SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
Perryman

02-11-2009 10:47 PM

Carry on the good work Michael - dont go all stephen fry on us!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

02-11-2009 11:09 PM

I am sure others will pick up the campaign but I will not publicly front this campaign. But with comments like those on http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php...7#pid21497 it would be wrong for me to continue my involvement and risk the good of the campaign.

I am not trying to get praise for the work I have done or anything like that, so please don't. But for the moment I am very happy to shut up like some people would like. If it sounds like I am sulking then you might have a point. I have no other comeback to the accusations levelled against me by people who refuse to enter reasonable discussion on the forum.

Now I suggest this thread returns to the trains.

rbmartin

02-11-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:
As an aside, does anyone know what the London Bridge to Crystal Palace service is like? I believe they have other routes not on the Forest Hill line which may be helpful once the ELL is up and running.

Gaz, from Crystal Palace, there are another two trains to Victoria via Streatham Hill which start from West Croydon and two to LB via Tulse Hill that start from Beckenham Junction, so basically if you miss the through Victoria train.[/quote]

Foresters

02-11-2009 11:22 PM

But that post was by Roz! Not the most chilled poster here.

Surely you can't count that against (what I believe is) massive support for your efforts from everyone else?

robin orton

02-11-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:
Surely you can't count that against (what I believe is) massive support for your efforts from everyone else?

I totally agree, Foresters.

TamLangley

03-11-2009 09:53 AM

To clarify some misunderstandings about our leaflets earlier in this thread, there are two different train issues here:

Crofton Park's proposed service on the Victoria to Bellingham line has been cancelled. As part of the resulting consultation from the Lib Dem campaign against this (as far as I'm aware there isn't any non Lib Dem campaign) there is another round of consultation, with the next crucial meeting is on 24th November.

Petition here: http://bit.ly/YwszA
Latest update and more details here: listentolewisham.org

This decision was taken by a combination of (Labour run) DfT and (Conservative run) TfL. They've passed the buck on who ultimately took the decision.

Then there's the Forest Hill / Honor Oak cuts by Southern
As a number of you have mentioned this is, mainly, a cross party campaign.

Responsible are Southern - though they are ultimately responsible to DfT.

There's one oddity though. Joan Ruddock hasn't answered letters on this campaign - so I can only assume that, as a government minister, she considers these cuts government policy, and so is bound by collective responsibility. Happy to be put right on that though.

Posting by Rob (Tam Langley's partner), since Tam's out of town until tomorrow and only has intermittent internet

aj1

03-11-2009 04:16 PM

Michael: you have worked tirelessly to help improve life for all in Forest Hill and your hard work has really made a difference. Please don't be disheartened by the petty and misguided comments of those who are happy to criticise, but are not nearly as proactive in actually making things change.

roz

03-11-2009 06:25 PM

Apologies for change of subject but I am not going to put up with the last few comments especially as they involve some of my posts.

Michael, as you are well aware, I wrote that post (18th October) to which you refer here so blatantly, largely in response to the FHS rather blanket position that there were no real speeding problems in this area, namely Woodcombe and Ewelme. I understand that was in fact a summary of the FHS viewpoint made to the Council as part of the consultation. I stand by those comments as I and several others who live on these particular roads were and are absolutely furious at such an overt dismissal by the FHS of a long standing local campaign and petitioning over the years and indeed complete denial of the problem. Despite highlighting the extent and timescale of that previous campaign it would appear that you in your capacity of FHS, decided that you knew better than the many local residents who were active in same. If you choose now, either as then Chair of FHS or Michael Abrahams Esq, to take these comments personally then I'm afraid that is your look out.

You now appear , several weeks later, for whatever reason , to want to make some capital out of that comment and to transcribe it somehow and inexplicably to a completely different topic ie a thread on the local train service on which I have not to my recollection posted for some time, only to wish everyone the best of luck. You appear to be withdrawing your personal campaigning on this issue, which I have to say has been excellent, using my previous post on a completely different topic as a reason for doing so. Clearly other people have now joined in the fray, castigating me as the villain of the piece. If this is some way of instigating some sort of backlash against me, as a means of making yourself feel better, or getting further pats on the back from posters, then I am not going to tolerate this being done at my expense.

I am also not prepared to continue to discuss this matter on this forum so will be taking it up further with Richard Hibbert and the FHS Executive.

roz

03-11-2009 06:36 PM

Now I suggest this thread returns to the trains.

roz

03-11-2009 06:45 PM

Oh, and BTW,

Forum Archive
Forest Hill Society
Roz
Joined 17-03-2005
Posted on Saturday, 22 April, 2006 - 06:11 pm:
So how does it sound?
Following an excellent suggestion from the Sydenham Society, is there anyone interested in setting up an equivalent society in/for Forest Hill? I gather that any such group can co-op itself to the Civic Trust and get lots of support and information that way. There is already a similar group in Brockley, Brixton, and Dulwich.

So what do you think? Any takers?

Sincere apologies if since I first suggested setting up the FHS in 2006, the challenges of two difficult pregnancies, the trials of raising small children, and keeping a full time pressurised job in north London going has hampered my 'pro-activity in making things change.' Others thankfully know different.
Time also I think for a sincere thanks to the many ( you would think they were invisible sometimes!) FHS committee members who have worked hard for the community over the years without tripping over their egos.

Now back to those trains....

showtunesgirl

03-11-2009 07:53 PM

Now I don't know the ins and outs of what has happened between Roz and Michael but basically I'm just concerned that Michael who seems to be the best person for THIS job to coordinate a petition / campaign now doesn't carry this as far as he can because of something personal.

Surely everyone is able to put aside their differences to pull together and campaign on the same front?

I would be happy to help coordinate the campaign myself but am definitely not privy to as much info as others on here.

Please can someone decide to be the person that we stand behind and just get on with saving our trains?

nevermodern

04-11-2009 02:04 AM

I'm with Michael on this one, whether he likes it or not!

Fandango

04-11-2009 10:40 AM

I don't know the history, or the nature of the disquiet.

Michael. Please consider continuing your good work on behalf of all those in Forest Hill (and beyond).

Whatever you decide, I'd like to thank you for all you've done.

Ex FH Pat

04-11-2009 11:40 AM

After reading all the threads - i think i may count muself lucky that i can use the tube/bus/train for work and social - yet on saying that i still beleive that FH is a better place to live than Tooting - many years ago when i lived in FH, the train service was pretty good yet now appears to be a shambles[/align]

Anyway good luck all in your fight - i hope you win

soulrider

04-11-2009 11:57 AM

I know the reduced train service is a big topic at the moment, on a smaller subject...

Does the 8:35 fast train ever turn up on time anymore? Im sure I remember it used to turn up on time and take about 12 mins to get to London Bridge. Occasionally i get this train (although I used it regularly at one time when it was more reliable). It appears to always late and consequently gets stuck behind loads of trains and therefore take 20 mins to get to LB.

On another point I am already so so fed up with the overcrowding on our trains that I have decided to drive to sydenham hill and get the train to victoria to get to Paddington (where I work) instead - Not only am I guaranteed a seat, but I am also guaranteed not having vast sways of standers hunching over me too! It's actually quite an enjoyable trip to work now

stefan

04-11-2009 02:09 PM

sometimes reading this I think I must boarding the train at a different forest hill..take the 07:59 or 08:11 and back on the 17:35 from London Bridge, always get a seat in the morning and on way back and hardly ever delays - just have to say the service from forest hill is fantastic

Mattfh

04-11-2009 04:26 PM

At least someone is having a decent commute Stefan. Trains after those times in the morning peak are definitely busier affairs in my experience although the majority of times I can at least get onto the train (potentially with a few elbows and bags in my face). I certainly prefer getting on at Forest Hill than Honor Oak. I used Honor Oak Park for 5 years prior to moving and it would always be jammed full in the morning. Its only once I started using Forest Hill the last few years that I realised it was because of the volume of people getting on there.
Bear in mind the 17:35 train could be one of the 2 less trains per hour in the evening peak running to Forest Hill from December when our timetable changes...

rbmartin

04-11-2009 05:33 PM

Luckily I only commute up twice a week into town, the 0920 which is the last 'peak' service I can normally get a seat on if I go in the first carriage but fills up by the time we get to Brockley, although that service is more full than the 0913 which has six carriages.

Foresters

04-11-2009 05:34 PM

There is an issue at hand regarding campaigning for a reversal of the planned cuts in service frequency and complete axing of the direct Charing Cross evening services trains.

It is very sad that Michael has chosen to stand back from active support of this, but if that is his decision I suppose it must be respected.

Was his previous support purely personal or was it in his capacity as a representative of the Forest Hill Society? Does anyone know?

If the latter, does anyone know if this issue is still on the agenda of the FHS?

If it is, does anyone know who would be the person to progress the matter (leaflets, contact with other groups, etc)?

FHSoc

04-11-2009 05:52 PM

Let me assure you all that the Forest Hill Society will continue to campaign with other local societies to get these changes reversed. I am talking to councillors and other societies in order to make sure that all those communities up and down the line coordinate their efforts.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,208 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,890 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,791 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 9,024 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,304 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,429 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,827 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham