SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Clever cat of the Shipman/Siddons/PerryVale/Woolstone rd square
Cellar Door

29-01-2011 03:49 PM

jon14 wrote:
Or set a video camera up.

My folks bought a small retirement farm in New Zealand in the 1980’s. I visited each summer for a few years when we had our long holiday recess from uni.
They lived in the Northlands dairy district north of Auckland which had plenty of Brown Rats or Norway Rats.

Each evening they would enter into the house through very sneaky ways. I think they may even have had a spare set of house keys. I woke one night with one of them sitting on my chest. Very inquisitive little creatures.

I wanted to double check though if it was a Brown Rat or maybe it was a possum as they sometimes came inside. It was dark as I fumbled around to find the light switch and whatever it was had scuttled away very quickly. So, like jon14 suggested I set up a video camera (VHS, no less) and put out some nibbles and some water in the middle of an unfolded New Zealand Herald broadsheet.

The rat that I caught on video was some size. From nose to tail it was longer than half the broadsheet. Yikes!

Brown Rat

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Clever cat of the Shipman/Siddons/PerryVale/Woolstone rd square - Cellar Door - 29-01-2011 03:49 PM