SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next > Last »
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
Jon Lloyd

25-01-2011 02:45 PM

In fact, again, in the interests of democracy, Admin, can we have a vote on who would like to never see another word about the BI seller? It would be very interesting, and maybe the results could swing a decision to stick it in a vault somewhere, preferably with a Romanian Mafia boss for company.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
admin
Administrator

25-01-2011 03:40 PM

Agreed, I'm not sure topic deletion is a good idea.

It can be difficult to get the options right in a poll, but I could create one with the following options unless anyone has any better ideas:

1) Keep the topic (and related ones) in SE23 Topics
2) Move the topic (and related ones) to Wider Topics

Suggested length of poll: 7 days

michael

25-01-2011 03:58 PM

Shouldn't it be under 'Trading Post' since we are referring to a somebody selling a magazine.

brian

25-01-2011 04:03 PM

Surely should be under illegality.

Jon
Not sure why you raise the point about your case being too heavy , but very interesting diversion.
Perhaps details should be sent to The Home Office.

robin orton

25-01-2011 04:07 PM

I don't know why people are getting so steamed up about this. Why shouldn't everyone be free to express their views (provided they're not breaching either the law or accepted standards of taste, courtesy and decency) on a local (i.e.SE23) matter about which some readers clearly have strong feelings? Moving it to 'wider issues' would be merely ducking the issue - if it's appropriate anywhere, it's to this forum.

So no censorship, please - and I personally think that even having a poll on the matter would give a wrong signal.

jon14

25-01-2011 04:07 PM

What's the problem? If people want to discuss it, why can't it be discussed? Just because some take exception to it. Not everyone will like every thread. So what? Not everybody liked the Bird in Hand discussion. You don't have to look at it. I don't read half the threads on here because the title doesn't seem relevant to me. I read what sounds interesting to me.

I suggest a poll is not the way to go but that it should be left in SE23 section, as the BI seller is very operating in SE23.

michael

25-01-2011 04:08 PM

Can we also vote on moving other threads out of trading place?
For example: http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3805

Realistically I don't think we should get to vote where threads appear simply because we find the content not to our taste. On the other hand, I'm not sure if Admin should allow potentially libelous accusations of criminal activity to remain on the forum.

Jon Lloyd

25-01-2011 04:28 PM

I think it should be in Wider topics, because as far as I see it, this is mainly about race (sorry Brian), and people's views on immigration, plus a speculative element regarding the dominance of the Romanian Mafia. The legality of her position is a matter for the law, so tell a policeman to check her out if you're that bothered. I am not bothered, because believe it or not, when she asks me for money I don't give it to her. Although of course she is quite terrifying, sitting on the pavement in that threatening manner.

Brian says this woman's 'relatives' are everywhere (I am holding my belly in) so it's not strictly SE23 is it? These are views on the world, parochially defined.

I could ignore this thread, but when you're eating a nice soup, you tend not to leave the flies in. I don't harm them, I just scoop them out, put them to one side, let them cool down, and they soon fly away.

jon14

25-01-2011 04:51 PM

I agree with Michael. Leave it but let the moderator do his/her job in deleting potentially libelous.

jon14

25-01-2011 04:52 PM

...accusations.

rshdunlop

25-01-2011 05:06 PM

Shall we have a vote on whether or not to have a vote or shall we let common sense prevail? Don't like a thread? Don't read it.

brian

25-01-2011 05:23 PM

Jon
I have explained why it is not racist. I would have no problem with a native ,of any race or religion selling the BI , if they are indeed homeless and fallen on hard times.
Perhaps you can explain why this is racist.
It seems to be the standard slur of the left.

Jon Lloyd

25-01-2011 05:54 PM

But because they're 'not native' they should 'go back to Bucharest' – "Why does she not beg in Bucharest and leave the BI to native persons who have fallen on hard times". Give me a break. 'Foreigners go home', this reads as. There's a reason you are replied to with the 'standard slur' Brian, or it wouldn't be happening.

I'm sick of this now so I'm taking RHS Dunlop's advice and forgetting it exists. Good riddance to an acidic, nasty, hate-filled, divisive, spurious, mis-informed, speculative little thread that has no place on a community site. I took part because I'd hoped to clear things up. That's never going to happen.
I won't be replying, so say what you like.

squashst

25-01-2011 06:08 PM

Surely the way forward is to create a new sub forum called "Mr Angry". Put this and certain other topics (e.g. anything re Jim Dowd) into "Mr Angry" forum. Alternatively put a "Mr Angry" smiley (realise that is a contradiction) against certain forums.

piglet

25-01-2011 06:58 PM

No because Mr Dowd is very relevant to SE23 and if constituents have concerns they should be aired via this forum because the member of parliament in question is well known for ignoring communications received direct. Public exposure is always the best way forward.

I like the sound of Jon Lloyd and do admire his views which are on a par with my own.

drabarni

26-01-2011 01:18 AM

"Overall Romanians have some of the cleverest crooks in the world because a lot of them dont know any other way of living. Thery are just gypsies,"

Hawkesrah, be ashamed. I am a Gypsy and I live in SE23 and I find your comments offensive and abusive. I have raised this with admin as I believe that your comments should be removed.

It is so easy to be a bigot in the anonymity of a chat room. Although Gypsies may have travelled through Romania, Romanians are not just gypsies, in fact Gypsies originate from India, not Romania. But there you have it, ignorance, stupidity and racism so often form close bed fellows and "Hawkesrah," manages to incorporate all three in one comment. Disgraceful.

This is not America and there is not total freedom of speech in which to spout your bigoted racist views, there are laws to protect the minorities and these laws can reach beyond pseudonyms.

Hawkesrah, you might like to know that 250,000 Gypsies died in the holocaust, which we refer to as the Devouring. The majority of the horrific nazi experimentation was on Gypsy children, not Jews, but maybe that does not matter, because they were just Gypsies too.

Hawkesrah, please don't try and kid yourself that you are not a racist bigot, replace the word Gypsy with black or asian and you see what you are. For we are a people, a race, from four tribes and none of them originate from Romania.

ForestHillier

26-01-2011 10:10 AM

Very true

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Where-Do-...2231.shtml

Well when ever I have passed by this lady, she offers me the mag, if I say no, then she wallks away, so not sure why so many seem to have a problem with her

mrcee

26-01-2011 11:02 AM

Out of interest, I am wondering what people expect to happen from posting on this thread so from reading through it i think we should take a poll on which of the below options are the most likely outcomes

1. The BI seller gets exposed as an undercover police officer working on a sting operation against bad music being placed at sainsburys
  2. The BI mafia boss starts assassinating SE23 forum users due to this thread hitting profits
  3. She turns out to be married to one of the two most vocal people on this thread and having an affair with the other

its open for any other realistic suggestions/options otherwise i guess this could be one of the first never ending threads.

Anotherjohn

26-01-2011 06:49 PM

IS THIS SOMETHING OUT OF MONTY PYTHON'S OR WHAT!

baggydave

27-01-2011 12:00 AM

Our kids' football team need someone to 'run the line' ie act as a referee's assistant for Sunday matches. Does the Big Issue lady know the off side rule, if so can someone ask her for us?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's netty 212 227,297 27-05-2009 05:33 PM
Last Post: gingernuts