SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (30): « First < Previous 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 Next > Last »
English Usage
robin orton

05-05-2015 07:59 AM

'Nepaul' (which is what I was brought up on) or 'Nepahl'?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

05-05-2015 09:09 AM
robin orton

05-05-2015 09:23 AM

It says that's the 'local pronunciation.' Are we obliged to use it?

michael

05-05-2015 10:08 AM

Good question Robin:
Italians don't call Florence 'Florence', German's don't know where Cologne is.
French call London 'Londres'
Many places in Belgium have two names
Americans pronounce Leicester as 'Ly-chester'. A few Americans even pronounce Edinburgh as Edinberg
Nobody outside Israel talks about Bet-Lechem and beyond the Arab world it is rarely referred to as Bayt-Lachum. I was quite surprised when it turned out I was in the middle of Bethlehem.

So really it shouldn't matter too much how you pronounce the name of a place. But the closest to 'correct' has to be the local pronunciation.

Tim Lund

05-05-2015 05:50 PM

Quote:
the closest to 'correct' has to be the local pronunciation.

Or to be completely objective about this, the current tendency is for pronunciation of foreign names to move towards the local, at least in England. An example from long past is Milan, now pronounced as the Italians do, with the stress on the second syllable. To add the final 'o' would be pretentious, as would any attempt to reproduce the actual phonemes used by the Dutch in say, 'Utrecht', or the French in 'Paris'. So I don't think you can say 'correct' is closest to local pronunciation, or vice versa, which I think is logically equivalent.

This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 05:50 PM by Tim Lund.

robin orton

06-05-2015 09:54 AM

I still try to remember to write, and say, 'Marseilles' and 'Lyons', and even 'Leghorn' and 'Constantinople', but I recognize that this is looking increasingly affected or eccentric.

A movement in the opposite direction is in the use of foreign titles. The BBC used to refer to 'Herr Brandt', 'Signor de Gasperi' and 'Monsieur Pineau'. Now they'd all be 'Mister.'

Mr_Numbers

06-05-2015 12:26 PM

It used to drive me nuts when BBC newsreader Huw Edwards would pronounce Nicolas Sarkozi as though Edwards was a particularly affected Parisian - nee-koh-la saar-koh-zee, with equal emphasis on all syllables. The logical extension of his approach would have been to pronounce Ian Paisley with a heavy Belfast accent, George Dubya Bush the way any self-respecting Texan would say it, and Silvio Berlusconi as though one were ordering pasta and wine.

Mr_Numbers

06-05-2015 12:29 PM

Meanwhile, back at the 'verbing' and 'nouning', this sentence occurred to me last night:

Management b****cks: "I've been tasked to work on the company project. It's a big ask."

English: "I've been asked to work on the company project. It's a big task."

robin orton

06-05-2015 03:44 PM

Very neat!

Mr_Numbers

13-05-2015 08:14 AM

I don't know when 'witness' became 'eyewitness', but it can have some hilarious consequences, such as this headline in the BBC News BlackBerry app:

Quote:
Amtrak train eyewitness: 'I heard a bang'

What? With your eyes?

robin orton

18-05-2015 10:55 AM

'Do sit down.' 'Do try a Duchy Original.' 'Do shut up.'

Is 'do' here (= 'I strongly urge you to') old-fashioned, posh, polite or just British?

'Do debate me, one on one' doesn't sound quite right.

'Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer.....'?

robin orton

14-06-2015 04:17 PM

Can 'yoofs' be white?

rshdunlop

14-06-2015 04:23 PM

Is this in reference to my usage of 'yoofs' elsethread? Because it didn't refer to any ethnic group, and I don't think of the terms excluding white kids.

Mr_Numbers

14-06-2015 04:36 PM

I immediately associate 'yoof' with 'television' and Janet Street-Porter. So - no ethnicity implied, AFAIK.

Probably showing my age, again, though...

robin orton

14-06-2015 05:29 PM

'Youth' (or 'yoof') as a collective noun (youth club, youth culture) clearly hasn't any ethnic connotations. But as applied to an individual person - a youth/yoof, youths/yoofs?

I first came across that usage in fairy stories as a child - youths and maidens - and always assumed it was archaic or at least old-fashioned or provincial ; I remember thinking it odd when my South Yorkshire born grandfather said, 'When I was a youth...' If I am right about that, why has the word come back into everyday usage?

Nowadays it always seems to me to have a slightly pejorative tone - would you refer to your favourite nephew as a 'youth' or to the Scouts doing a wonderful job helping old people as 'youths'? 'Youths' or 'yoofs' implies to me 'getting up to no good' And it also implies to me - perhaps wrongly, in the light of what Rachael and Mr_Numbers say - that it is probably being applied to young people (a better term, in my view) who are, at any rate mainly, black.

rshdunlop

14-06-2015 05:39 PM

Youths - not pejorative. For example, many of the services for young people are referred to as 'youth' services. If I wanted to identify a lad (not a girl) who was neither a boy nor a man, I might refer to him as a youth.

Yoofs is different to 'youth'. Yes, I used it to suggest 'up to no good' but in a very minor, light-hearted way. Hanging around, doing nothing useful in a way that would make and mother in (early) middle-age like me wag my finger. Not suggest criminal or disruptive behaviour. I chose it deliberately and put it in inverted commas because, as mentioned, it was really coined by the media and refers to a social group rather than anything sinister.

Never, ever have I thought it referred to any one ethnic group, or excluded any.

Mr_Numbers

14-06-2015 05:49 PM

I'm going to make a totally wild guess here and suggest that 'young' is out of favour because of implications of relative age - eg, 'You're too young to know...' or 'You're not old enough to realise that...'

'Youth' is a kind of branding of an age group, I guess. And in fact it's a word that (were I to be serious for a moment, which is somewhat improbable) I would connect in a word association game with 'worker' - 'youth worker' - or 'culture' - 'youth culture'. There is (very arguably, I grant you) the notion of a social identity that is associate with age but without any judgemental or relativistic connotation associated with any other age group. 'Youth' stands on its own; 'young' is relative to 'old'.

You're all entitled to say this is total b****cks of course. But even so, I personally definitely don't associate it with ethnicity.

Edit: Looks like rshdunlop and I were hitting the keyboard at the same time and came to the same conclusion Wink

This post was last modified: 14-06-2015 05:51 PM by Mr_Numbers.

robin orton

14-06-2015 08:05 PM

My wife thinks I'm wrong too. Roma locuta est, causa finita est.

Mr_Numbers

14-06-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:
My wife thinks I'm wrong too. Roma locuta est, causa finita est.

I didn't know what this meant - then I ran it through Google Translate - and now I can't stop laughing! Rofl
https://translate.google.com/#la/en/Roma...nita%20est

This post was last modified: 14-06-2015 10:55 PM by Mr_Numbers.

Mr_Numbers

24-06-2015 01:04 PM

So Radio 4 Today programme host John Humphrys has been going on about people beginning sentences inappropriately with the word 'so'.

Details here, but be warned: it's in the Daily Mail; click at your peril. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...peech.html

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields