SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets
Cellar Door

21-01-2008 09:21 PM

I found this tourist brochure about Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park.

Forest Hill and Honor Oak Secrets

I like the section "A day in Forest Hill and Honor Oak".

I was reminded of the Horniman Nature Trail on the old railway line. I'd forgotten about that part of the hill.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SophieBee

21-01-2008 10:46 PM

Interesting. Although to be pedantic, they missed out some key bus routes in HOP (172 and 122) and assigned the 171 to Forest Hill rather than to HOP.

Is the information about the Devonshire Road and Garthorne Road nature reserves correct? I had read that Devonshire was only open once a month and that there was no access to Garthorne at all, but would love to be wrong on that as I've still not managed to get there.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Woody
No Longer Registered

23-01-2008 01:51 PM

The Devonshire Road Nature Reserve is open on the last Sunday of every month during the afternoon so it will be open this Sunday.

It is a fantastic place and if you haven't been you won't regret a visit.

They also do additional events such as a kids club on other days. The next kids club event is on Sunday 3rd February at 11am when they will be having birds of prey from the Eagle Heights Bird of Prey Centre. For more information the contact email is:

devonshireroadnature@yahoo.co.uk

The Garthorne Road Nature Reserve isn't open on a regular basis - there simply aren't enough volunteers to go round. It can't be left open but unmanned under the terms of the lease from Network Rail.

I think that the Friends of the DRNR are trying to organise a visit to the Garthorne Road site so again get in contact with them.

SophieBee

23-01-2008 04:13 PM

Woody wrote:
The Devonshire Road Nature Reserve is open on the last Sunday of every month during the afternoon so it will be open this Sunday.

It is a fantastic place and if you haven't been you won't regret a visit.

They also do additional events such as a kids club on other days. The next kids club event is on Sunday 3rd February at 11am when they will be having birds of prey from the Eagle Heights Bird of Prey Centre. For more information the contact email is:

devonshireroadnature@yahoo.co.uk

The Garthorne Road Nature Reserve isn't open on a regular basis - there simply aren't enough volunteers to go round. It can't be left open but unmanned under the terms of the lease from Network Rail.

I think that the Friends of the DRNR are trying to organise a visit to the Garthorne Road site so again get in contact with them.

Thanks for all this Woody, you've confirmed what I thought (and I just might try to squeeze a visit in this weekend). What a shame the information on that flyer is wrong. It will do no good at all if people turn up hoping to visit the nature reserve on a day when it isn't open.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billham

23-01-2008 04:34 PM

One of the secrets apparently is that Honor Oak lies north-west of Forest Hill ............ Smile

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park loca 1,398 1,211,583 24-11-2013 10:45 PM
Last Post: rbmartin
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,371 16-03-2013 09:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 8,728 15-10-2012 08:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 28,824 14-11-2011 02:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,291 20-05-2010 02:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester