SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
michael

07-10-2009 02:04 PM

Article in the Newsshopper / This is Local London
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/..._services/
Who is the handsome chap in the photo? Laugh

You can sign the petition at http://nototraincuts.notlong.com

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vipes

07-10-2009 04:26 PM

Well you've licked the "I'm cross about this" look.

I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating all the PR energy you're putting into this.

showtunesgirl

07-10-2009 04:31 PM

Hear, hear! Thumbup

Tinkerbell

09-10-2009 10:01 AM

Tried to ask at the info stand at Charing X yesterday, as to the exact date when services via Forest Hill would stop. The answer "Will they? I didn't know." As usual, the 22.07 was pretty full already leaving Charing X, arriving into a packed platform at London Bridge. As and when the Charing X trains stop, this will do nothing for congestion on the platform at London Bridge.

Foresters

09-10-2009 10:22 AM

December is rapidly approaching. Once these services stop it will be hard to have them re-instated. Surely there should be a massive effort right now to influence abandonment of the plans.

Does anyone know if other people using stations along the route are aware of this - and if not, how best to reach them (as per my previous posts).

Michael - what about the leafleting idea? What about enlisting volunteers from here to do this - I can certainly spare some time.

davidl

09-10-2009 11:01 AM

Tinkerbell wrote:
...when the Charing X trains stop, this will do nothing for congestion on the platform at London Bridge...

Personally I will miss the Charing X trains if and when they stop, but one positive aspect of this is that the congestion at London Bridge will surely be significantly alleviated due to the fact that the trains will be starting there rather than stopping/passing through with the attendant scrum that tends to cause.

People will have 10-15 minutes with a train sitting in the station which they can board in a calm, relaxed and perhaps even leisurely manner, rather than the current 2 minutes of pandemonium.[/quote]

johncv8

10-10-2009 04:33 PM

Err, no!

The platform of departure for trains starting from LB now is often shown about 2 minutes before the train is due to leave then you have to join the throng rushing the barriers, trick is to get as close as you can to the barrier leading to the platform you think will be announced whilst still being able to read the departure board in case you're wrong, that way you're sure of a seat.

Regards

John

p.s. First post and already contradicting somebody, sorry about thatRolleyes

Elizabeth25

11-10-2009 10:22 AM

Actually, if you go onto the Southern website (while at work) you can find out which platform your train is leaving from and you can wait on the platform before the number is annouced. Thumbup

rbmartin

11-10-2009 11:03 AM

You can also check it out via the national rail enquiries website on your mobile phone if it's internet enabled, but it's a bit fiddly.

roz

11-10-2009 11:11 AM

I think the only thing that will work alongside all the usual forms of protest and petitions will be mass protest/ a day of action of some sort at the stations along the route with lots of media attention.
These companies hate bad publicity as it worries the shareholders. Any ideas? Halloween is upon us soon. Ghosts of train services past, perhaps?

roz

11-10-2009 11:13 AM

It's also good that Michael gets this coverage of the issue but it would be nice to see more elected representatives in the press speaking out for us also- that is their job after all. So where are they all? And has Jim Dowd made official representation on our behalf in the H of C? That all kicks off again next week- let that be his first achievement of the new parliamentary term!

roz

11-10-2009 11:21 AM

These tactics may be useful in preventing the closure of Charing X Services to FH. How about occupying a train and/or refusing to let the doors shut as a protest so the train is held at FH for a few hours whilst Michael and local councillors give media interviews from it.
Provided we're all calm and the whole thing meets ISO standards of organisation hopefully the Council will pass a motion congratulating us. As long as we all have valid tickets we should all be OK.

I posted the above in another thread in jest, but now it doesn't seem that ridiculous an idea. Any views?

Also one of those T mobile like gatherings where hundreds of angry commuters are filmed singing service obituaries at Charing Cross. Any theatrical directors out there willing to help?

Satchers

11-10-2009 01:51 PM

In reply about the platform number, if you have an iphone (as it seems a very high proportion of the people on these trains seem to) and the overpriced National Rail app (?4.99!) then you can also find out the platform number in advance.

I tried to avoid paying National Rail for this information and train times for a while (there used to be free versions) but it is actually very good.

I am also pleased to see that in the change from the station being operated by Southern to London Overground that the staff have not been replaced. Whilst they may be variable in their helpfulness and sunny disposition it is at least good to have regular people working in the station. Much better Uniforms too.

Has anyone actually seen any staff at the station late at night? So far I haven't but then I haven't looked that hard.

I think a lot of people gathering to catch and delay one particular train service (that will be cut) is quite a good idea.

robin orton

11-10-2009 08:07 PM

Roz wrote:

Quote:
And has Jim Dowd made official representation on our behalf in the H of C? That all kicks off again next week- let that be his first achievement of the new parliamentary term!

So far I've only had an acknowledgement from his office to the email I send him on 25 August - and nothing at all from Network Rail. See copy below of my post of that date.

Quote:
I have sent a message to Network Rail as follows:

I understand that the decision that direct services in the evening between Forest Hill and Charing Cross should be withdrawn with effect from this coming December was taken by Network Rail. If so, can you please explain to me the reason for this significant deterioration in our services - or at least tell me where I can find such an explanation?

I have also emailed Jim Dowd, as follows:

Dear Mr Dowd

I am very concerned about the planned withdrawal from December of direct trains in the evening between Forest Hill and Charing Cross. This will make getting home from the West End after an outing to the theatre etc a lot more complicated, inconvenient and uncomfortable than it is at present. I have written to Network Rail (who I understand actually took the decision to cancel Southern's slots at Charing Cross) for an explanation. Meanwhile I hope you will do all you can to get this decision reversed.

Best wishes

Robin Orton

Other thing being equal, I will post any replies I get here.

michael

11-10-2009 08:11 PM

Next Meet the Manager session with Southern Railway is on 15th October in the morning (same day as the Forest Hill Society AGM) at London Bridge - 0730-0930.

http://www.southernrailway.com/your-jour...-managers/

Please take a few minutes out of your morning commute to speak to the managers from Southern Railway.

* Ask them why it is Southern customers that must suffer for the rearranged late evening services? Why were South Eastern able to keep all their services to Charing Cross (without adding any additional services)?

* Let them know the effect the cuts to off-peak and evening peak services will make to your journey.

* Ask them why 6 trains per hour are needed in the morning and only 4 are needed to go home in the evening?

* Ask them why there appears to be a coordinated effort to cut South London train services (Forest Hill Line, South London Loop, and Bellingham to Victoria), and what this says about their commitment to running passenger services for South Londoners.

Stick around for a while to encourage others to stop and chat, don't worry if the managers aren't listening, tell commuters about the plans for train cuts!

Muss

11-10-2009 08:12 PM

There's another way to make a protest against TfL or Southern Trains - hit them where it hurts, in the pocket.

This only applies to monthly and annual season ticket holders, though.

Annoyed with TfL and their empire building ways? Then do not renew your season ticket at Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park. Renew it at London Bridge. Southern Trains will receive the revenue they lost after handing over FH/HOP to TfL.

Annoyed with Southern reducing services? Renew your season ticket at a non-Southern or a non-SouthEast train station (both are owned by the same company). Like Waterloo (SouthWest Trains).

All TOCs will sell you season tickets for anywhere in the country at the same price even if you don't use their trains, as I was told by the helpful lady at SouthWest. I only know this after FirstGreatWestern took ?3K out of my account without giving me a season ticket. This made me a bit angry. So, I got my money back and gave it to SouthWest in exchange for a season ticket.

michael

11-10-2009 08:50 PM

Time for a protest!

A number of people have volunteered to give some time to help with this campaign, others have suggested a protest at London Bridge.

Attached is a paper copy of the petition. Please print it out and on 15th October from 07:30am collect signatures directly in front of the Meet the Manager session! (London Bridge, main concourse for platforms 8-16)

Of course Southern Railway may not like this, as we will not have official permission to collect petition signatures, which is why it needs lots of individuals willing to get involved.

Once you have collected any number of signatures - from a single signature to pages of signatures, you must send them to me (either at the FH Soc AGM in the evening, or I will provide my postal address on request to michael@foresthillsociety.com).

An hour of your time could make a real difference to the pressure we can put on Southern Railway and the Department for Transport.

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  paper petition.pdf (Size: 585.63 KB / Downloads: 292)
michael

12-10-2009 11:37 AM

The petitions on the platform might be a little excessive, but I am hoping that in the 2 hour period that we can get hundreds of people to stop and speak to the managers, to politicians, and to the press.

If you have more guts than me, why not ask others in your carriage on the way in, to stop at the meet the manager session as well?

showtunesgirl

12-10-2009 11:41 AM

Would it not be useful to flyer people as they are on their way onto the train about this issue and also the fact that they can talk to the managers at their end destination?

Foresters

12-10-2009 11:57 AM

Or flyer people the evening / night before...

Flyering (is that a word?) at Charing Cross and London Bridge would, I guess, be a more efficient way of reaching people than trying to hit each station along the route.

What is the legal situation regarding handing out flyers on the platform? I assume it would not be allowed - in which case, how many entrances are there at Charing Cross and London Bridge and how many people would be needed to cover them all for a large part of the day / night?

Has any progress been made in reaching similar societies / community groups along the Caterham route to increase available support - as per my earlier posts?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,129 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,874 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,724 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 8,969 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,231 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,408 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,771 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham