SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Savacentre
Sherwood

22-01-2008 07:05 PM

Does anyone know why there are signs at the Savacentre saying "Business as usual"?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

22-01-2008 07:31 PM

Both the front of the store (where Blockbuster, Vodaphone, Thomas Cook etc. were) and the back of the store (homewhere, booze & bakery) are all hoarded off. What they are doing, I have no idea! When they did the Dog Kennel Hill & Forest Hill stores, there was lots of bumph about how the store would look afterwards, but I've not heard a peep in this case.

Actually, I'm rather sad to lose the little "concession" shops. The post office (most useful) was the first to go and - not that we go that often - the loss of both Blockbusters in the area within such a short space of time is quite a blow. I've booked at least two holidays at that Thomas Cook and have been into the Vodaphone store several times, as they are my provider anyway (and the kids liked playing with the display phones!)

Snazy

22-01-2008 07:39 PM

The inside scoop for you all....

10 new checkouts, a new cafe thing, enlarged sales area, and self service checkouts to name but a few changes Smile

PS, Savacentre no longer exists, its all Sainsburys now, but I know what you mean, I still call it that too.

stevegrindlay

22-01-2008 07:41 PM

Sherwood wrote:
Does anyone know why there are signs at the Savacentre saying "Business as usual"?

Because they are doing quite a lot of building work on the site; apparently extending the floorspace. The small shops by the tills have all closed, and are boarded-up. It seems that they are to be incorporated into the main shop. So, having seen off several small traders from Lower Sydenham, those offered space in the shop have also now been dispached.

While I was in there this afternoon an announcement over the PA said: "This is an emergency. Please evacuate the building immediately". Of course, we all carried on with our shopping. Then, a minute or two later, another announcement told us to ignore the previous announcement and any others "until further notice".

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/
jgdoherty

23-01-2008 08:19 PM

Could it be that JS Sainsbury are only removing all the loose stuff in the building before implementing the instant relocation plan referred to here:

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=240

I think we should be told the truth, can JS Sainsbury really land one of their stores with the same precision as BA did with their 777?

Then again can we really handle the truth ?

roz

24-01-2008 10:15 PM

Probably explains why their home delivery service justs gets worse and worse- they can hardly operate this efficiently from Bell Green if the store is going through an overhaul.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields