SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
roz

25-01-2008 02:47 PM

Theres nothing wrong with venting frustration or sharing information, but we are in a situation of paralysis by analysis here. I just think its either do something radical which is ' outside the box' ,or put up with the problems.
We can sit and talk all we like and enagage them in polite letters and debate and to an extent that may have a little influence that will result in a minor improvement, but thats about all it will achieve, as they have no intention of catering for consumer interest.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

28-01-2008 02:11 PM
michael

28-01-2008 02:20 PM

7:20am was cancelled this morning and the 7:31am was very crowded and left people standing on the platform at all stations. It departed Forest Hill a little late (7:34am) and arrived at 8:00am.

Southern were clearly having problems as when we arrived at London Bridge it was the only train in the station.

NJD

28-01-2008 02:22 PM

Yes it was terrible. And no explanation at all.

roz

28-01-2008 03:13 PM

See Ghis's link; The First Great Western passengers have got it right!
This headline grabbing stuff is what will make the news and is needed here.

PS who needs to incite or create commuter chaos when its already here.

nevermodern

28-01-2008 04:07 PM

Sorry, but this real overcrowding (from FH station, at least) is something that's only got bad in the last month or so. I've lived in FH for two years now, and the 8.53, for example, has always been extremely reliable - I even got a seat on average about 75% of the time. In the last month or so, however, trains around that time have suddenly become late or cancelled, thereby doubling the number of passengers on the next train along. And I'm really not sure what's happened to bring about such a rapid deterioration in service.

Ghis

28-01-2008 04:44 PM

Indeed it seems that its the cancelled and broken down trains that are the problem not the impact of the ELL closure.

Jon Lloyd

28-01-2008 04:53 PM

It was so bad this morning at HOP I ended up getting the P4 to Lewisham and got a train to Charing Cross within 2 mins of arriving there. If I'd got caught using a Southern ticket on Southeastern trains, I know who I'd send the bill to. I had waited on Honor Oak platform in the freezing cold this morning for 45mins before giving up. It's pathetic.

nevermodern

28-01-2008 05:30 PM

I gave up and got the 176 to Oval.

bigjulie

29-01-2008 12:08 AM

I went to HOP at about midday today to get a train to Wallington. I stood there for half an hour and not one train came through the station (not even on the fast tracks). Then 3 workmen came along and started walking down the lines. I decided then it was time to go and get a bus (122 to Crystal Palace, 157 to Wallington - really good, the roads were quiet).
The most annoying thing is that despite the chaos the announcements were completely useless - no real information at all.

Londondrz

29-01-2008 09:26 AM

nevermodern wrote:
Sorry, but this real overcrowding (from FH station, at least) is something that's only got bad in the last month or so. I've lived in FH for two years now, and the 8.53, for example, has always been extremely reliable - I even got a seat on average about 75% of the time. In the last month or so, however, trains around that time have suddenly become late or cancelled, thereby doubling the number of passengers on the next train along. And I'm really not sure what's happened to bring about such a rapid deterioration in service.

I am sorry but I do not agree. On the odd occasion when my motorbike stays at home because I have had a few too many the night before I try to get the 8:11 or earlier train if possible. I very rarely get on it and may have to wait for 1 or 2 trains before I can squeeze on.

SSR

29-01-2008 10:03 AM

4 carriage trains - the 8.48 from FH yesterday, and the 8.59 today. And I don't live in HOP or Brockley! I know I am lucky to be able to get on, but once on it is simply sub-human. It is only a matter of time before there is a significant punch-up. Four words:
Not fit for purpose.
I know having a moan like this doesn't achieve anything, but I feel better getting it it off my chest!

NJD

29-01-2008 10:30 AM

OK I am now on absolute last straw. 8.02 from HOP was FOUR CARRIAGES. Squeezed on 8.13 but could hardly breathe - people from Brockley got angry, people from NCG got angry. I thought I was going to pass out. Then at London Bridge the doors wouldn't open and someone had to pull the emergency door opener and force the doors because people were panicing.

I am happy to help start a campaign of some sort - I work in PR so I have an idea about how it could work - but I'll need someone who uses Forest Hill and preferably a Brockley person too. We'll need to think about what are main aim is - is it more frequent trains at peak (7.45 to 8.30) we know already that they can't make the trains any longer.

I think we also need to involve the Forest Hill society because they have had dialogue with Southern and our local MP already. No point in going over old ground. I also think we should try and get in touch with the Great Western campaign.

Does anyone know who at Forest Hill society I should get in touch with to kick things off?

michael

29-01-2008 10:41 AM

The Forest Hill Society has a transport sub-committee meeting this evening. I think the poor quality of current train services may be on the agenda. We can all put up with the odd bad service from Southern, but there service has been really bad so far this year.

NJD

29-01-2008 10:45 AM

Michael - are you part of it? Is there anyway that we can find out what was discussed and what their plan is in terms of dialogue with Southern?

roz

29-01-2008 10:48 AM

Does anyone know who at Forest Hill society I should get in touch with to kick things off?
[/quote]

Try
michael@foresthillsociety.com
peter@foresthillsociety.com

I would also like to be part of this campaign as I am honestly thinking of changing my job for something less well paid in order to ease the stress and impact on my family . I will shortly be very constrained re working hours and commuting pattern due to childcare drop off and collection requirements, and delays such as this will make my life impossible and probably would create severe problems with my employer. To make it work I would have to reduce my working week considerably to build in some flexibility. So for me at least this situation has a considerable monetary cost hence I am very keen to do something that makes a difference.

michael

29-01-2008 12:49 PM

I wanted to alert you to the poor quality of Southern services over the last few weeks using the Forest Hill line. Yesterday was a spectacularly bad day, but things have been generally bad so far this year and feel like they are getting worse. Passengers are keeping track of the situation on the forum at http://www.se23.com and I have listed below a few of the recent comment (not about yesterday which I know was a particularly bad day with delays over 2 hours reported):

removed the text to make more readable. Exact feedback is in the attached document

I hope that Southern can get back to the performance that we had been used to. With the closure of the East London Line for the next two years there are significantly more pressures on our line and rather than running longer trains or more trains exactly the opposite appears to be happening.

I will keep you informed of performance indicators from the travelling public but I hope that you can provide some reassurance that you are able to tackle the growing problems and increasing overcrowding. With the recent fare strike on GWR I know that passengers are becoming increasingly willing to take action when they receive sub-standard services.

Michael Abrahams
Forest Hill Society
michael@foresthillsociety.com

Attached File(s)
.doc File  feedback.doc (Size: 25.5 KB / Downloads: 650)
nevermodern

29-01-2008 01:03 PM

Thanks for that, Michael. I urge everyone to email Southern in a similar fashion to nip this spectacular drop in service levels in the bud.

hasto

29-01-2008 01:10 PM

That sounds great Michael. I don't suffer from claustraphobia, but the 7.59am train was so bad this morning, I certainly symphasise with anyone that does. I just feel sorry for anyone living further down the track than Forest Hill, its a total nightmare!!

davidl

29-01-2008 01:12 PM

Emailing is a good idea - as is recording your experience on the Passenger Focus website.

Thinking about how the complaints we have might best be communicated, I noticed that there is a "Meet the Managers" session at L Bridge on 28th Feb. Annoyingly this is (as always) in the morning when people are more concerned about actually getting to work, but I think I'll be making the effort to speak to them (and see what their point of view is).

Perhaps we could organise some sort of delegation to present some collated points/complaints? I have no idea exactly what this might entail but I am sure there will be some suggestions...

Pages (70): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,051 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,851 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,686 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 8,925 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,176 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,386 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,717 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham