SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Bell Green gasholders Savacentre development
Sherwood

04-12-2007 08:51 PM

I understand that there are proposals to develop next to the Bell Green gasholders.

See this link for the Health & Safety Executive's view on the dangers of building next to the gasholders at the Oval Cricket Ground:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/record/times201107.htm

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
millesens

04-12-2007 09:10 PM

I think the Bell Green Development is going ahead or at least parts of it. See the Sydenham Forum here http://www.sydenham.org.uk/bell_green_planning_02.html

jgdoherty

05-12-2007 11:12 PM

So HSE might advise that the adjacent gasholders are a risk.

Planning authorities must deliberate on the suitability of applications near major hazard sites, including gasholders and particularly if it seems that proposed buildings will reduce the rapidity of dispersal of major gas volumes when leaks occur.

It might be the case that any explosion might result in instant relocation of Savacentre, possibly as far as the other end of Southend Lane.

This would instantly resolve the traffic problems caused by the major cock up that LB Lewisham has historically made of the traffic planning that failed to be addressed in the first round of planning consent.

Ian

05-12-2007 11:35 PM

jgdoherty wrote:
It might be the case that any explosion might result in instant relocation of Savacentre, possibly as far as the other end of Southend Lane.

Too be honest an explosion wouldn't be a bad idea.
It would take out out half of Bell Green and wipe out the lower
end of Perry Vale, not a bad thing.

Seriously thou'
Not sure about this report, after all, isn't there a phone mast fixed to the gasholders ?? I'm sure there is.
If so, radio waves/rf/electro energy etc would have ignited it by now.

One loud voice can make a difference !
Perryman

06-12-2007 11:59 AM

I think the gasholder/gasometer is a listed building now.
There are not so many left in the country, as they are high maintenance and a relic from the days when gas was produced and stored locally.
Its only function now is to even out the pressure as demand changes during the day, as I understand it, perhaps giving the underground high pressure gas pipes a longer lifespan.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/264609.stm

Can these things explode? History tells us yes, and as the country's expertise on these things diminishes, I imagine that any maintenance gets more dangerous.

Sure, almost certainly it is more dangerous regularly crossing the road (esp at the Davidwhiting crossing maze at Kangley Bridge Road) than living near to one of these things but it is an unnecessary risk all the same.

It should be (carefully) decommissioned imo, and the interior turned into a museum with lots of history of the site and working demonstration of the old process of making coal gas, and sure miniature demonstrations of the explosive nature of gas.

Then we can build the shopping scheme of our dreams unhindered...

jgdoherty

06-12-2007 02:55 PM

I don't believe these particular gasholders have been listed. None of the plans throughout this planning consent phase has ever proposed their removal.

I think that British Gas/Transco or whoever their successors are, still owns them.

There are Grade II listings associated with the War Memorial and the Livesey Hall adjacent to the site.

Sherwood

06-12-2007 05:22 PM

This is from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE):

"There are, on average, three or four large gas escapes every year from gasholders, which could lead to a major incident if the gas found an ignition source. The main reason such an incident has not occurred for 70 years (though there have been fires) is because the gas has dispersed safely into the large, clear areas surrounding the holders. Development close to such sites (particularly of an intensive, multi-storey, nature) potentially increases both the number of ignition sources and of those people who could subsequently be affected by any incident. Recent incidents at other major hazard sites have shown that, although such events are rare, they should not be ignored when considering what developments to allow."

PVP

24-01-2008 09:56 AM

The gas holder issue was raised with respect to the development of the Oval ground - the new buildings will remove the space needed to prevent an explosion.

Yuppee flats all round, hurrah!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  M&S Food Hall plan to open at Bell Green rbmartin 3 876 09-02-2024 10:34 AM
Last Post: jgdoherty
  Bizarre Road Rage Incident - Bell Green 29/1/24 samuelsen 0 535 29-01-2024 09:58 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  The Bell Green Works development proposed by Barratt London consists of: Six blocks o samuelsen 2 967 15-01-2024 10:24 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Aldi to take over the former Toys R Us store at Bell Green samuelsen 8 9,678 06-03-2019 07:53 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Bell Green Retail & Employment Park Consultation shaman 11 10,460 05-12-2016 12:15 AM
Last Post: shaman
  Accident bell green cljdc02 0 3,353 03-10-2016 07:41 AM
Last Post: cljdc02
  Bell Green Sainsbury's Elizabeth25 8 12,145 10-04-2008 10:58 AM
Last Post: Elizabeth25