SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
BarCar

22-04-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:
I would be keen to see the FH Soc focus on this lack of evening ELL services when next lobbying DfT, TfL, MPs, etc. I will be writing to London Travel Watch, and my MP again once I know who it is.

I have to agree with se23northener and others - the late evening southbound ELL service frequency ends too early and the frequency drops too much. I forsee many continuing to London Bridge when coming home...

Hopefully this can be improved in time.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rbmartin

22-04-2010 01:04 PM

I hope Southern provide at least 8 carriage services on these late night services where LOROL have decided to reduce the service after 10pm and finish at least 30 mins earlier than Southern.

jamesinbolton

22-04-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:
I do not want to sound Mr Upset, but a soft opening date was announced which was then postponed due to the election.

The service is up and running, just without the passengers.

No official announcement was actually made about the preview service on the ELL presumably precisely for this reason.

The service is not suspended due to the election!

There are still issues with using the new trains in passenger service - largely the exterior CCTV cameras through which the driver checks that there is nothing trapped in/obstructing the train doors when preparing to depart.

The issue appears to be software-based and until a working release of the new software is installed and tested - trains cannot accept passengers.

Sherwood

23-04-2010 07:05 AM

They could use the old-fashioned method of employing someone with a green and a red flag!

andrewr

27-04-2010 07:03 PM

Trains started carrying passengers on the East London Line today between New Cross Gate and Dalston. The service is a Monday - Friday 'preview' service with 8 trains an hour 7am-8pm. The TfL press release attached confirms May 23 for the launch of the full service.

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  LO Press Release.pdf (Size: 32.41 KB / Downloads: 261)
andrewr

27-04-2010 07:55 PM

The ELL press release says that 8 trains an hour are running from New Cross Gate, The Evening Standard says that the trains are running from New Cross. A quick survey of blog reports of people who have actually been on the trains suggests that in fact 4 trains an hour are running from each of New Cross and New Cross Gate. This would make sense as it is closer to the future full service pattern. Running trains from New Cross Gate would seem to be essential if commuters are to make use of the service changing from Southern services.

It will be interesting to see how many people start changing at New Cross Gate in the next few days - and how full the ELL trains get in the peak periods. Post your observations here.

borderpaul

27-04-2010 11:37 PM

Nice of Boris to take all the credit for his hard work on securing funding for the line and pushing the project through. Oh, I forgot he was in Henley at the time. How stupid does he think we are?

Well done to TFL and Red Ken.

PackOfDusters

28-04-2010 08:14 AM

I can't comment yet on how full the trains were - I caught one home yesterday when I assume few people knew it was running, and it was pretty empty. I'll admit to being slightly excited about the whole thing... the ELL shut down at pretty much the same time I moved to FH, so it is really great to see it up and running.

I've got an observation about the fares though.. I travelled from Whitechapel to Forest Hill and was charged £1.80 on my oyster card. A zone 2-3 single is £1.30. A check on the TFL single fare finder confirms that £1.80 is the correct price for that journey. I'm wondering if this is because part of my journey was on National Rail, and will switch to the lower price when the overground officially extends all the way south, or whether this is the permanent price. If the latter, that's a bit rubbish Glare . I will endeavour to find out..

PVP

28-04-2010 10:31 AM

The trains were pretty empty this morning, still spare seats. I imagine this will change once the through trains commence on the 23rd May.

It was a joy avoiding London Bridge and the inevitable bus delays!

andrewr

28-04-2010 01:21 PM

Sadly it is true that fares for Overground journeys that also use National Rail track may be higher than journeys just on the Tube / Overground.
You can check fares at Tube, DLR, Overground fares and National Rail fares. I don't believe TfL are happy with this situation but National Rail are presumably trying to protect their revenue.

PackOfDusters

28-04-2010 01:29 PM

Thanks andrewr, that does say that £1.80 / £1.50 are the fares for zone 2-3 travel on a 'through' national ratil / overground journey.

I suppose the big question is whether post 23 May Forest Hill will be a national rail station or both a national rail and overground station?

Also, although it does specify that you pay oyster underground fares on routes that accepted oyster before 2010, it's not entirely clear what happens on routes that didn't exist before 2010.

Hmmm.

rbmartin

28-04-2010 01:46 PM

A previous FHSoc post on this forum mentions that stations south of NXG would be classed as TfL fares, i.e. Tube/DLR/Overground, although there is confusion over journeys to London Terminals or other National Rail stations would be classed as NR fares or the combined TfL/NR rate.

At the moment, it seems the new ELL is considered a National Rail fare for Oyster users.

rymerster

28-04-2010 02:11 PM

My partner is visually impaired and has a freedom pass, but uses Oyster for the journey to LB in the morning. After 23rd May the journey to London should be covered by the freedom pass if using the East London line. Just wondering how the barriers at FH will know whether someone is intending to use national rail or TFL before 9.30am?

FHSoc

28-04-2010 02:43 PM

As I reported in the other thread, TfL have said[quote}I can confirm the following on fares:

The fares between West Croydon and New Cross will be the TfL Oyster payg tariff. This applies to journeys just on the southern section, i.e. south of New Cross/New Cross Gate and for journeys north and south of New Cross/New Cross Gate.

Freedom passes will be accepted 24 hours a day on London Overground services, however for Southern services the freedom pass can be used after 9.30, as per Southern’s current policy on the route. Therefore the Freedom pass will not be valid for journeys into London Bridge before 9:30 and National Rail fares would apply for journey’s into London Bridge[/quote]

I have written to them asking for clarification as to when this fare structure will be introduced.
[/quote]

BarCar

29-04-2010 12:22 PM

I got a reply for LOROL on late evening ELL services via Caroline Pigeon:

Quote:
I can confirm that up to 22:00 hrs, Honor Oak Park will benefit from
eight London Overground trains per hour. We have based our train
frequency on the estimated demand for the service at various times of
the day and train patterns are designed to meet the anticipated demand.

After 22:00hrs when demand is expected to fall considerably, six trains
per hour will call at stations in the core section (between Dalston
Junction and Surrey Quays) with two of the six trains calling at Crystal
Palace, two at West Croydon and two at New Cross. The last service
leaves Dalston Junction at 23:40 and terminates at West Croydon some
fifty minutes later

London Overground acknowledge that Southern services leave London Bridge
later than the London Overground services, however passengers travelling
from London Bridge will generally have come from central London and
therefore demand later at night would naturally be higher.

Of course with the introduction of any new services we will be
monitoring the service closely over the coming months once we have had
the opportunity to review actual passenger numbers and making
adjustments to the service were necessary.

Regards

Gary Webb - External Communications Executive
Transport for London
London Overground

At least there is the hope of a review of passenger numbers once the service goes live.

nevermodern

29-04-2010 01:12 PM

For God's sake. Travellers will be travelling from London Bridge from Central London BECAUSE the train is later from London Bridge. If the ELL trains were later and regular, they wouldn't have to. I wouldn't, anyway. It's really hard to get round this kind of nonsense logic.

showtunesgirl

29-04-2010 02:18 PM

It's like banging your head against a brick wall. Cursing

pattrembath

29-04-2010 02:46 PM

We lose the other option from another part of central London of using the District and Circle line and changing at Whitechapel and catching a direct link to FH and Sydenham? So it's back to the Embankment, change at CX and again at LB. Thanks, a lot!

nevermodern

29-04-2010 02:58 PM

Most ridiculous for me is that you can get a train back from central london to Brighton later than you can get one back to zone 3. Bizarre. Let's hope for improvements soon.

NewForester

29-04-2010 02:58 PM

but the reason that we don't need 6tph from London Bridge is that people travelling to Central London will find it more convenient, easier and cheaper to travel via the ELL and Jubilee lines....

Can you argue it both ways? Should we?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,333 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,921 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,900 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 9,059 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,469 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,458 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,866 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham