour ago. I got on the train at HOP at 11.26, moved for about 30 seconds and sat between stations for over 2 hours. In that time only 2 trains passed me going in the opposite direction.

You have been warned & good luck!

Londondrz

28-01-2008 03:05 PM

Elizabeth25 wrote:
Can we have a thread marked 'Cycle/scooter smugness' where people can post all day about how great their cycle into work is. And leave the train whinging threads to people who are frightened about becomming early organ doners on the city streets!

or a thread on people being assaulted and beaten up on trains!!

Lets face it, no mode of transport is 100% safe but I personally prefere to dodge the useless drivers of SE London than get crammed in a tin can going nowhere (that applies to both cars and trains).

mandy_playbox

28-01-2008 03:08 PM

I usually cycle to work but I've hurt my knee so couldn't this morning. I arrived at the train station at about 8:05, spotted the trouble and immediately went to catch a bus instead. The only bus that goes anywhere near where I work is the 176, but two of them came and both were terminating at Camberwell Green. So I went home and called in sick... which isn't a complete lie - I had contemplated doing it before I even got up.

Think I'll cycle tomorrow whatever my knee is like.

mandy_playbox

28-01-2008 03:13 PM

Elizabeth25 wrote:
And leave the train whinging threads to people who are frightened about becomming early organ doners on the city streets!

Cycling isn't as dangerous as non-cyclists think.
I'd rather cycle in London than on country roads anyway.

michael

28-01-2008 03:29 PM

CBRoad wrote:
For everyone who is thinking about getting home this evening. I was supposed to be at work at London Bridge for midday and arrived about ? hour ago. I got on the train at HOP at 11.26, moved for about 30 seconds and sat between stations for over 2 hours. In that time only 2 trains passed me going in the opposite direction.

You have been warned & good luck!

Keep an eye on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_bu...today.html

currently saying:
"Alterations and delays to services of up to 50 minutes can be expected.
The estimated time for a normal service to resume is 15:00"

However, I think I might get the 176 tonight.

PackOfDusters

28-01-2008 03:34 PM

Oh dear what a nightmare.
I arrived at Forest Hill at 7:15, saw that the next train was cancelled and immediately left to walk instead. Glad I did, but sorry for all of you who suffered this morning.

michael

28-01-2008 03:41 PM

michael wrote:
Keep an eye on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_bu...today.html

currently saying:
"Alterations and delays to services of up to 50 minutes can be expected.
The estimated time for a normal service to resume is 15:00"

This has now moved to 'cleared services' http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_bu...eared.html
So expect a perfect service tonight on the way home, but be prepared for disappointment.

michael

28-01-2008 04:10 PM

michael wrote:
This has now moved to 'cleared services' http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_bu...eared.html
So expect a perfect service tonight on the way home, but be prepared for disappointment.

Poor rail conditions affecting Southern services
Last Updated: 16:00
Route Affected: All Southern services
Description: Southern train services on all routes are being affected by poor rail conditions.
Alterations and delays to services of up to 50 minutes can be expected.
There is currently no estimated time for a normal service to resume.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_bu...today.html

Back to plan 176

Grangerover

28-01-2008 04:27 PM

michael wrote:
There is currently no estimated time for a normal service to resume.

Sums it up. How about 2010? (and I don't mean 8.10pm)

It was a shocking nightmare this morning. The indicator boards were still showing trains as due to arrive on time right up until the minute they were due. Then 10 minutes later it would say 'cancelled.' How much does this utterly useless system cost Southern?

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields