SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Bar Equal
Sherwood

25-01-2008 09:33 PM

Ana,

I am sorry to hear this. It is good that you have other interests.

This seems to be a general feature with landlords constantly increasing the rents often beyond what sopkeepers acan pay.

Find all posts by this user
simonj

26-01-2008 09:49 AM

I have to say I am gutted - I really enjoyed the relaxed feel of Bar Equal and hope that another bar opens here soon. We really need more of these things to open in HOP not close the only good ones.

hopper

26-01-2008 10:28 AM

This is awful - I'm really sorry to hear that life is being made difficult for business owners in the area. What are the landlords playing at? Would they rather have shops empty for months like the old fireplace shop? I can't help agreeing that there is some sort of agenda.

simonj

26-01-2008 10:40 AM

An agenda to turn many of the shops to housing would kill the area - are they really that short sighted and stupid?!

If they try it I will be very proactive in voicing my objections - we may need to pull together on this one people. God I sound a bit Citizen Smith there, we may have to start up the Honor Oak Popular Front!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Citizen_smith.jpg

what a legend!!

BarCar

26-01-2008 11:33 AM

The florists on HOP is still closed this morning with Wilmotts repossession notices in the window. So I guess that's another local business they've done for.

hopper

26-01-2008 12:10 PM

I've emailed my local councillors to ask them to look into what's going on. I don't know how much good it will do but it's got to be worth a try.

If anyone else wants to do the same you can find contact details here:

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/CouncilAndDem...uncillors/

Might be worth flagging up to the Mercury as well.

Redalways

26-01-2008 12:25 PM

hopper wrote:
I've emailed my local councillors to ask them to look into what's going on. I don't know how much good it will do but it's got to be worth a try.

If anyone else wants to do the same you can find contact details here:

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/CouncilAndDem...uncillors/

Might be worth flagging up to the Mercury as well.

This is a disgrace.

We should run Wilmotts out of town (i know that they are simply the Agents, butthey must also be advising the freeholder on a long term strategy). HOP was beginning to look good, it would be a disaster if we have more empty shops with a view to converting them to residential . Those that also believe this would be a disaster should lobby their councillors to make sure that the council does not giv e any planning permission for change of use.

I know that Ana in particular was part of the regeneration. We will miss her.

BarCar

26-01-2008 12:27 PM

I've also emailed councillors (Crofton Park ward) and the South London Press news desk (newsdesk@slp.co.uk).

simonj

26-01-2008 12:38 PM

me too.

BarCar

26-01-2008 12:38 PM

BarCar wrote:
I've also emailed councillors (Crofton Park ward) and the South London Press news desk (newsdesk@slp.co.uk).

According to the Wilmotts website their contact for Commercial Property Management is Peter Roberts at p.roberts@willmotts.com. I have also written to him to ask him what is going and. I also invited him to contribute here.

Ghis

26-01-2008 12:40 PM

I will write to the councillors too as soon as I have more details about what is going on.

hoppy

26-01-2008 01:19 PM

We all need to get behind this I reckon. Getting ridiculous

Sorry to see Ana go, thanks for everything you've done for the area.

lillam

26-01-2008 01:33 PM

Thumbdown bad news.

Add my respects to Ana - I remember when Bar Equal opened up - it was a brave move at the time...

Perhaps the people at For YOur Eyes Only would want to take over VisualEyes as an onoging concern?

LIkewise, a shame about the florist. It's tough out there.

I know the guy at the deli is hanging in there through sheer willpower alone...

lillam

26-01-2008 01:38 PM

Isnt Jim Dowd (MP for Lewisham West) head of the small-businesses-something-or-other? Probably he is a good person to get in touch with...

hopper

26-01-2008 01:42 PM

I'm very sorry that Ana's leaving.

I find it hard to believe that there's not a market for shops here though. Jumping Bean seems to be really thriving - it's always busy when I go in there. And Visual Eyes always seemed to be doing well.

I think it must have something to do with the demands of landlords, rather than terrible business conditions. The shops along Brockley Rise don't seem to have the same difficulties.

And we've all seen the hordes that get out at the train station - there are obviously customers around.

Talking of which, the chap who sells papers in the station is looking for a pub to buy with a partner - he was talking about one in East Dulwich recently. I'll mention Bar Equal next time I see him.

hopper

26-01-2008 02:06 PM

One more thing - just been into one of the shops (don't want to say which in case I get the owner in trouble) and the owner said the whole parade on HOP is owned by the same landlord - is this right? He says there's been a rent increase and it's making life very difficult for them.

bigbadwolf

26-01-2008 03:49 PM

hopper you are correct. My father has a shop on the parade.

BT

26-01-2008 05:49 PM

This seems to be happening all over. My niece had a very successful Coffee shop in Aberystwyth and was forced to shut down as the Landlord wanted to treble her rent, which was just not economical for her.

simonj

26-01-2008 06:31 PM

I have heard that the owner has died and his family are now in the process of selling it all off. Still not sure though whey they would want to drive out the businesses unless selling a property with an active business is undesirable.

Sherwood

27-01-2008 03:21 PM

One of my ex local shopkeepers told me he was giving up because the landlord was trying to increase his rent to a level he could not afford.

Shops actually are more valuable when converted to residential properties.

For example you may be able to buy a sop for ?100,000 covert it to 3 flats and sell each one for ?100,000.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields