SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
Fish Face

29-06-2011 12:17 PM

I think it was covered in the post directly before yours Wink

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
poolsneighbour

29-06-2011 12:18 PM

That was in regards to London Bridge?

michael

29-06-2011 12:52 PM

Thameslink is covered earlier in the thread, with this post: http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php...7#pid30837 and a few after it.

In short; yes, we will get thameslink trains in 2019.

rbmartin

29-06-2011 12:59 PM

It's a tad unfair that we should lose more services during the Thameslink works even if it's temporary when we've sacrificed two trains to LB already. Ok, the 10 carriage trains will be able to cram in all those passengers to the remaining 2tph, yet realistically you'll cram even more passengers onto the ELL trains which are now VERY popular all day. Even the Crystal Palace trains fill up by here during the peak.

Two slots will be going when the Inner South London Line (Vic to LB via Peckham Rye) is replaced with the ELL extension to Clapham Junction in December 2012, so that's already a loss of two trains per hour for Peckham customers, so where else do you free up platforms?

michael

29-06-2011 01:12 PM

rbmartin,
I think we need to see how serverely our trains will be cut, but I assume that it is not off-peak where the pressure will be. I suspect that for a couple of years we will have one or two less trains in the morning and evening peak. The RUS recommended increasing the length to 12 carriages, but Network Rail are only doing platform lengthening for 10 carriages in the short term (they'll probably need to extend them again for Thameslink, but I assume that is a different budget). So there will be less capacity once they start cutting services in 2013.

In fairness, it is our line into London Bridge that can easiest absorb cuts to services, on a temporary basis, as we have the ELL (at least for people with travelcards, not Rail Only season tickets - like me). It will be a squash whatever cuts take place. But at least there will be benefits when we get the Thameslink service taking us directly to Kings X.

rbmartin

29-06-2011 01:36 PM

In the evening peak at least, those extra trains to Crystal Palace will probably be the first to go as they leave a few mins after the main train leaves.

You're right about the long term benefits of being able to travel to Kings Cross and Farringdon without changing at LB or Whitechapel in the future, although spare a though for those existing passengers who use the Wimbeldon loop line. They're losing their through services which will terminate at Blackfriars and will keep the existing trains while it seems we'll have new Thameslink trains AND the ELL!

poolsneighbour

29-06-2011 01:48 PM
michael

29-06-2011 02:34 PM

poolsneighbour,
The problem is there is a lack of information about the future plans for Thameslink. I am still working from the recommendations of the 2008 RUS, which is still the most up to date official document.
There is some speculation on http://londonreconnections.blogspot.com/...s-and.html that we would not get Thameslink trains, but I think this is based on possibly wishful assumptions made by 'Pedantic of Purley' (although he is usually a reliable source of information on the London railway system).

Good to see our assembly member, Len Duvall on the case. As Boris points out in his reply, this is not a decision over which he has control, it is in the hands of DfT (the authors of the South London RUS). But I will be keeping a close eye on the next version of the London and South East RUS, which I hope will provide more details on the plans for Thameslink.

Sherwood

06-07-2011 05:40 PM

Thameslink trains are going to be built by Siemens and not by Bombardier. Does this make any difference to us?

Honor Oaker

11-07-2011 02:17 PM

There is still a good deal of uncertainty, and therefore much to play for, concerning the routeing of Thameslink trains once the core St. Panacras to London Bridge re-modelling is completed. There is talk in the London/SE RUS of sending the trains via Lewisham to Dartford and Hayes, thus easing congestion on the tracks to/from Waterloo East and Charing Cross.If this was the case, we would lose out as there aren't enough trains to provide a stopping service on the slow tracks via Forest Hill as well. However, the Forest Hill solution has a number of advantages:
- It would not require as much infrastructure re-alignment east of London Bridge as sending the trains via Lewisham.
- The Southern metro service pattern is a better fit for the proposed Thameslink service than the South-Eastern services.
- A 15-minute Thameslink stopping services via Forest Hill could replace (and enhance) the current Southern London Bridge-Caterham service, freeing up much-needed paths into London Bridge (and Victoria).

Time to get lobbying!

BarCar

15-07-2011 01:02 PM

TFL draft accessibility report June 2011: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/t...report.pdf

Quote:
12.1.3 DfT Access for All programme to 2015

The Access for All Programme is part of the Railways for All Strategy,
which launched in 2006 to address the issues faced by disabled
passengers using railway stations in Great Britain. Central to the strategy
is the ring-fencing of £35m funding a year, until 2015, for provision of an
obstacle-free, accessible route to and between platforms at priority
stations. This generally includes the provision of lifts or ramps, as well as
associated works and refurbishment along the defined route. In the last
year the programme has been seeking to prioritise Olympic critical
stations in London.

The DfT publishes tables listing the stations in England, Wales and
Scotland to which it has targeted Access for All funding. This is subject
to Network Rail carrying out a feasibility study to identify how access can
be improved. This process will include engagement with relevant
stakeholders to ensure that the most appropriate solution can be
achieved within the objectives of the Access for All Programme.
The programme has recently completed the following stations in London:
Balham, Clapham Junction, Forest Hill, Herne Hill, Highbury and
Islington, Kingston, Lewisham, London Euston, Orpington, Purley,
Streatham Common, Streatham Hill and West Hampstead Thameslink.
The stations included in the current funded programme to 2015 in
London are set out in Figure 10:

Figure 10: Near-term and future completion dates for the Access for All
programme

Station Estimated completion
Brockley Early 2014
Honor Oak Park Late 2013

The Access for All Small Schemes Programme, worth around £6m a
year since 2006, has also delivered smaller scale access improvements
such as ramps, information screens, toilets and lighting to around 170
stations in London.

In addition, the DfT has this year launched a new Access for All Mid-Tier
Programme, worth around £17m, for projects requiring between £250k
and £1m of Government funding. The closing date for bids was 27 May
2011 and a number of projects at London stations have been proposed.
Bids are currently being assessed and the results will be announced in
the summer 2011.

michael

15-07-2011 01:50 PM

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/c...ations.pdf

TFL’S RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE HIGH LEVEL OUTPUT SPECIFICATION FOR 2014 – 2019 (HLOS2)

Quote:
Sydenham route
Peak only: Train and platform lengthening to 12 cars on selected peak services between London Bridge and Norwood Junction and Crystal Palace

Quote:
East London Line
All day: Train and platform lengthening to five cars on all London Overground services
Peak only: Additional two tph peak service between Crystal Palace and
Dalston Junction operated by five-car London Overground services

These additional services, prior to the Thameslink implementation in 2019, are to be welcomed, should these recommendations be adopted.

What I suspect is that we are likely to see a reduced London Bridge service from around 2013 of 2 trains per hour in the peak, while the redevelopment of London Bridge takes place. Extending trains to 12 carriages (rather than 10 we are expecting in December) and two replacement trains to Dalston would address the removal of capacity that is likely to occur.

rbmartin

15-07-2011 03:30 PM

I'd hope by then the Jubilee line will be at full capacity now that the new signalling is in place to handle all the passengers who would be using Southern services.

5 car LO services to Dalston in the peak are welcome.

BarCar

15-07-2011 03:32 PM

Is that bad news for Rotherhithe station? I thought it was 4 car max and couldn't be lengthened...

rbmartin

15-07-2011 03:35 PM

Selective door opening can be used on those Overground trains.

Sherwood

15-07-2011 04:48 PM

I suggested that earlier as I have known it happen on some underground trains.
Why not all 8 car trains?

michael

15-07-2011 05:02 PM

8 car trains with selective door opening would mean that half the passengers would need to move through two carriages to get out.
5 carriage trains with selective door opening only required a maximum of 1/4 of the train to use the next set of doors. In a packed train this is a viable option whereas the 8 car trains is not.

Stations between Canada Water and Shadwell will only have platforms long enough for 4 carriages, but I expect they might just manage 4.5 carriages in reality for some of these stations, leaving only a single set of non-opening doors.

I wouldn't mind if they closed Rotherhithe station. You should not be able to see an underground station from the next one along. It isn't a long walk. Those arguing to keep it open should also consider the need for a new station at the German footbridge between Forest Hill and Sydenham.

Sherwood

15-07-2011 06:02 PM

I find it strange seeing the train at the next station while I am waiting at Canada Water!

rbmartin

15-07-2011 06:42 PM

Surrey Quays can only handle 4 carriages, as it's overground, compared to the other former LU stations, it may be possible to extend their platforms to 5.

johnnyb7

20-07-2011 09:30 PM

Anerley Station is visible from Penge West...so what

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,109 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,863 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,715 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 8,950 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,221 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,396 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,755 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham