SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Youth Behaviour
gingernuts

28-01-2008 10:38 AM

lillam wrote:
Factors that contribute to bad behaviour of kids today are:
-Poverty

Poverty! Are you kiddin? No one starves in the country anymore. Education and NHS are free to all, social benefits are generous (which is one of the reasons why the UK is magnet for poorer migrants). What its really about is 'wanting more'. We live in a society were people believe it's their 'right' to have it all. Thus the level of debt so many people get themselves into.

And what's the deal with bashing the Daily Mail? I'd say hoody fights on Brighton Beach would be front page news for every English newspaper (with the exception of the Independent who rarely follow the pack on their front page). I'd say the Express and the Times would equally relish the story!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

28-01-2008 10:45 AM

gingernuts wrote:

lillam wrote:
Factors that contribute to bad behaviour of kids today are:
-Poverty

Poverty! Are you kiddin? No one starves in the country anymore.

Poverty these days is "I haven't got a wii". It's not about how much money you've got, but what you spend it on.

BarCar

28-01-2008 12:43 PM

gingernuts wrote:
Poverty! Are you kiddin? No one starves in the country anymore.

Not that it excuses bad behaviour, but to be pedantic...

The author of a BBC article wrote:
The widely accepted definition of poverty is having an income which is less than 60% of the national average (excluding the wealthiest members of society). On this measure, the proportion of the UK population defined as in poverty is roughly one in five.

Poverty is alive and well in the UK. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4070112.stm for more.

gingernuts

28-01-2008 01:02 PM

Oh yes, sorry I forgot that the term Poverty has been reclassified.
Even so, I hardly think this is a factor when we look at bad behaviour. Given that 1 in 5 of the population are considered to be in so called poverty, that's an aweful lot of bad behaviour! In addition it's an insult to those hard working families that have little income but keep their kids under control and takes no account of middle class families that let their hoodie kids run riot.Smile

Becca

31-01-2008 10:56 PM

Johnc wrote:
Okay here's a topic for debate. What can we do to improve the behaviour of the youth of se23. Assuming of course it needs improving. Not what's wrong with them but what can WE do to constructively move things forward?

Personally, I think we should petition for a cinema in Forest Hill, like the Brixton Ritzy, with films for the youth, older people and everyone in between. Apparently the SE23/Sydenham youngsters want a cinema - and I know I do - and if there were some other activities there as well, like a cafe-bar and music nights, then that would give everyone somewhere pleasant to go and help bring the community and the different generations together. So if anyone out there wants to help me petition for a cinema (after two emails to the Lewisham mayor I am still awaiting a reply) then please get in touch! Glare

steveb

01-02-2008 10:13 AM

I'd love a local cinema, but why do you think the Council should provide it? Shouldn't you be petitioning Odeon cinemas?

Becca

01-02-2008 10:27 AM

steveb wrote:
I'd love a local cinema, but why do you think the Council should provide it? Shouldn't you be petitioning Odeon cinemas?

Hi, I don't think the council should provide it, but they do need to help in the search for a plot of land. I did pitch the idea to the Picturehouse group, which owns the Ritzy, and they were more than willing to come for a meeting with the council. But when I emailed the mayor to suggest a plot, he did not reply. The main thing needed is a plot of land for the cinema/coffee bar. It is quite a tall order, but not impossible I am sure, especially if the council was willing to support it.

BarCar

01-02-2008 10:38 AM

Becca wrote:
Hi, I don't think the council should provide it, but they do need to help in the search for a plot of land. I did pitch the idea to the Picturehouse group, which owns the Ritzy, and they were more than willing to come for a meeting with the council. But when I emailed the mayor to suggest a plot, he did not reply. The main thing needed is a plot of land for the cinema/coffee bar. It is quite a tall order, but not impossible I am sure, especially if the council was willing to support it.

Isn't the guy who owns the Rivoli Ballroom looking to sell? See http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=253.

Seems like a win-win to me. The venue is preserved (restored to it's original function as the Crofton Park Picture Palace), Lewisham get a PR win for preserving a listed building, the owner gets the cash he needs, Picturehouse get a new venue in a prime catchment area on the borders of Forest Hill, Honor Oak and Brockley and we get a local arthouse cinema.

shzl400

01-02-2008 10:38 AM

Got a newsletter from Lib Dems last night which seems to suggest that the pool project is in deep trouble. However, together with Louise House could there be some scope for something there??

gingernuts

01-02-2008 10:42 AM

At the risk of sounding like a party pooper, what makes anyone think a Cinema would be popular? I just cant see it working in Forest Hill. Especially when old people can sit at home and watch films on the TV for free, youth would rather hang out with their mates, anyone who wants to see a current film will go to a multiplex, so that leaves the arty mob - who wont go everynight. As much as I'd like it work I just cant see it.

seeformiles

01-02-2008 10:52 AM

The pool project is in trouble? What a surprise. *grinds teeth*

I've given up on us ever having our pool back in Forest Hill. Sorry to be a gloom-monger but the signs are not good with the council's continuing evasive tactics. However, I'd like to be proved wrong.

gingernuts

01-02-2008 11:00 AM

Why should we give up! This is outrageous. We were promised our pools back, we pay our taxes like everyone else. Obesity is a national issue and we should not just sit back and allow the council to spend this money on projects that are less important.

Perhaps the Forest Hill Society can help campaign?

Becca

01-02-2008 11:10 AM

BarCar wrote:

Becca wrote:

Isn't the guy who owns the Rivoli Ballroom looking to sell? See http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=253.

Seems like a win-win to me. The venue is preserved (restored to it's original function as the Crofton Park Picture Palace), Lewisham get a PR win for preserving a listed building, the owner gets the cash he needs, Picturehouse get a new venue in a prime catchment area on the borders of Forest Hill, Honor Oak and Brockley and we get a local arthouse cinema.

Hi, that sounds interesting... thanks! I will look into it. The only problem could be its listed status, as cinemas need at least two screens these days, but they managed with the Ritzy...

Johnc

01-02-2008 11:13 AM

gingernuts wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a party pooper, what makes anyone think a Cinema would be popular? I just cant see it working in Forest Hill. Especially when old people can sit at home and watch films on the TV for free, youth would rather hang out with their mates, anyone who wants to see a current film will go to a multiplex, so that leaves the arty mob - who wont go everynight. As much as I'd like it work I just cant see it.

I'm not so sure. Until reasonably recently I worked in Islington, and just up the road from a 9 screen Vue multiplex is the Screen on the Green. Admitedly it went for a more "serious" type of film, but seemed to be surviving quite well. There are several Screen cinemas dotted around so there may be scope for a Screen on the Hill/Oak

gingernuts

01-02-2008 11:16 AM

Yeh-but, Islington is a much larger place, close to Kings Cross, it even has it's own tube station (an underground tube station!) Forest Hill/H Oak is not in that league.

If energy is to be spent campaigning, there's more value in getting our pools reopened. At least the building is already there!

BarCar

01-02-2008 11:31 AM

gingernuts wrote:
If energy is to be spent campaigning, there's more value in getting our pools reopened.

I'm sure we all have different priorities. I don't see a cinema and pool as being mutually exclusive.

I certainly think there would be enough demand for a PictureHouse-type cinema somewhere in the Brockley/Honor Oak/Forest Hill/Sydenham area.

"If you build it, they will come".

Becca

01-02-2008 11:56 AM

BarCar wrote:

gingernuts wrote:
If energy is to be spent campaigning, there's more value in getting our pools reopened.

I'm sure we all have different priorities. I don't see a cinema and pool as being mutually exclusive.

I certainly think there would be enough demand for a PictureHouse-type cinema somewhere in the Brockley/Honor Oak/Forest Hill/Sydenham area.

"If you build it, they will come".

Absolutely! We need a pool and a cinema! Haven't the council promised us a refurbished pool? Surely they can't go back on it...? And regarding transport links, we are getting the East London line extension in 2010. Just enough time to build a cinema, I'd say. Failing the Rivoli, does anyone have any other ideas for a plot? The requirement is 15,000-20,000 square feet.

gingernuts

01-02-2008 12:06 PM

Becca wrote:
Surely they can't go back on it...?

Dont you bet on it! The council will line their own pockets before putting money into a community pool. The pressure needs to be kept up.

On the issue of the Rivoli, that was only saved by the skin of it's teeth.

If a cinema is important and you believe there to be a need, why not try starting a 'film club'. Perhaps upstairs in the Hob? Does Forest Hill Library have a large room that can be rented? If this proves a succuss, you have some real ammunition to get a bigger financial backer interested. That's how business works!

Becca

01-02-2008 12:24 PM

gingernuts wrote:

Becca wrote:
Surely they can't go back on it...?

Dont you bet on it! The council will line their own pockets before putting money into a community pool. The pressure needs to be kept up.

On the issue of the Rivoli, that was only saved by the skin of it's teeth.

If a cinema is important and you believe there to be a need, why not try starting a 'film club'. Perhaps upstairs in the Hob? Does Forest Hill Library have a large room that can be rented? If this proves a succuss, you have some real ammunition to get a bigger financial backer interested. That's how business works!

Sure, that is a good idea too, but the Picturehouse group have already expressed an interest in a dedicated cinema, so it's still worth looking for a plot. I'm more than happy to help out with any campaigning re. swimming pool too - swimming and films are what keep me happy!

shzl400

01-02-2008 01:42 PM

gingernuts wrote:
If a cinema is important and you believe there to be a need, why not try starting a 'film club'.

I thought there already was one at the Library - I'm sure it was mentioned on the Library thread.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields