SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Road closures in Forest Hill
Merlin

05-12-2010 10:56 PM

When I mentioned cat litter it was not with the suggestion that the council take it up as an option - I was referring to domestic use. Many householders clear their own paths and steps, if my experience this week of going around various Wickes, B&Q's etc looking for a solution it would've been a lot easier to find cat litter (as suggested on an NHS website!)
I bow to your clearly superior knowledge in relation to variations of salt and their effect on various modes of transport, drains etc. I was trying to be helpful but will refrain from such behaviour in future.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Herbparis

06-12-2010 12:34 AM

Who is responible for griting Eliot Bank, Lewisham Council or
Lewisham Homes?, because you can only drive halfway up Eliot Bank the rest is still like skating rink and we had many elderly people living at the top, If you enter from the top end which is a private road and full of pothole some over a foot deep. Which is unsuitable for anyone with spinal injuries.

When I worked for the council the gritting was done by the council's street cleansing teams now only the path is done by the caretakers and the road left untouched.Angry

Londondrz

06-12-2010 12:46 PM

To the lady in the light blue Ford dropping her children off outside the Horniman School I salute you.

Despite the school sending all the parents a text this morning saying take care and please do NOT park outside the school (where there are no parking signs and yellow zig zag's just incase you missed the signs) you parked on the yellow zig zags, left your car running and took your kids into the school. You then ran back slip sliding away and proceeded to get back into your car in big hurry when you realised the error of your ways and that people were now turning up and could see your foolish actions.

These foolish actions then continued when you realised you had got into the BACk of the car.

Oh My Word!!!

Think people, think.

andrewr

06-12-2010 01:43 PM

As the previous post illustrates, some of the roads on the Tewkesbury Lodge Estate are still dangerous. The gritting (salting?) response has, at best, been haphazard. I have written to Cllr Philip Peake - a copy of my letter is attached.

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  Philip Peake re Gritting.pdf (Size: 104.17 KB / Downloads: 669)
Woody
No Longer Registered

06-12-2010 01:45 PM

Walking around yesterday it was depressing to see how many people had cleared the entrance to their drive ins of snow but not the pavements outside their house.

Just as a few locals continued (or at least tried) to drive up and down (in practice slide uncontrollably down) our steepest roads no matter how bad the conditions, it seems that some drivers think that they have a God given right to drive whatever and whenever.

Not a good start for the Big Society.

dbboy

06-12-2010 03:52 PM

I had to walk down Netherby Road on Saturday afternoon. The pavements were unusable due to the frozen ice and snow on them. Walking down the hill that Nethrby road is needed to be done with extreme caution because of the slippery icey surface. On my return fron Lewisham market repeating the journry up hill which Netherby Road is still needed to be done carefully to prevent a trip or fall on the ice and snow. I have never ever know Netherby to have been so bad.

roz

06-12-2010 09:11 PM

I don't think people can be blamed for using their cars when the pavements remain so slippery and dangerous, even more so now than last week when several inches of snow. So I can completely understand that woman in the blue Ford. Some people are pretty fearful of slippery pavements myself included especially when having to push a buggy around. As this is a major school route Westwood Park and Horniman Drive should surely be prime candidates for gritting with particular attention to the pavements.

roz

06-12-2010 09:24 PM

PS Well written letter from Andrew. I think road closures are acceptable in emergency situations but not as 'snow policy' as seems to be the position taken by by LB Lewisham. I also live on a closed road (now open) but honestly speaking I felt it was the best option at that time due to drivers speeding down it despite the road conditions.

Its a difficult one to balance extreme weather conditions which are no ones fault with corporate responsibility but I do think the balance should favour keeping the most challenging roads open at least for pedestrians if not drivers. Seemingly people can't take their cars out but they can't effectively gp by foot either as its extremely dangerous so its not clear how people are supposed to access basic provisions.

I do think the rest of us need to start lobbying our Councillors for a better winter service in this area despite the cuts as we could be in for quite a few incidences of this in the coming few months.

Londondrz

06-12-2010 10:41 PM

Roz, I drove my kids to school this morning but was easily able to park on the street away from the no parking area and walk all of 20 yards to the school entrance.

The reason the no parking zone is there is so that idiots cant try to park there in any conditions, it endangers anyone entering the school.

To park there, leave your car running and go into the school to deliver your kids is just plain stupid and bloody lazy.

Maybe I should hop in it next time and park it for her..........in a hedge.

Poppy9560

06-12-2010 10:49 PM

I walked back to Brockley View from Catford Bridge station about 1845 tonight and the pavements were still icy and slippery - very poor of the council not to have made any pavements safe Sad

roz

06-12-2010 11:19 PM

I wasn't condoning someone parking on the yellow zigzags but rather understanding why someone might actually do what they could in order to get their child to school on time avoiding slippery pavements. I got stuck up there last year with a buggy and child finding that I could not get up the hill without an accident and getting back down again or across the road was impossible. If most of the kids had already gone in and it was morning rather than afternoon then the risks of parking on the zig zags doing so were probably minimal in practice.

Londondrz

07-12-2010 08:16 AM

Roz, I found the pavements slippery as well but my fear of my and my childrens falling on them pales into insignificance when compared against the slight (even very slight) chance of my crashing into the front of the school and injuring parents and children.

I really dont fancy a spell in jail and that's where I would be heading.

The yellow zig zags are there for a reason, there are NO excuses for parking or stopping on them when the are in enforcement times.

Next you will be telling us it's OK to park on zebra/pelican crossings??

I await your response with interest.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

07-12-2010 08:34 AM

I did like the road closed signs for Taymount Rise:

"ROAD CLOSED
Except for access"

What the hell else would you be going up there for??

Londondrz

07-12-2010 08:35 AM

To go down the other side. It was my route into the City in my motorcycling days as it avoids all the main roads.

Woody
No Longer Registered

07-12-2010 08:38 AM

You may think that driving in bad conditions is safer than walking but what a about the danger caused to pedestrians by cars sliding out of control?

If you have ever tried to push a car you will know that they are pretty heavy and once a car starts to slide downhill in icy conditions it is impossible to control.

If a pedestrian was caught between a sliding car and a solid object such as a wall or another car it is likely that he or she will suffer severe injuries. A child could easily be killed.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

07-12-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:
To go down the other side. It was my route into the City in my motorcycling days as it avoids all the main roads.

Taymount Rise has another side??

Londondrz

07-12-2010 09:05 AM

I really should read posts!! Not Taymount Road of courseLaugh

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

07-12-2010 09:09 AM

Shame, I was looking forward to discovering a secret new road.

I actually like the idea of you riding up Taymount Rise, round the loop at the top and back down again without realising what you'd done, chortling to yourself at your clever, quiet 'short-cut'. Smile

michael

07-12-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:
I did like the road closed signs for Taymount Rise:

"ROAD CLOSED
Except for access"

What the hell else would you be going up there for??

Actually most cars on Taymount Rise are just turning round half way up the hill. Few make it to the top even in good road conditions.

I liked it when the thaw set in and the signs were turned the other way round. So when I drove down Taymount I was told that I could only exit Taymount Rise for 'access', presumably to the rest of the world.

Triangle

07-12-2010 11:42 AM

Roz, you are obviously a modest person - Why? - Because I recall that back in October you started a thread called "getting ready for winter in SE23", in which you discussed the problems of snow and ice and how SE23 might prepare itself. Notably, you didn't get much of a response at the time and now you have resisted the temptation to remind everyone! So congratulations, you were right to be concerned and raise the issue.

As for road closures, I too can confirm that roads were never closed in FH and essential services such as coal, (remember that?) milk, bread, groceries etc, all continued to get through.

And before anyone says "but it was never this bad", let me tell you that snow in FH used to be a regular occurance and was atrocious in 1963 when it continued for weeks on end.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Traffic made worse at junction of Forest Hill Road, Canonbie Road and Wood Vale? Triangle 7 11,066 14-01-2014 10:28 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Road Closures Holly 7 8,265 31-03-2010 06:26 PM
Last Post: roz