SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
michael

17-11-2009 11:37 PM

Well done to all the people who were leafleting at stations up and down the line this morning. As a result over 300 people have signed the petition in the last 24 hours.

Further coverage at:
http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2009/11...-gear.html
http://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/2009...aches.html

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dipsolala

18-11-2009 12:55 AM

300 more names is a great result in such a short time. Let's hope there are many more as a result of the leafletting in HOP and NXGate tomorrow.

As someone handing out leaflets, I have to say i was surprised at the number of people who had no idea these cuts were coming. Some where quite shocked at what was going to happen. I think we need to think outside the box (forums and societies) on this one on order to inform. No disrespect intended.. it's just not everyone gets online to SE23 Forum etc or partakes in local activities.

I feel there is more stuff to be done in order to raise awareness. I'm sure many will have ideas...and that FHSociety et al will be happy to hear them.

nasaroc

18-11-2009 11:09 AM

Well done to all those who took part in the leafletting and in particular to Richard H, new Chair of FHS, who played a pivotal role in organising it all.

Dipsolala is absolutely correct. Were it not for the efforts of local civic groups like the FH Soc and the pages of sites such as SE23.com, very few passengers would realise these cuts are planned. You can be sure that Southern weren't rushing to inform their passengers (Civic groups only uncovered the planned one third cuts in future services because someone spotted a small phrase in an email from one of the Southern managers in August - it took over a month of repeated communication with Southern to admit the facts. We are still waiting to discover, three months later, whether direct trains from East Croydon have been axed during the evening rush hours).

TfL, unfortunately, don't appear to be any different. A footbridge "disappears" at FH station without any basic information. Oystercards look as if they are going to be introduced in six weeks time without any prior warning or advice to passengers. There is simply no basic information about any future plans. Many things are potentially "good news" items and yet the lack of information frustrates passengers and turns them against the rail authorities.

And yet, try handing out basic information at station gates and you are met with aggression and harassment by the staff. Yesterday, when handing out leaflets at Sydenham station, a member of staff threatened to call the police if we didn't stop. A month ago when handing out leaflets at the same station - this time merely to advertise a Syd Soc public meeting addressed by the TfL PR department - we were threatened in the same way.

It was pointed out on both occasions by my fellow leafletters that "They do always seem to pick on you Barry. I wonder why?"

They could have a point.

showtunesgirl

18-11-2009 11:41 AM

Just got to work after leafletting. I spoke to two people who said that they had already written to Joan Ruddock and both said that they had to wait about 2 months for a reply. One person said that the reply that they got was a photocopy of a letter that had been sent out to someone else. And the other person got fed up and emailed Joan to tell her that he was actually a member of her party and only then did she reply but unsatisfactorily so. Now I don't know if she is being inundated but this doesn't really bode well.

Is it possible for a lot of us to speak to Joan Ruddock at one of her surgeries?

junegapi

18-11-2009 11:50 AM

Nasaroc, It must be the After Shave you use which attracts these spoil sports to you? Have they threatened you with Elth and Safety yet?

se23northener

18-11-2009 11:57 AM

I to am having trouble getting a response out of Joan Ruddock. Would be willing to go to one of her surgeries en masse to press her further on this!

Quote:
Joan's forthcoming surgeries:
Friday 20th November,
Deptford Albany, Douglas Way, Deptford, SE8 4AG
3:30pm - 6pm

Friday 4th December,
Telegraph Hill Centre, Kitto Road, SE14 5TG
3:30 - 6pm

Friday 11th December
Sayes Court Clubhouse, 341 Evelyn Street, SE8 5QT
3:30 - 6pm
(please note Joan may not be able to attend this surgery - the 11th - herself, but if she is not there, her caseworker will be available to see people as normal)

Fandango

18-11-2009 12:16 PM

Still warming up from a morning of leafleting at Honor Oak Station.

The number of people who seemed genuinely caught out by the news of the cuts was quite evident. Whilst only a few people had time to ask questions, you could see the disappointment at the news in many faces.

One gentleman (the Labour party member who cited poor response from Ruddock) suggested that a petition could be put on the 10 Downing Street website.

I'm not sure about the worth of having multiple petitions running side-by side.

On a side not, it was nice to meet some proactive local people Smile

Tersie

18-11-2009 12:41 PM

I too have just warmed up -it did get a bit chilly out there! ;-o Anyway - yes clearly the majority of folk this morning had no idea about the cuts. Lets hope we get a high level of people signing up over the next few days.

Fandango

18-11-2009 12:52 PM

111 signatories so far today Thumbup

showtunesgirl

18-11-2009 12:55 PM

Another thing I noted when I finished and got on the VERY delayed train to town was that the bins on the station platform didn't have ANY of our leaflets in them. In fact the cleaning lady took one of our flyers! Thumbsup

nasaroc

18-11-2009 01:19 PM

Sorry to sound like a tape recorder but if anyone does get to see Joan Ruddock, can you ask her not to support either the South London line reinstatement or the crazy idea of a new line from Bellingham to Victoria please?

Ghis

18-11-2009 02:25 PM

It is not just our services that are being cut in South East London.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/a...are-cut.do

Complete madness...

nasaroc

18-11-2009 02:49 PM

Delighted to see that people in Brockley are beginning to realise the threat posed to their services by the SLL line campaign and the campaign for a new line from Bellingham to Victoria.

http://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/

When oh when is Alex Feakes going to tell us where he stands on these two campaigns?

showtunesgirl

18-11-2009 04:01 PM

2002 and counting! Thumbsup

FHSoc

18-11-2009 11:32 PM

I was speaking to someone from TfL the other day and he mentioned that Ms Ruddock is complaining hard.

My thanks to everyone for all their help in leafletting. We will continue the campaign and will leaflet the stations again.

I will also be talking to those involved to see what our next step is.

showtunesgirl

19-11-2009 11:49 AM

Wow, watch that petition number climb!

I put the petition link on the blackboards outside Honor Oak Park station. I hope this is helping!! Thumbup

PVP

19-11-2009 02:52 PM

Good work people!

alexfeakes

19-11-2009 03:03 PM

I'm happy to reiterate my position, which has been all along to support the campaign to save the services on the Sydenham line.

I do not support the reinstatement of the SLL, as this will affect our services, but do support the proposed Victoria service on the Bellingham line as this will be of great benefit to rail users in that area, and, as explained in an earlier posting on this thread, it won't have an adverse impact on the outer London loop services along the Sydenham line as there is capacity at Victoria already built into the RUS.

If anyone has any specific queries, please do email me at alex@alexfeakes.org. Many thanks.

Satchers

19-11-2009 08:53 PM

I was having a conversation with some work colleagues earlier and they were telling me how great it was that there were going to be lots of extra trains from victoria to orpington and generally south east (not our way though) in two weeks time!

Great for them, they've probably got our paths by some convoluted route!!

NewForester

20-11-2009 01:14 AM

Yes, I just had this email from them

SouthEastern wrote:
It's time for change
A totally new timetable will arrive on Sunday 13 December 2009, bringing you more services, more choice and better connections

We?re always looking at how we can improve our service ? which is exactly what we?re aiming to do with our brand new timetable.

Here are just some of the ways it?s designed to help you get around more easily:

* High speed ? Britain?s first high speed services to St Pancras International.
From 21 stations in Kent. Ashford to London in just 37 minutes. Folkestone and Canterbury in just an hour. 200 services every weekday. National and international connections
* Metro ? fifty additional services every weekday
* Mainline ? increased services on the Tonbridge line
* 5% more capacity overall

Nothing from Southern though...

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,333 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,921 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,900 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 9,059 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,470 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,461 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,866 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham