SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (70): « First < Previous 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 Next > Last »
Trains to/from Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park
Perryman

23-02-2009 02:02 PM

Is it established fact that FH will be part of Thameslink?
And all the stations to LB would be part of Thameslink too?
(Or will the trains just stop at FH then return to the fast track?
Or perhaps we'll get our fast track platform back again.)

It all seems unlikely to me.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nasaroc

23-02-2009 02:36 PM

The idea from 2015 is for that perhaps two trains per hour along our line which currently terminate at LB will continue along the updated Thameslink line from LB. These trains will use the "slow" outer rails only.They will call at all stations - sorry Perryman, there won't be a special service diverting from the fast rails for FH passengers only!

I remain very hopeful that we will increase the number of Charing Cross trains when the new franchise takes over in September. Certainly, that was the hope of the Network Rail negotiators. Let us wait and see.

Back to the closed off gate.

Southern established a clear and unambiguous agreement with our MP and LBL Mayor to keep this gate open. Since then, almost every leaflet coming through my door from Jim Dowd and the Mayor explain the part that the Mayor and Jim D played in "keeping our stations open" (and good luck to them - exactly the sort of issues where we need our elected representatives).

But having confirmed a very public agreement with Southern, this agreement can't simply now be torn up and thrown away.

ambient
No longer registered

23-02-2009 05:54 PM

Michael's analysis of the South London Rail Utilisation Strategy in April last year shows a plan of 4tph (out of a total of 6tph going to LB) operating on the Thameslink to route to St Pancras and beyond - see here: http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php...61#pid6661

Of course, the RUS is just a plan, but it is the signed-off agreed plan for the next 6 years for our station/line and some of the Thameslink building work has already started. So, PerryMan, I share your suspicion that it'll change, but I guess if its the published plan you have to go with that *until* it changes? *shrug*

Perryman

24-02-2009 03:33 AM

OK, my scepticism was because I felt it unlikely Brighton commuters would happily add another 20mins (?) to their journey times to pick up the urban riff-raff.

However, in a Q&A pdf doc I see that these thameslink trains will actually be starting in the Croydon area.
linky

Since this could well be (another) West Croydon service rather than East, it is not necessarily thameslink as we know it (East Croydon/Gatwick/Brighton), but it should offer popular direct access to destinations to the North (KingsX, Luton..... not forgetting London Bridge!).

Ghis

26-02-2009 12:39 AM

I am getting very annoyed with the amount of trespassers on the line we have had recently. I know a woman has been threatening to kill herself on a few occasions recently between Charing Cross and London Bridge (including outside my other half's office window which overlooks the tracks and then once they had switched off the power on the line to try to catch her, she proceeded to slash herself with a knife while running away from police). I am wondering if this is the same person creating all this havoc or more people walking along the tracks. In any case somebody really needs to help this person and let's hope the trepassers tendancy stops as I have had enought to have my journey home doubled. I already work very long hours and could do with getting home in the usual 1h journey instead of 2h.

boxhill

26-02-2009 10:27 AM

Yes, thanks to the trespasser last night, my usual 1 hour journey home took 2.5 hours (via east dulwich and bus), after getting stuck standing on the 6.20pm which made it less than 5 mins out of L bridge before stopping for 45 minutes.

Would be useful if Southern could keep commuters better informed, as the next train i sat on for another half hour before it was eventually cancelled. Frustrating!

ringingcod

26-02-2009 10:57 AM

While you can't, on the surface, blame Southern for trespassers on the line, you have to question the wisdom of running empty trains when services are already backed up. Last night I was sat on the 1834 from LB, which was delayed due to the above incident. After 20 mins or so the announcement was made that the train was now running only to West Croydon. So a packed trainload of commuters were dumped on the platform at LB, and station that was already rammed cos of the problems. So 2 questions:

1) Did this happen because by running the train straight thru it would get to WC on time and therefore not affect service reliability stats? If so, it's a disgrace.

2) Did this happen because these decisions are made in an office miles away from the event, so the person making that decision has no idea of the practical impact? If so, they need to make their staff travel in the rush hour for a few weeks so they will make practical, rather than theoretical, decisions.

Cidered

26-02-2009 11:50 AM

Inspired by three nights of train delays in the last two weeks I think I've finally found the best (or least worst) route from London Bridge to Honor Oak and Forest Hill when trains down our way aren't working.

The winner is...train to North Dulwich and then the P4 bus from there*.

Any other suggestions?

*Obviously doesn't work so well when the whole of LB Station is shut down as it was one night last week

SophieBee

26-02-2009 12:04 PM

My alternate route is to go to Ladywell or Catford Bridge - these trains are usually platform 3-ish I think, that end of the station anyway. The 122, which goes to both HOP and FH, runs past Ladywell station and you can get a couple of buses from Catford Bridge (185 and 171 if I remember correctly, so both HOP and FH are covered).

It's also not a bad walk if you live within a reasonable distance...

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Perryman

26-02-2009 12:29 PM

Perhaps that could be Southern's slogan:

"It's also not a bad walk if you live within a reasonable distance..."

ringingcod

26-02-2009 12:30 PM

For Honor Oak, the Southeastern to New Cross then the 171/172 works.

Alternatively few drinks and a curry round London Bridge until they've sorted themselves out works wonders...

se23northener

26-02-2009 01:13 PM

I've also used Peckham Rye then the 63/363/343

mljay

26-02-2009 05:18 PM

Blackfriars (no tube at present)/ Elephant & Castle (Bakerloo line) to Crofton Park - not a long walk at all from Crofton Park to HOP.

blushingsnail

02-03-2009 05:01 PM

Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th March 2009

No trains at all on the FH line this weekend. Rail replacement bus service instead.

Tinkerbell

02-03-2009 07:21 PM

Oh ****. Cursing

michael

11-03-2009 11:55 PM

From the Southern Website:

Quote:
We would like to apologise to you for the disruption to Southern train services on Monday 2nd and Tuesday 3rd February, which was caused by snow and ice.

On Monday we were only able to run a fraction of our normal service with some very long delays. On Tuesday some lines had no service at all and although we managed to run more trains than on Monday, the service fell short of our normal timetabled service.

If you decided not to travel on one or both days, you may receive a full refund of the cost of your ticket. If you travelled with single or return tickets, you can claim a 50% refund for a one hour delay or a 100% refund for a two hour or more delay. Season ticket holders can reclaim the value of two days travel within 28 days of the date when the ticket expires.

Further details from the website: http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=646

Can somebody remind me at the end of the year?

BarCar

23-04-2009 08:10 AM

Some East London Line Phase 2 related news (impacting on services into Victoria): http://londonreconnections.blogspot.com/...toria.html

michael

23-04-2009 11:52 AM

Real shame that Shoreditch High Street will be a Zone 1 station. That would have really helped switch people to ELL. Now the services to London Bridge will be that little bit more crowded.

Gaz

23-04-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:
Further details from the website: http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=646

Can somebody remind me at the end of the year?

Michael, Southern have announced that you can apply for a refund now rather than wait till the end of the year. The above link has been updated.

One thing I'm not sure about though is whether the refund is only for Southern Season Tickets or whether I can claim anything back on my Travelcard 1-3 Season Ticket - anyone know?

blushingsnail

29-04-2009 02:53 PM

Saturday 2 May & Sunday 3 May 2009

No trains at all along the Forest Hill line on Saturday and Sunday. Replacement bus service instead - see notice at station (details don't appear to be on Southern's website).

Monday 4 May (Bank Holiday) will have a Sunday service.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  South Eastern trains from Forest Hill nottinghillbilly 14 8,198 14-06-2022 09:01 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  No trains this weekend from Forest Hill hillview 0 2,888 16-06-2017 12:14 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Speed of cars from Honor Oak Park/Forest Hill road - does it bother anyone? paddygirl 15 19,745 16-03-2013 10:48 AM
Last Post: daveherne
  Planting at Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Stations - 20th October michael 6 9,021 15-10-2012 09:00 PM
Last Post: Anotherjohn
  Move to Forest Hill or Honor Oak Park? ourkid025 14 29,275 14-11-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: rmurraywest
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,423 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park Secrets Cellar Door 4 8,811 23-01-2008 05:34 PM
Last Post: billham