SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Do burglers ever get caught?
SpringCat

17-11-2010 04:38 PM

Since the burglary at my home 8 weeks ago, I have not heard anything from the various organisations involved. No news of any arrest, no news of recovered property.
Has anybody else in the ward been luckier? Do Pawnbroker in the area really check any list of stolen goods, when they receive property sold to them? What about scrap gold companies?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

17-11-2010 07:59 PM

Springcat
Interesting question .
I would also add if they are caught do they get properly punished.

Snazy

17-11-2010 08:21 PM

I think you are unlikely to be kept up to speed on the progress of the case, only likely to be informed if your property is recovered.
Given that a lot is sold on through middle men rather than through shops and organizations, a lot just disappears for a nominal value. Thumbdown

I'm quite sure the arrest figures are a bit complex, and the charges made are more likely to relate to burglary, rather than be direct caught in the act. The law is a bit misty sadly.

I would guess most people are charged for going equipped or handling stolen goods, rather than actual burglary.

As for punishment, i think we all know the answer to that one. Angry

DerbyHillTop

17-11-2010 11:18 PM

I recently received a letter from the police saying that they will not investigate further instance of someone relieving me of my wallet. The fact that it happened in a shop with CCTV inside, and only small time frame to look at the footage, is not enough evidence.
The reaction from the shop staff told me that they have witnessed other people being robbed in their shop and they did not intervene. Their policy is to offer CCTV footage only on police request. So to me this all seems to be an exercise to get a crime number so that one can claim on the insurance.

SpringCat

18-11-2010 09:14 AM

Yes you are right. What about the punishment? They just get a slap on their wrists and a ticket to the Bahamas for holidays!
Shame a lot of people are loosing family heirlooms through burglaries and both the government or other bodies are not bothered, unless is one of them, then all up in arms. In that case they are able to find both stolen property and the responsibles for the crime.
Gordon Brown sold the nation gold for pittance, the burglars are depriving us of the rest.
Apparently the insurance companies take possession of the goods once they are found and no one knows where they go. i was told there are auctions on goods recovered, but where are they held?

ryananglem

18-11-2010 09:15 AM

I was burgled a couple of years back, and my house was ransacked while I was away on holiday. The police had forensics come around, but the sneaky b****rs used gloves and only took what they could carry.

They gave me a number of a crime prevention officer who came around and offered some good advice on what I could do to secure my property better.

About a week later they did however link my case to another one and made an arrest. The chappie was a known crim so, you would be happy to hear brian, that they locked him up.

The victim support officer who rang me up to tell me was very pleased with himself when he contacted me as he said that they rarely get to report good news.

SpringCat

18-11-2010 09:29 AM

you give me hopes that they will catch them somehow. It was the same for us, they came around and took forensic, found some finger prints, but none they knew. The local offcer adviced us on few security aspect, like growing pyracanthea/thorned roses plants next to the fences( how long a plant like that takes to become an obstacle for burglars?). Apart from that they concluded the house was very secure to start with and we were just unlucky.

Londondrz

18-11-2010 10:40 AM

Problem with thorn bushes is if they do snag a burglar you are looking to get sued.

SpringCat

18-11-2010 10:55 AM

that will be the day!

shzl400

18-11-2010 12:31 PM
BT

18-11-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:
pyracanthea

They do grow quite quickly. If you planted some 12" cuttings they would be 3/4 feet high within a year, and can grow very high. I have a 10 foot high one growing up the wall of my house. They have masses of white flowers in the spring and are covered with red/orange/yellow berries all through the winter. The birds love them especially when there's not much food about in the winter.
And they are VERY prickly - I wouldn't like to try to get through them - and you can trim them to form a hedge.

brian

18-11-2010 01:23 PM

Yes Police do seem fixated with paperwork and so called human rights.
Few are caught but when they are they should receive a severe punishment.

Seems they have the same problem as The Royal Navy who seem reluctant to shoot Somalian criminals on the high seas. What would Drake , Hawkins and Nelson say , they would turn in their graves.

ForestHillier

18-11-2010 01:27 PM

Was Drake not a pirate at one time in his life

I seem to recall a thread a few mpnths ago when the Con/Dems were talking about not putting so many people in prison, some on this forum [ none of the people I may add who have written on this thread ] thought it was a good idea !!!

brian

18-11-2010 02:14 PM

Yes not happy with the Minister for Justice.
Certainly burglers should be imprisoned.

SpringCat

18-11-2010 02:37 PM

If K Clarke were burgled he would change his mind where to put criminals.

SpringCat

18-11-2010 04:11 PM

tried that, nothing of mine.
I think it is crazy that they dont' look for the owners. At the end of the day there are many people who benefit from your burglary, the insurance company, the bumblebee auctions, the burglar and whoever buy or are gifted stolen goods.
If I were their mother I would pefer to die rather than having my son/daughter coming home with staff belonging to other people.
We pay out all these taxes for nothing, just to protect criminals better than ourselves.

SpringCat

18-11-2010 04:28 PM

Does anybody know who is the councillor for the Horniman triangle?
At least if I write to him about my case and how the investigation has been carriedo out so far, something will come out of it.

michael

18-11-2010 04:36 PM

the three councillors contact details are listed on http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/CouncilAndDem...ForestHill

SpringCat

18-11-2010 05:49 PM

thank you.
The police closed the case without even a word.

brian

20-11-2010 03:36 PM

I feel very sorry for you.
All burgleries ought to be persued and criminals severly punishment. Must be terrible to have this happen.
Trouble is the criminals seem to have more human rights than the law abiding tax payer .
How can case be closed if no one is caught , prosecuted and locked away.

Very best wishes to you.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields