SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Help! we need another Scout Leader.
East-of-the-Rye

11-12-2010 08:19 PM

A Peckham Rye Scout Troop (boys & girls aged 10 – 14 years old) needs an energetic (male) leader or trainee leader to work with, and complement the existing leader and other helpers.

Ideally you’ll have been a Scout yourself, but training will be given and the important thing is the enthusiasm to keep the Scouts busy, active and interested.

The group meets 6pm – 8pm on Thursdays in term time on Peckham Rye East, has 2 – 3 weekend camps per year, (usually with other groups,) as well as other occasional events (night hikes, fundraising). Some planning and preparation of meetings and events is also needed. Scout leaders are CRB checked.

This is a hugely rewarding role. If you are interested and want to know more, please p.m. me or telephone Carolyn on 020 7732 2075

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

14-12-2010 11:33 AM

Good Luck in finding a suitable person.
I know when I was in the cubs and scouts at St Bart's Sydenham in 50's and early 60's many good people willing to give up their spare time for nothing.
Unfortunately community spirit not so great now adays .
Also I would think many would be put of by this Criminal Records check. I could not believe it when I saw a flower arranger , about 65 , had been sacked from a Cathedral because she refused to go through checks. Life has gone mad.
Once again good, luck and thanks for all your good work.

AMFM

14-12-2010 03:32 PM

Why can you not believe it Brian? I know nothing about the story but as this person works in a cathedral, presumably he/she would have occasion to be in regular contact with the altar boys and girls.

The Church doesn't exactly have a good track record on child protection - at least in this instance they appear to be taking their responsibilities seriously.

brian

14-12-2010 04:00 PM

This is a grandmother who usually arranges flowers with other ladies . Apparently the others have resigned in protest.
Also was a C of E Cathedral not Catholic.

Anyway good luck to the Scout Troup looking for a helper.

AMFM

14-12-2010 06:45 PM

Because of course the catholics have a monopoly on child abuse...

I am sure that she is a lovely woman and a pillar of the community but just becasue she is a grandmother etc makes not one jot of difference.

NewForester

14-12-2010 07:27 PM

We're talking about somebody who arranges flowers in a vase for goodness sake. She's not giving classes to bunches of children, nor surreptitiously slipping a rose into a vase while the choir practice.

CRB checks are only required for any work which is defined as regulated activity relating to children (or vulnerable adults) within the meaning of Part 1 (or 2) of Schedule 4 to the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006. Flower arranging is not such a task, excepting that it (possibly) gives that person the opportunity, in consequence of anything (s)he is permitted or required to do in connection with the activity, to have contact with children. If you read the story, she never had contact with children as part of her job and is quite within her rights to refuse a CRB check.

Maybe we should ban choristers instead.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields