SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Please put swings back in the Triangle!
roz

23-12-2010 10:46 PM

As a local parent of young children I find we have to travel some distance to find swings suitable for both young toddlers and older children. There are some in Baxters Fields but not a lot else there to maintain interest. Since they were removed from the Triangle playground the nearest are in Peckham Rye Park and Dulwich Park, a bus/car ride away and also some in Goose Green which is also a very nicely designed and inclusive play area for a range of ages but its a bus ride/drive away. Its not something which can be done easily on a daily basis therefore.

I have never understood why they were taken away completely from the Triangle and why there are no plans to put them back as they are a popular activity for very young children and for many the only activity they can do in a playground. A playground without swings really doesn't cut the mustard from an inclusive point of view therefore.

Is anyone else interested in trying to get swings back in the Triangle for local children by spring 2011, and if so any ideas on how to start? I wondered about the Localities Fund as a starting point, assuming it was still available in this current climate. Possibly private fundraising would be required as theres likely to be no further monies available from the local authority unless there is something left over from the previous playbuilder programmes.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
derbybill

24-12-2010 07:52 PM

I assume you mean the Horniman Triangle, not the Bermuda Triangle!
Have you climbed up Blythe Hill to try out the new play park?

If you are serious about a campaign to bring back swings and the like to the Triangle, suggest you contact the Friends of Blythe Hill Fields who have done a great programme of improvements with all sorts of funds, working with Lewisham Council, local councillors and the Crofton Park Assembly.

However the financial climate is, like the weather, bleedin' freezin'.
Have a look at
http://www.blythehillfields.org.uk

sydenhamhiller

29-12-2010 07:22 PM

Hear hear Roz, I feel your pain - I look after 2 one-year olds, and apart from the sand, everything else involves a long-drop!

When my own children were tiny, quite often we were the only people in the playground - ever since the sand pit there are a lot of se22 visitors (and very welcome they are too), maybe it's worth posting on the eastdulwichforum too?

michael

03-02-2012 10:13 PM

Following funding secured by the Forest Hill Society from the ward assembly work will start on Monday installing swings in the Horniman Triangle.

The plan is for five swings; two flats swings, two swings with bars for babies, and one 'birds nest' swing for sharing and for children with mobility difficulties.

In addition there will be two all weather games tables suitable for table tennis for older children or for adults to use.

I'm not sure how long the work will take and some machinery may need to be brought in to facilitate the installation, but by the Easter holidays we will have some fantastic new facilities in the park.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

04-02-2012 08:06 AM

Excellent news

Deano

04-02-2012 01:14 PM

That is excellent news. They were a glaring omission. Now we just need a proper cafe......

OakR

04-02-2012 08:34 PM

Great stuff!

edd

05-02-2012 08:46 PM

Superb!

PLEASE let them be proper big swings with long chains and a decent swing/parabola/whatever the word is. The old ones were the best in SE23/SE22.

Not that I ever tried them out. obviously. Wink

ladywotlunches

07-02-2012 09:12 PM

Great news Michael, and well done to the Forest Hill Soc for getting this valuable addition to what is a great play area, but will be even better with swings!

Londondrz

08-02-2012 10:43 AM

Very pleased to hear this news. Well done to everyone concerned.

michael

17-02-2012 09:51 AM

Rumours are that the swings have been installed (I haven't seen for myself).

Last night I dreamt that they had indeed installed swings, and filled in the sandpit to make space! There were also two slides, one tiny one, and the other far too big, directly on top of it.

Sometimes I get very angry in my sleep Angry

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

17-02-2012 11:04 AM

They definitely had the wooden frames up by the end of last week or early this week as I spotted them on my cycle back from work. Not sure if they had the swings and were usable though.

FHSoc

17-02-2012 12:16 PM

For those who cannot wait, there are photos on our website

OakR

17-02-2012 12:20 PM

Great work by all involved!

edd

21-02-2012 10:59 PM

OMG a basket swing. Wooo! Thumbsup

michael

06-06-2012 01:49 PM

Water pump in the sandpit was fixed and switched on this morning with the handle re-instated.

michael

11-06-2012 09:04 AM

I went down to the Triangle on Saturday when there was glorious sunshine (it did happen), there were puddles everywhere suggesting that the hand pump had been working hard all day.

The table tennis table should arrive this week and the cafe is arranging to stock bats and balls for hire, or you can bring along your own.

And within Horniman Gardens there is the new musical play area to complement the hands-on room inside the museum. And according to the signs, the animals will be arriving in the park in the autumn.

So much to entertain little people!

michael

24-08-2012 12:41 PM

The table tennis table is now in place, close to the cafe. Picture available on the Forest Hill Society website

Unfortunately the water pump did not last long and has not been fixed.

michael

26-08-2012 09:47 PM

Bats are available for hire for £1.50 for 30 minutes from the cafe, or you can bring your own.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields