SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Where are the gritters?
Mattfh

02-12-2010 06:47 PM

Taymount Rise is evidently very low on the priority list regardless of how steep it is as it's not a through road. Most of the cars up here have very sensibly not moved since Tuesday. Certainly been very slippery walking up and down.

I do recall in the snow fall early this year Taymount Rise was gritted twice after 2-3 days in similar conditions, once half way up to the old church and then all the way to the top the second time. No sign of that so far.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Perryman

03-12-2010 01:31 PM

Unlike earlier this year when all pavements were left unsafe and icy for a good week, I have to comment that this time a great deal of effort has been made, and for the main routes, the pavements are not dangerous.

Salt has been applied and is getting trampled widely and while not enough to melt the snow, the grit seems to help break up any ice leaving a powdery pink snow which is not slippery.

It may well be that it is the right kind of of snow, but I think the council have deployed their resources sensibly and to the benefit of the majority this time round, and for that they deserve some credit.

andrewr

03-12-2010 06:53 PM

I've seen treated pavements on London Road (TfL's responsibility, not Lewisham's), but precious few elsewhere. Which other roads have been treated?

Contrary Mary

03-12-2010 07:03 PM

Taymount Rise was gritted this morning SmileSmile

shzl400

03-12-2010 07:34 PM

I'd rather have grit than a Road Closed sign, which seems rather an abdication of the Council's responsibility.

caretaker

03-12-2010 08:22 PM

Thank you Lewisham Council for Gritting Taymount rise.

andrewr

03-12-2010 08:30 PM

Sorry
My last post should have said "Which other roads have had their PAVEMENTS treated?"

Perryman

03-12-2010 09:11 PM

Well Perry Vale has been gritted and cleared one side,
WHSmiths area and the bottom of Davids Rd area gritted,
Dartmouth Rd pavement snow is pink and powdery,
Honor Oak Rd and devonshire Rd pavements are not icy...

Compare that to earlier this year when all these pavements were covered in a sheet of ice for a week.

Maybe it is because they have more rock salt this time; maybe because the snow has not been sleety (yet); and maybe because they have abandoned the various alpine passes to concentrate on the busy routes.

I'm the first to moan when the council get it wrong, but just maybe, so far, they deserve some credit this time. Sorry.

robin orton

04-12-2010 01:15 AM

Have just walked up Thorpewood Avenue (after travelling home from an evening at the theatre on an uncomfortably overcrowded 176). Surprised that carriageway has not been gritted, particularly as roads with schools on them are supposed to have priority - Holy Trinity, Eliot Bank in this case. (Have emailed council asking them to do Radlet Avenue, but I know that's a lost cause.)

roz

04-12-2010 02:01 PM

Do we still need gritting now that the thaw has started, assuming of course that we don't get another big freeze? I understand its about 5 degrees today.

I'm pleased to report that having brushed off all that melting snow our car has never looked so clean!

Contrary Mary

04-12-2010 03:14 PM

BBC website's weather forecast for SE23 for Sunday is currently showing temperature of -6 overnight... which would mean lovely slippery frozen slush on Monday morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4...=fo:B#fo:B

So yes: the grit is needed to prevent the slush from turning side roads back into ice-rinks

Herbparis

04-12-2010 08:44 PM

Everyone who has had their road gritted think your self lucky. Eliot Bank only has the footpaths gritted who is responsible for gritting the road Lewisham Council or the Lewisham Homes? Angry

dbboy

18-12-2010 05:21 PM

Canonbie was gritted last night, first thing this morning and then about 1pm Saturday afternoon, but now the road has been closed although it is passable, why?

roz

18-12-2010 06:13 PM

One went up Manor Mount this afternoon...

Herbparis

18-12-2010 07:34 PM

Only two weeks late so much for been efficient. Eliot Bank once again not gritted as I mentioned before the road is steep and we had many elderly people living at the top of the hill surely hilly roads such as Canonbie, Eliot Bank, Horniman Drive & Taymont Rise should have
priority, Mayor Steve Bullock needs to be held responible and should be sacked on the spot for incompetent along with some of his highway directors. If any of the frontline staff was to make this mistake their would be disciplined and probably sacked on the spot. CursingCursingCursing

Poppy9560

18-12-2010 08:01 PM

Brockley View was gritted at 12.15.........don't know if they have repeated it since then

alexfeakes

18-12-2010 08:28 PM

Latest news from highways team:

"We continue to grit the Primary Routes and our aim is to keep as many roads as clear as possible.

However due to health and safety reasons we are in the process of closing the following roads (we will open them as soon as possible):
Canonbie Road
Dunoon Hill
Tyson Road
Ewelme Road
Westwood Park
Liphook Crescent
Tewkesbury Avenue
Horniman Drive
Netherby Road
Brockley View
Benson Road"

brian

18-12-2010 08:43 PM

Mon Dieu
That is most of the posh area of Forest Hill shut down.

alexfeakes

18-12-2010 08:47 PM

And as if they knew I'd just posted... just this minute I've been sent another update:

"Primary Routes – Will continue to grit through the night

Secondary Routes – Nothing planned at present but this may change depending on the 11pm and 3am forecasts

Resilience Routes – Nothing planned at present but this may change depending on the 11pm and 3am forecasts

NB: The roads below remain closed:
Canonbie Road
Dunoon Hill
Tyson Road
Ewelme Road
Westwood Park
Liphook Crescent
Tewkesbury Avenue
Horniman Drive
Netherby Road
Brockley View
Benson Road"

dbboy

18-12-2010 10:37 PM

Hi Alex,

Thanks for responding, what are the health and safety reasons for closing the road? Because Canonbie is clearly passable unlike two weeks ago when the gritters failed to come, so can't see why a decision has been taken to close this road.

According to Lewisham councils 7th Edition November 2010 Winter Policy & Plan, Canonbie is a priority route.

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/...PlanV7.pdf

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  So where were the gritters ? Hillman 2 3,597 30-12-2016 01:48 PM
Last Post: Erekose