SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
Hawkesrah

12-12-2009 09:37 PM

Although this Charing Cross facility via Forest Hill is a concern to some people it doesnt affect me. I virtually always go to London Bridge & if on a rare occaision I am going to Charing Cross I havent got a problem crossing to platform 6.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robin orton

12-12-2009 11:09 PM

Thanks to all who demonstrated today on our behalf. La lutte continue?

dbboy

12-12-2009 11:56 PM

Good to see how much "Southern" care for their passengers and how the change was so poorly publicised by Southern trains. Also have noticed how all Sothern's branding ha[/align]s been removed from stations up to East Croydon.

rbmartin

13-12-2009 12:10 AM

I managed to miss today's BBC local news and couldn't find anything on the BBC London website about today's protest.

I heard a low volume message on the tannoy system at FH on Friday morning about the abolition of through services to CX, excuses given were high speed trains and changes to the Southeastern timetable.

dbboy, the stations from West Croydon to New Cross Gate had Southern branding removed in September as they're under the management of London Overground.

michael

13-12-2009 04:09 PM

TV Report is available at http://blip.tv/file/2965644

robin orton

13-12-2009 05:19 PM

junegapi wrote:

Quote:
Can somebody explain why high speed trains - the Javelin - from Ashford to St Pancras stop Southern running trains from Forest Hill area to Charing Cross. This reason was given at the Higher Level meeting last week, according to the reports I've read.

Well, if nobody can answer that, at least can we be told what a Higher Level meeting is please (sounds like something to do with Scientology!) and where we can find the reports to which junegapi refers?

Gaz

13-12-2009 09:21 PM

Andrewr:

Quote:
I attended the Lewisham Transport Liaison Meeting held on 8 September representing the Forest Hill Society. At the meeting, chaired by Cllr John Muldoon, it was announced that the Council was dropping its opposition to the cuts to our services. Apparently they had been persuaded, in response to their letters of objection, that the overall service being provided was the best available. Any improvement to our service would lead to a worsening of services overall.

Ok, so that is Labour's John Muldoon (Rushey Green) on the blacklist.

Which other councillors supposedly representing us decided to drop their opposition to the cuts? Was it unanimous? I won't be forgetting these councillors nor their parties come election day... Angry

michael

13-12-2009 09:47 PM

John Muldoon chaired the meeting of the Trainspoort Liaison Committee (not the Sydenham High Level meeting) but it was a council officer who apparently stated that Lewisham were satisfied with Southern Railway's response to concerns expressed. Muldoon is not the culpit.

Steve Bullock was contacted about this situation by Richard Hibbert and responded:

Steve Bullock wrote:
It is recognised that there are a number of different rail changes currently being mooted and the overall picture is complex and different parts of South London are likely to see them in different lights.

If and only if I am given the opportunity to move from seeking to influence decisions to actually being able to determine outcomes would I feel it necessary to review our current publicly stated position.

I would, of course, expect those elected members and officials whose knowledge is greater than mine to keep the situation under constant review in order to ensure that we fully understand the implications as well as considering what we would need to do practically if changes were implemented, whether or not it was something we supported or opposed.

For the record the publicly stated position from the full council meeting on 23rd September, supported by all parties, is as follows:

Lewisham Council wrote:
This council calls on the Mayor to write to Southern rail, Transport for London and the Secretary of State for Transport to:
? Express the council's grave concerns about Southern's plans to reduce off-peak and evening peaktime services to and from London Bridge on the
Brockley/Sydenham line from six to four per hour, a reduction of one third, and to oppose these service cuts;
? Ask for an explanation for Southern's refusal to attend a recent meeting with council officials and residents to explain the planned service cuts and invite them to a further meeting, to include the Mayor himself and ward councillors from affected areas;
? Seek a full explanation of the planned service cuts and clarification on the maximum capacity of the rail line for both East London Line and London Bridge services; and
? While wholeheartedly welcoming the new East London Line service, oppose any reduction in services to London Bridge that are carried out purely for financial reasons rather than capacity reasons and lobby instead for the maximum possible services to London Bridge.

My bolding in both statements.

Gaz

13-12-2009 10:08 PM

Thanks for replying, Michael. However, I do not see any evidence that our elected councillors, mayor nor MPs have done anything to help stop cuts to our services - apart from the open letter (that omitted the Charing Cross cuts) which seems to have been brushed aside and meekly accepted by 'Lewisham' with Bullock passing the buck.

As such, in my opinion each and every elected representative is complicit in allowing the decision to cut services unless they blinking well stand up and fight for us. They've certainly not shown they are doing enough yet. Perhaps, they will up their game before the next tranche of cuts are due - just in time for the elections...

Tinkerbell

13-12-2009 11:40 PM

Took the 23:45 last night from CX back to HOP. They actually made an announcement that this would be "the last ever Southern Train out of Charing Cross". Hope dies last...

Hawkesrah

14-12-2009 12:10 AM

Gaz
I assume these cuts refer to trains to Charing Cross from Forest Hill. I am 62 and if I go to Charing Cross I only need go to platform 6 when I get to London Bridge. This doesnt require much effort. I am wondering if this forum has a lot of disabled people in it.

FHSoc

14-12-2009 02:52 AM

For those who were inable to make it, there is a video of the protest available on
Sydenham TV

Honor Oaker

14-12-2009 02:43 PM

I was hoping that with the demise of the through evening trains from Charing Cross, at least some attempt would be made to provide more even spacing in the service from London Bridge, but alas not. Departures remain at 15,24,45 and 54 minutes past each hour, which means that if you miss the 24 or 54 you have a 21-minute wait. Perhaps a more sensible interval will be provided when the timetable is recast next May.

NewForester

14-12-2009 06:14 PM

The proposed timings for May's timetable are on Southern's website, or can be found here at post 602 of this thread

More evenly spread with 12-17 minute waits but 30% fewer carriages and worse overcrowding.

rbmartin

14-12-2009 06:31 PM

I did the evening trip back home from LB last Monday, I was surprised how busy the 2054 was despite the earlier service from CX leaving 10 mins earlier, which I know is always packed. After May when I have to travel in to London and return late, I'll probably end up staying on the Jubilee Line and changing at Canada Water for a more regular service home.

Ghis

14-12-2009 11:10 PM

Thanks Southern for turning my 21min journey on the train to 45min. So my total evening commute is now gone from 50min to 1h15. Great.

Also I tried to get my annual goldcard bought from Southern upgraded to a Zone 1 to 3 ticket as it only only cover me for travel between HOP and Main London terminals. Honor Oak Park station guy told me that can only be done at a main London terminal while the guy at Charing Cross said it could only be done at Honor Oak. I suppose that since I bought it direct from Southern online it can only get them to change it. Then once I can travel to any destination in zone 3, I will try Ladywell station. The train I got on at Charing Cross to go and change at London Bridge was actually a train direct to Ladywell after London Bridge so if I had carried a ticket allowing me to travel anywhere in zone three I would have just stayed on instead of changing at London Bridge. All in all rather inconvenient...

Gaz

15-12-2009 12:40 AM

Hawkesrah:

Quote:
Gaz
I assume these cuts refer to trains to Charing Cross from Forest Hill. I am 62 and if I go to Charing Cross I only need go to platform 6 when I get to London Bridge. This doesnt require much effort. I am wondering if this forum has a lot of disabled people in it.

Hawkesrah, I think you are in the extreme minority if you are happy to accept a loss of trains on the already c**p service that Southern provide.

You admit that you rarely go to Charing Cross and that you do not have a problem getting to Platform 6 - perhaps you should spare a thought for those with prams, those not able bodied, those with heavy suitcases etc who will find it a struggle, let alone those now facing extra time commuting rather than being with their families.

I would also suggest a fair amount of the concern about losing this service is for those on the way home from Charing Cross late in the evening.

Baboonery

15-12-2009 02:06 AM

I'm also not shedding too many tears for the end of the bleak wait on platform 5. Better to wait on a train, or at least not on a wind tunnel platform with a bunch of drunken oafs from Scumhole-on-Sea, and have a better chance of a seat.

Of course it's a shame that we don't have direct services to CX any more. But there are worse things. Like having actual capacity axed.

Point to point seasons within London should have been abolished years ago.

jon14

18-12-2009 12:29 PM

Gaz wrote:
Hawkesrah, I think you are in the extreme minority if you are happy to accept a loss of trains on the already ***** service that Southern provide.

You admit that you rarely go to Charing Cross and that you do not have a problem getting to Platform 6 - perhaps you should spare a thought for those with prams, those not able bodied, those with heavy suitcases etc who will find it a struggle, let alone those now facing extra time commuting rather than being with their families.

Gaz, people with prams have to go to platform 6 for most of the day anyway - so that's not the issue. People with prams are much more likely to want to go to Charing Cross during the day (when they'd have to navigate the steps) than at night time. If services ran from Charing Cross all day every day I'd agree, but they don't.

Baboonery wrote:
I'm also not shedding too many tears for the end of the bleak wait on platform 5. Better to wait on a train, or at least not on a wind tunnel platform with a bunch of drunken oafs from Scumhole-on-Sea, and have a better chance of a seat.

Of course it's a shame that we don't have direct services to CX any more. But there are worse things. Like having actual capacity axed.

I agree entirely.

showtunesgirl

18-12-2009 12:32 PM

I don't think people are quite realising what the Charing Cross cuts mean. One cut means more cuts and if you don't stem the tide now, the services will just keep on being cut. It also illustrates how Southern just can't be bothered.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,333 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,921 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,900 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 9,059 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,470 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,461 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,866 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham