SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Clever cat of the Shipman/Siddons/PerryVale/Woolstone rd square
Elizabeth25

31-12-2010 11:16 AM

OK, so someone who owns a cat on one of these streets should know they own a very clever cat.

For the past few nights a (we think smoky brown - tufts of hair) has opened up the locked cat flap and eaten our cat's food.

So we didn't leave food out last night, but the cat still managed to open the cat flap and try (unsuccessfully) to get the bag of cat food off the table.

So, this isn't a complaint (there isn't much anyone can do - except ban cat training and discourage feline ambition). We are going to try and block the cat flap with a piece of wood at night.

But if anyone's cat is gaining weight...he/she's been making midnight raids
Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kipya

01-01-2011 11:25 AM

Ah the cat burglar (see thread 'Burglaries'). The cure, it would appear, would be to catch the cat and punish severely - with the cat? (pace Brian). Some would simply have the cat left to rot in a wheelie bin. So you see there are well thought through solutions to the problem.

keithparrot

10-01-2011 08:50 PM

Are you sure your 'feline' visitor isn't simply wishful thinking clouding your judgement? Sounds like a bad case of mice to me.

Keith

rymerster

10-01-2011 10:11 PM

Indeed, and maybe rats - they are very cunning and more common than you'd think - they love pet food. Your own cat won't go near them, unlike mice which it would be more likely to frighten off.

Elizabeth25

11-01-2011 08:06 AM

The food was consumed too well for it to be mice. (I hope not a rat!) but there was a tuft of brown fur on the cat flap. I do think it is a cat. The plank of wood across the cat flap seems to be working now.

NigelPrice

24-01-2011 02:10 PM

I wonder if we have a rat problem in the area, I think Elizabeth should seek expert advice on what hair was found on her cat flap, to clear this up.

Zimmerman

24-01-2011 03:42 PM

Well it was not me!
or Mickey

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Elizabeth25

24-01-2011 05:33 PM

We have had subsequent visits, since the plank of wood (which has proved useless.)

I did tape up the bottom of the cat flap, but the tape I used also proved useless. I may move to tougher duct tape. (oh, God, I hope it's not a rat)

keithparrot

24-01-2011 07:28 PM

If I were you I'd get Rentokil in - there are rats abound in London and if you are serving-up a fine meaty supper for them every night, then you're likely to be a victim.

Check under kitchen units, any gaps (regardless of how small) that might allow the blighters to get from beneath the floorboards into your home. And if in doubt, set some traps - you can get hold of some decent ones from Homebase.

Keith.

kipya

24-01-2011 10:56 PM

Have you considered that it might be a squirrel? Even worse than ratsncats.

NigelPrice

25-01-2011 01:32 PM

Re: Keith
Are you an expert on the matter of rodents?
This is a serious issue and one that should be dealt with by professionals only.

Nigel

blushingsnail

25-01-2011 01:57 PM

I once phoned Lewisham's pest control department (or whatever it's called) and was told that rats are unlikely to enter a home (unlike mice). I'd be worried if I thought it might be a rat or squirrel. Perhaps you could put down a layer of sand or flour and check for paw prints? I hope it's just a very cheeky cat.

keithparrot

25-01-2011 07:39 PM

Nigel - thanks for your interest. My father (for his sins) was a rat-catcher for nigh on thirty years - he's probably caught more rodents than you've had hummous sandwiches.

NigelPrice

25-01-2011 09:47 PM

I'm sorry Keith, I don't follow your quip.
I think this matter should be dealt with by the recognised industry professionals and not someone whose father dealt with rodents.

Elizabeth25

26-01-2011 12:09 PM

Rat debates aside. Why has this thread been moved to 'Wider topics' This *cat* is definitely an SE23 cat. The duct tape is going up, tonight.

NigelPrice

26-01-2011 01:26 PM

If you could let us know how successful the duct tape is, that would be very helpful.

shzl400

26-01-2011 08:15 PM

Nigel, to be fair Keith's first post starts "If I were you I'd get Rentokil in" - you can't accuse him of not recommending industry professionals!

NigelPrice

28-01-2011 01:00 PM

Re: shzl400
My comment was only experts should deal with this, not everyone suggesting what it could be.

Regards

jon14

28-01-2011 01:49 PM

Blimey Nigel - lighten up - the only person that suggested anything was Keith - and he said 'call the professionals'. Apart from blushingsnail who suggested something was put down to gather evidence.

I think I'd call the council if I had an infestation, but if it's something coming through the cat flap, it's unlikely.

Elizabeth25, the best way to find out what's going on is to turn all the lights off and sit up high somewhere and wait where you can see the bowl. Then you'll see what's coming in and where it's coming from. It takes a little bravery, and patience, but it's the best way. Or set a video camera up.

Elizabeth25

28-01-2011 04:47 PM

Duct tape over the cat flap does seem to be working. I am pretty sure it was a cat. I heard it come in and run out quickly one night at 1:00 am.

The initial thread was to alert any cat owners in the area, who's cat might be gaining weight, that they had a midnight raider.

But I do appreciate all the 'infestation' advice. Don't fall out over a few pence worth of Sainsbury's brand cat nibbles chaps. Smile

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields