SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
roz

01-05-2009 07:53 AM

Just for info there was a sign up saying FH station was closed all of this coming weekend; likely to upset a few travel plans no doubt especially on a Bank Holiday, but there is never a right time"

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Perryman

03-05-2009 11:41 AM

Is it cynical to think they could provide a service if they wanted to, (closing just one platform), but it is cheaper for them to run a bus service?

When the ellx opens, is it cynical to think that on maintenance weekends, the trains will just terminate at new cross gate? ie we will still be second class citizens on our own line.

If it saved money am I right in thinking some would not care if FH station closed altogether, if a new station was opened within a 20min walk from the old site, (but still in FH Ward)?

grasshopper

03-05-2009 12:34 PM

Perryman - excellent idea to shut down FH station and rebuild it elsewhere. Perhaps a new "Forest Hill Halt" (or perhaps it more correctly should be called "Sydenham Halt") could be constructed close to the site of the footbridge over the railway close to the German Church:

The main advantages would be:
1. Cost-saving.
2. The current site of FH station could be sold for housing.
3. The new station could be completed quickly - probably by 2011, whereas it's highly unlikely money will be found to improve the existing FH station before 2012.
4. The new station would be closer to the planned Willow Way Swimming Emporium.

As I see it, the new station would be a way of reinvigorating FH by moving the town to a new centre further south. Perhaps a feasibility study could be carried out by LBL into the possibility of also moving the Horniman Museum to the site of the electricity substation next to the footbridge. Then the site of the Horniman Museum plus Horniman Gardens could also be rezoned for housing.

No doubt our friends from the "conservation" lobby will sneer at these plans. When will these people learn that town planning and the provision of services come way down the list of priorities? Money talks in this day and age!

I don't care where a station is sited. I want me and my kids to be able to get on a train as soon as possible without being held up by a lot of do-gooders carry out "essential rail engineering."

Perryman

03-05-2009 03:38 PM

Laugh "the planned Willow Way Swimming Emporium"
Very funny grasshopper.

But I like maintenance.

However, it is funny why it is always 'essential' rail engineering.
It sounds a bit like it has been left to the last minute to me.

Perhaps if they did a bit more routine maintenance on our rusting institutions then they would not have had to shut the services completely down. Both FH pools (2 pools) and our railway (4 lines) have spare capacity to allow this.

brian

03-05-2009 05:23 PM

Had a look this morning and confirmed with booking office clerk that they seem to be replacing the fast downside rail. A may of course be wrong
I think we have to accept the closure on occasions like this . We should be happy infrastructure being updated.
I to hate replacement bus services .
As the worst part of the repacement bus service is the time taken from LB to NCG , surprised they do not ask people to get trains to NC and run buses from there. That would cut the time spent on buses quite a lot.Perhaps I should suggest it to them. Would save a lot of money . A few weeks ago when I had to take such a journey thje time taken from LB to NCG was more than the time taken from NCG to FH.

roz

29-06-2009 11:21 PM

Had to catch the 176 bus back from town this evening due to no trains from Charing X and LB. Anyone find out what the problem was? Never managed to get into Charing X to find out.

Ghis

30-06-2009 07:46 AM

Side fire on the line. I waited one hour at Charing Cross and got home at 9pm instead of 8pm. Once we were finally on the move, I could not see any sign of fire though.

showtunesgirl

30-06-2009 11:40 AM

The fire was between Waterloo East and London Bridge according to platform staff. I caught the Jubilee to London Bridge and HOP trains were working fine from there.

BarCar

14-07-2009 11:16 AM

The new Overground trains have been officially launched - photos at http://londonreconnections.blogspot.com/...ound.html. Only 100 seats in the initial 3-car NLL version but plenty of standing room. The ELL version will have 4 cars.

billham

14-07-2009 11:54 AM

The link in the previous post has a rogue full stop. This should work...

http://londonreconnections.blogspot.com/...round.html

showtunesgirl

14-07-2009 11:57 AM

Grrr. As per usual there are overhead bars and straps and not enough central poles. If you are like me under 5 foot 3, overhead bars and straps are almost impossible to hold on to. Thumbdown

Horseface

14-07-2009 09:55 PM

Does anyone know if the East London line is due to reopen on schedule, ie "by summer 2010"? I can't find any reliable reports of progress on the TFL website.

BarCar

14-07-2009 10:07 PM

The June report to TFL board on Overground (including ELL) indicated that all was on schedule for June 2010.

http://londonreconnections.blogspot.com/...-0609.html

Quote:
East London Line Extension Phase One

The project remains on schedule for delivery in June 2010. Progress has continued on the main works contract with Balfour Beatty-Carillion Joint Venture, the main works contractor, completing the remaining planned key milestones for the first quarter of 2009. They have maintained this progress with the completion of the first three key milestones in quarter two of 2009.

The New Cross Gate Rolling Stock Maintenance Facility has progressed with the first key partner, Network Rail Operations, taking occupancy of part of the Operational Buildings Complex. A plan is now in place for the occupation of the entire facility over the forthcoming months. A series of possessions to support the on-network works on the existing Network Rail Infrastructure, have been successfully completed at New Cross Gate, West Croydon and Crystal Palace.

East London Line Extension Phase Two

The TfL Board gave full financial and project authority for the project on 31 March 2009. Following this milestone, Parsons Brinkerhoff has been appointed as Technical Advisor for Phase 2 and will be responsible for designing the 1.3km new stretch of railway line. Network Rail has appointed Arup as their advisor for the on-network works.

An order for an additional three 4-car Capital Star, electric trains has been added to the 54 trains already on order from Bombardier. The new trains will be dual voltage to allow operation across the London Overground network.

Nicecupoftea

24-07-2009 11:57 PM

Couple of questions on extension when it opens:

Will trains still go to London Bridge?

Connection at Canada Water to Jubilee Line ... will there be crowd control at morning rush hour? Seriously, how's it going to work?

Ghis

25-07-2009 10:24 AM

Yes trains will still run to London Bridge:

Have a read of this whole thread:

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=103&page=1

nasaroc

26-07-2009 10:32 AM

Yes trains will continue to run to LB after the ELL arrives but all eyes will be on the new Southern timetable when it appears.

Already we know that it's not all good news.

Southern has just announced that trains to and from Charing Cross will be axed in December - all trains will start and terminate at LB. So no more direct late night trains back from the heart of the West End.

Also it looks likely that although peak trains to and from LB will continue to be 6 trains per hour, off peak services will be cut from the current 6 trains per hour to 4 trains per hour later in the year. Doesn't sound too bad until you realise that many commuters especially in the evening, travel on "either side" of the rush hour, before 5pm and after 7pm. Their service - and the one to and from LB during the day - looks as if it will run with one third fewer trains.

Meanwhile the delays over the introduction of Oystercard on suburban stations such as ours drags on. Once again the introduction of OC on our line (promised in September) has been postponed. Early next year may be the best hope we have of seeing an introduction of this much needed upgrade in ticketing.

michael

26-07-2009 03:52 PM

I have posted a letter from the Forest Hill Society to Southern Railways complaining about the loss of the Charing Cross services. You can read it at http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2009/07...vices.html

junegapi

26-07-2009 07:09 PM

Oyster Card type gates. I've just been from Waterloo to Havant with SW Trains. All stations have Oyster style gates, so there is no excuse for Southern not to have installed them already.

Gaz

27-07-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:
I have posted a letter from the Forest Hill Society to Southern Railways complaining about the loss of the Charing Cross services.

Thanks for posting the letter, Michael. It is very concerning to hear we may lose those services. Even more so as the current late-evening trains, once at LB, are so heavily oversubscribed to the point that sometimes people can't get on.

Please keep us updated with any news or with anything we commuters can do to help lobby against this decision.

Ghis

27-07-2009 08:11 AM

I use the direct service everyday in the evening. If there is more we can do, (petition, send more letters), let us know.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,208 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,890 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,791 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 9,024 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,304 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,429 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,825 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham