SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Decent debate wanted
baggydave

21-01-2008 09:30 PM

I am sure that I ordered a half an hour argument

No you didn't

Yes you did

(fill in the missing Monty Python Sketch)

Why is this site now being saturated with people wanting recommendations for trades people? Ah Thatcher (an early Ben Elton sketch where he was pretending to be comparing a teen yoof programme - can anyone recall what that was?).

Any other views on why the sudden surge in such threads? As per ever BD recommends the posh estate's list of trades people http://www.tewkesburylodge.org.uk/pdf/tr...y_2005.pdf

You can also do a google. Finally you could try the posh magazines - although from personal experience they are only interested in jobs in five figures.

BD - what an enigma

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mandy_playbox

21-01-2008 11:04 PM

Wasn't it the Young Ones? The Ben Elton thing I mean.

BarCar

22-01-2008 02:21 PM

baggydave wrote:
Why is this site now being saturated with people wanting recommendations for trades people?

I'd offer you the any of the following (all of which apply to me):

• Because a new year, along with reminding people how much weight they put on eating Quality Street for most of December, also reminds them to sort out household maintenance projects that have been hanging around.
  • Because some people are new to the area and don't know any reliable local tradespeople.
  • Because some people put value in personal recommendation from recent customers.
  • Because asking for recommendations encourages support of reliable local businesses which often thrive on word of mouth.
That's not to say that meaty debate on issues of the day should cease just because I need to sort out some rising damp but I'd hope they could happily co-exist on the forum.

michael

22-01-2008 04:43 PM

BarCar wrote:
That's not to say that meaty debate on issues of the day should cease just because I need to sort out some rising damp but I'd hope they could happily co-exist on the forum.

And not everybody is interested in discussing Arthur Scargill, 70s punk music, or ethics of animal slaughter (that was a meaty debate). I think the real problem is that BD, TJ, and Oomperloomper have run our of controversial things to say and are being too polite to each other. I blame smiley faces for the lack of misunderstanding that is becoming all too prevalent on the forum.

steveb

22-01-2008 06:00 PM

Still, the list of trades people is useful: I now know where to get my chandeliers fixed.

baggydave

22-01-2008 08:37 PM

Miaowww Michael. Although I agree that there is only a certain amount of taunting one can do about the umm pleasures of living in the London Borough of Bromley. But, prey, as the Scargill/Thatcher confrontation influenced the continuing face of British politics, only too important that many of the youngsters who post know a little more (beyond the collective right wing memory). Any what is this about punk? Beyond the occasional link to youtube and misquoted lyric, little I have posted. The last thread was a happy birthday punk rock I did yonks ago. I also note that you, Michael, seemed to be the main person who lamented the loss of my special pub thread, an even started a new one. Immitation, what flattery!

Well I am now off to light some non smokeless fuel (does anyone know any coal merchants left in South London?). I have to import mine from the Midlands, or even mine mine in the Midlands (oh I can't as all the pits have closed). There is two, even three threads for discussion there.

Interesting facts# 98 Leffe, which pretends to be an original trappist Belgium beer, is made by the worlds biggest brewer, interbev/brew. Try Mr Lawrence's if you want a real choice. What to you think TJ? Whoops I slipped into that trap.

And finally Michael, please don't label me with Ooperlooper - now he/she is really off the wall.

BD - he has real soul

BarCar

22-01-2008 10:06 PM

baggydave wrote:
Does anyone know any coal merchants left in South London?

Shannon's Garden Centre on Malham Road sell house coal. Wink

roz

23-01-2008 06:36 PM

I wouldn't have thought it hard to get a debate going - take a leaf out of the book from some other posters who have no problem in picking an argument over very little. I like to imagine that they have huge rows with their reflection every morning.

There are various ways of instigating debate;
one is to say something completely controversial and act as devils advocate, a little bit naughty as it sometimes involves deliberately and knowingly winding someone up;
the other is to set something up more formally a la debating societies, ie this house believes blah, blah and blah, etc etc etc. As you can see I'm doing the English language proud here, but hopefully someone can fill in the gaps.....

'Debating' however is both an art and a skill that is rarely found these days as personally I find that people have too little time to spend sitting discussing things with other people and too often promising starts end in petty bickering a al Hilary and Barack . However a good debate is very challenging and makes the most of the very underutilised English Language. And as we know, language = power. Are there any debating societies in existence outside the Oxford Union?

shzl400

24-01-2008 11:24 AM

Yes, the Cambridge Union!

bigbadwolf

24-01-2008 12:00 PM

BD

Why don't you just go round your mates and have your debate/conversation with them. I don't know about anyone else but I prefer to be face to face on those occasions. A smoke usually helps too.

baggydave

29-01-2008 11:10 PM

Bigbadwolf

Do you think with my views I have any friends? Anyway can't smoke anymore as not allowed in pubs, and too cold outside, and certainly wont find me standing next to an evil patio heater.

BD - living in his own vitual world

(and in case you hadn't noticed, I was making a point about this site turning into recommendations one, although I am pleased with my unisex haircut, but looking at the rubbish (imho) extensions certainly would not employ a local architect.

PPS, amused by the comment of arguing with my refelction, which I doubt was aimed at me, but some of you reactionary lot out there (that's why you never see a nibble in the Daily Express), my reflection couldn't agree with me more.

PVP

30-01-2008 09:57 AM

BD - do you have an avatar a la second life, etc? If so, please show us.

baggydave

31-01-2008 11:20 PM

Wot?
Que??

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields