SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (30): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next > Last »
English Usage
DerbyHillTop

18-05-2011 11:57 PM

Thanks seeformiles for you last comment. I too see feminism as all embracing.

Rereading the posts again I am now completely confused by Michael's post. So probably missing the point completely again but if you want to talk about gender inequalities both ways, surely it is just enough to call it gender inequalities. Why would feminism or some other ism or anti need to be a reference point?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

19-05-2011 08:20 AM

Wikipedia combined definition:
Feminism is a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women.

It is those last two words that are important, and that make the concept different from a philosophy that wishes to remove all gender inequalities.

The fight for equality for women is still an important one, as women often suffer from poor opportunities and rights in our society. But it should be a fight for equality for all genders. If this is what people mean when they talk about feminism then they should recognise that the term is loaded to imply that it is always rights for women is always most important - just like spaceman implies that women can't go into space. Gender neutral language is part of the solution and something that feminists have fought for but I would have thought it was obvious that it should work both ways.

DerbyHillTop

19-05-2011 10:22 AM

Surely once women have equal opportunities in all respects to men, men will have the same opportunities too.

On a more serious side that is one definition, and lot of feminsts will add 'and men' at the end of wikipidia definition.
I just checked and it says:

Quote:
Feminism is a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women.[1][2][3] Its concepts overlap with those of women's rights. Feminism is mainly focused on women's issues, but because feminism seeks gender equality, some feminists argue that men's liberation is therefore a necessary part of feminism, and that men are also harmed by sexism and gender roles.

michael

19-05-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:
...men's liberation is therefore a necessary part of feminism....

Which is why the name is so inappropriate. I have a problem with my 'liberation' being classed as part of feminism. There is an issue of ownership. And whilst I would like to consider myself as a feminist in many ways, I am primarily against any gender discrimination.

spud

24-05-2011 12:07 PM

Can't see why it's an either/or issue.

Feminism is for feminists - who specifically want to advance the cause of women in regard of gender equality. Most of the people who'd define themselves as feminists are likely to be women.

Whereas, if someone of either sex is against gender discrimination, and if they regard that discrimination as affecting both sexes, then they can't they just say they're 'against gender discrimination'? Of 'for gender equality'? Or, if a snappier -ism is required, then 'anti-sexist' might do at a pinch.

(Although I would personally wonder whether proudly claiming any of the above labels would make me sound a bit of a self-important unctuous berk, even though I'm sympathetic to feminism.)

robin orton

01-07-2011 03:40 PM

Do I see an interesting new usage emerging on the thread about the teachers' strike - 'striked' rather than 'struck' as the past tense of 'strike' (as in 'to go on')? I don't think I've come across it before.

rshdunlop

01-07-2011 04:04 PM

I wouldn't use either. I think the noun is 'strike' but the verb is 'to be on strike' so I would use 'were on strike' or 'went on strike'.

Jane_D

01-07-2011 04:16 PM

Interesting. I would say

'The teachers were on strike that day'

or possibly even

'The teachers were striking that day'

but never 'That was the day the teachers struck'.

Maybe because 'struck' sounds too fast and finite, whereas 'strking' conveys the sense of time which is a necessary part of going on strike - striking for a single moment wouldn't do the job.

brian

01-07-2011 04:19 PM

Ladies and Gents are not the same.
Programme on BBC 1 about the origin of our species which emphasised this.

Of course they should be treated equally where possible but there are many examples where it has gone too far.

For instance the size of the Police has reduced a great deal in my lifetime.
Some of the ladies look like they could be blown over. Because of equality they are now accepting reduced men size as well.
Police have a tough job to do and the criminal fraternity are often larger than the Police.

Both sexes should be treated with respect but they are not the same and certain occupations are better done by either sex.

Zimmerman

01-07-2011 04:37 PM

Can you give a hand to open the door?
How do you think it should be asked.
Could you use the hand to open the door?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

robin orton

01-07-2011 05:12 PM

Er..... 'English usage', Brian and Zimmerman?

In response to Rachael and Jane, I think I have come across 'struck' in this context, although I can't prove it. But I agree it sounds a bit odd - perhaps it's journalese.

rshdunlop

01-07-2011 05:15 PM

Maybe have a look at who used 'struck' and see if it fits in with their general writing style. It may be just idiosyncratic usage by one person.

roz

01-07-2011 08:20 PM

Brian, I have never come across a thread before discussing reduced size policemen let alone the concept of the force having to lower its minimum height criteria as part of its equal opportunities policy. I was however once told that that the Met police tended to be shorter as they couldn't recruit and therefore had to be less fussy. Its an interesting evening and this is becoming an interesting thread.

robin orton

07-07-2011 10:57 AM

I've noticed recently that people on the wireless are increasingly saying 'at the minute' rather than 'at the moment'. (Perhaps also 'for the minute' instead of 'for the moment'.) Interesting but inconclusive discussion about this here. It seems others first noticed it some time ago. Not an American import, apparently. Does any dialect of British English use it?

brian

07-07-2011 12:25 PM

i agree Robin , where did this come from.
I listen to the wireless a lot ,the language is getting worse.
Bring back The Venerable Bede.

robin orton

07-07-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:
I listen to the wireless a lot ,the language is getting worse.
Bring back The Venerable Bede.

But didn't he write in Latin? Are you up for it, Brian?

Salvete, ecce programma Hodie, cum Johanne Humphreys et Jacobo Naughtie.... ???

stefan

07-07-2011 04:15 PM

To be well , Today , when Johanne Humphreys and Jacobo Naughtie.??? the WOVEN FABRIC you wish to transfer of the body of a saint the Lower World.

brian

07-07-2011 04:27 PM

He would have certainly spoken Northumbrian Angle ish.

robin orton

07-07-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:
To be well , Today , when Johanne Humphreys and Jacobo Naughtie

My dog-Latin was actually intended to mean, 'Good morning, this is the Today programme, with John Humphreys and James Naughtie'.

Quote:
the WOVEN FABRIC you wish to transfer of the body of a saint the Lower World

Couldn't agree more, Stefan.

robin orton

08-07-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:
He would have certainly spoken Northumbrian Angle ish.

Brian, can't resist reporting that I asked a Geordie (Northumbrian Angle) friend about this last night. He said he was brought up to say 'at the minute' rather than 'at the moment.' Perhaps Bede did the same!

Pages (30): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields