SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
Foresters

17-09-2009 11:41 PM

michael,
Thanks for the update and setting up the petition.

What was the outcome of your meeting a while back?

"Nasaroc and I will be going to see Jim Dowd tomorrow to discuss this issue. I have also spoken to London Assemly Member Caroline Pidgeon (chair of the transport committee)."

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

18-09-2009 07:46 AM

Jim Dowd was very understanding of our concerns and undertook to speak to DfT and Southern about the situation.

The petition address is: http://nototraincuts.notlong.com

Foresters

18-09-2009 09:25 AM

The petition reads

Quote:
Southern Railways are planning to cut trains to Brockley, Honor Oak Park, Forest Hill, and Sydenham...

I'm curious... it's a Caterham train that I get back from Charing X.

Do the planned cuts only affect Brockley, Honor Oak Park, Forest Hill, and Sydenham - or are the people further along the line to Caterham going to be disadvantaged also?
In other words is there more support to be had?

showtunesgirl

18-09-2009 09:29 AM

Surely it's now time to start flyering stations? Does anyone know of a local print firm who would be willing to help?

michael

19-09-2009 03:20 PM

A report from Thursday's meeting organised by the Sydenham Society and Sydenham Assembly can be read at: http://sydenham.org.uk/news_railway_09_09.html

michael

20-09-2009 09:10 PM

rymerster

20-09-2009 10:09 PM

Thankyou - not living in the area yet but have signed as the regular train service to central London is one of the reasons why I am hoping to move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak.

Londondrz

21-09-2009 09:42 AM

They were handing out sweets at Forest Hill station this morning, how nice.[/u]

se23northener

21-09-2009 05:53 PM

I have now received a reply from London Travel Watch, on the removal of evening services from Charing Cross. Note the very interesting part in paragraph 3:

"... to summarise this is how the situation came about:

"1. Network Rail proposes withdrawal of services in South London RUS - but only at peak times and suggests further work on the off peak service.
2. DfT tells Southeastern that they can assume from December 2009 new timetable no Southern services will run through to Charing Cross, but including evenings and weekends.
3. Southeastern submits a timetable bid to Network Rail in compliance with DfT's instructions.
4. Network Rail then tells Southern sorry you can't have your timetable aspiration for continuing evening and weekend services to Charing Cross.
5. Consequently Southern has to withdraw from evening and Sunday services.

"The perverse part of this is that the actual number of Southeastern trains going through to Charing Cross in the evening and on Sundays is not increasing in December 2009 - they are just moving the timings of their services! Our Director, Research & Development asked DfT whether they would object to Southern proposing to run to Charing Cross on a commercial basis and they said no and passed the problem on to Network Rail.

"I would suggest therefore that ultimately the DfT is the responsible decision maker and in this instance you might wish to contact them. Here are their contact details:

Department for Transport, Great Minster House, 76 Mintern Street, London, SW1P 4DR, tel 020 7944 8300"

I am not quite sure what to make of all this, but first thoughts are that there are so many parties involved here that our direct service seems to have fallen into the cracks between them all. I am no longer sure if there is any justification for removing the service to Charing Cross. This certainly does not tally with what Southern said at the meeting on the 17th.

I will certainly be writing to DfT and also asking Joan Ruddock to do the same. I will also write to Southern again to ask for their comment on this.

michael

22-09-2009 09:51 AM

The petition now has over 500 signatures in just 4 days!
http://nototraincuts.notlong.com

There is a motion going to full council on Thursday evening (24th September - 7:30pm), see details at http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/councilanddem...202009.htm
This motion, proposed by Brockely councillor Dean Walton, opposes cuts to rail services on our line and I hope it will get cross party support.

I am told that a good turn out in the public gallery will get it discussed early on the agenda and will make sure that the council take this issue more seriously.

Please attend this meeting if you can.

Foresters

22-09-2009 11:02 AM

The motion doesn't seem to mention the planned axing of our direct Charing Cross service..?

michael

22-09-2009 08:50 PM

Tune in to LBC tomorrow morning at 7:45am for the Nick Ferrari and Barry Milton show!

michael

22-09-2009 09:46 PM

BBC Online report on cuts to rail services
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8268471.stm

junegapi

22-09-2009 10:58 PM

Surely the new high speed service from Ashford will be using the Eurostar track into St Pancras? I fail to see how this will affect services to London Bridge and Charing Cross

Foresters

22-09-2009 11:33 PM

michael wrote:
BBC Online report on cuts to rail services
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8268471.stm

What dreadful reporting from the BBC.
Take a look at the caption under the picture and read the half-baked copy.

michael

22-09-2009 11:49 PM

I find it hard to believe that I used the word 'hellish' on the phone to the reporter. It is not a word I can ever recall using and I might reserve it for slightly worse situations than an overcrowded train.

However, all publicity is good publicity and another 100 people have signed [url= http://nototraincuts.notlong.com]the petition[/url] today, taking us over 600. If you haven't signed yet please consider it, and help us get as many votes as possible before the council meeting on Thursday evening.

http://nototraincuts.notlong.com

If you have signed already please ask other members of your family and your friends who use peak, off-peak, evening, and weekend services to help us fight these cuts. It is only with your support that we have any chance of getting the railway authorities to change their plans.

nasaroc

23-09-2009 08:02 AM

Called up to speak on LBC this morning but then "stood down", I'm afraid! (see Michael's posting above).

Talk about climate change and Baroness Scotland went on for far too long to get on to rail travel. Pity - because the guest on the show was Kulveer Ranger, Director of Transport Policy for the Mayor. And Boris stood on a policy of better transport links for outer London and areas away from LU.

Please sign the petition

http://www.gopetition.com/online/30683.html

Foresters

23-09-2009 10:02 AM

Can I try to get some clarification on a couple of things if anyone knows for sure (I seem to have some contradictory information):

- What is happening with the LBG-VIC loop line (I have heard both that this is to be axed and that it is to expand to include the morning peak)?

- Does the planned axing of the CHX direct evening service only affect Brockley, Honor Oak Park, Forest Hill, and Sydenham as stated in the petition? It looks to me as though it affects stations through to Caterham and, if so, is there any campaign support coming from beyond Sydenham?

- Will the Charing Cross situation be discussed at the council meeting on Thursday - as it's not mentioned in Dean Walton's motion.

michael

23-09-2009 10:34 AM

- LBG-VIC loop line
This will be extended to morning peak. Other services to Victoria (South London Loop via Peckham) will be axed and there will not be the Bellingham to Victoria service that had previously been planned.

- Effect on Caterham
As I understand it Caterham will not get direct trains from Charing Cross. But they wil get faster emptier trains from London Bridge as they will not allow us on these fast trains.

- Will the Charing Cross situation be discussed at the council meeting on Thursday - as it's not mentioned in Dean Walton's motion.
Yes. I believe that an amendment is likely to be proposed to include the loss of the evening services.

se23northener

23-09-2009 11:01 AM

Speaking of the planned (but now axed) 4-trains-per-hour Bellingham to Victoria service, there is a campaign to save that one as well. Cllr Pete Pattisson has started a petition which is here: http://www.ourcampaign.org.uk/phantomtrain

It's a bit peripheral to us in SE23, passing through Catford and Crofton Park, but it is interesting to see that other local rail lines are having their own problems. I have occasionally used this line to go to Blackfriars, but found the half-hourly frequency of the service frustrating after being used to our 6-8 trains per hour. Although this line does now run through to St Pancras and Luton Airport, which is useful.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,049 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,851 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,667 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 8,922 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,172 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,383 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,714 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham