SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Our local football teams
baggydave

31-10-2010 10:46 AM

Love the thread on Millwall fans. Just shows how non inclusive many posters are on this site.

They are our local team. Many people in SE23 support them. Go into the only decent pub in Forest Hill (BHT) on a Satruday evening and you can have a good craic with some of the Millwall fans.

Unlike ManU and Arsenal, which no doubt many of you follow, there is also a passionate atmosphere at the Den, one of the finest small grounds in the country.

Now by all means debate the unsavoury aspect of tribalism (and please title the thread accordingly). And there are pubs in Bermondsey I would not dream of going, unlike South Norwood.

Shame on you! (No one likes me I don't care).

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

31-10-2010 01:18 PM

I would agree with B D that it is much better to support a local side , however bad , than a North London or Manchunian side.

I do how beg to differ on his choice as having lived in Syd and FH all my life , I like many others , support the good old Glaziers . I know they are not doing to well but our side.

Surely BD you should be supporting a certain Black Country side and no do not mean Wolverhampton Wanderers.

baggydave

31-10-2010 04:23 PM

Surely you cannot support the Glaziers Brian as thanks to the late Malcolm Alison they no longer exist! And in any case you should have noticed that there was a subtle reference to the friendliness of our other team.

And any team that decides to move South over the river, unlike Wimbledon and Woolwich Arsenal who went the other way, deserves a special mention.

Me, I'm with Shadwell. I thought that you'd be with Gills now Brian, but let's face it I doubt whether anyone else is interested in our old school discussion!

brian

31-10-2010 04:32 PM

Great to have you back BD with or without the MP Tavern. Only went there once about 74 but recall it as a very friendly local next to graveyard.

They will always be Glaziers to me as went to first match in 58 well before they chnaged the nickname.
Glaziers made sense , what possible connections is there with Eagles.

Your other club doing well in The Premier League

dbboy

31-10-2010 05:40 PM

I always thought the local team was Crystal Palace, even if they are bottom of the Championship right now.

brian

02-11-2010 12:43 PM

I agree 100%. You would hardly aspire to be a Millwall fan I guess. They seem to be The Democartic Republic of North Korea of the football world. I believe the anachist Robert Crowe Esq supports them , what more needs to be said.

I lived in Sydenham as a child and most people there supported The Palace , through thick and thin.

ringingcod

02-11-2010 01:09 PM

thin and thin?????

lillam

07-11-2010 01:36 AM

Id like to support as local a football team to SE23 as possible.

We've got Dulwich Hamlet over in east dulwich, who are a good standard, have their own ground, a great website (the write ups of their games are brilliant), and have a long history
http://www.dulwichhamletfc.co.uk/

Then theres Peckham Town FC who play in a sunday leauge at a ground just on the north side of the south circ adjacent to dulwich park. its free to watch them play, and ive seen a few good games. as well as the seniors the youth teams do really well, and its all by run by some really decent people.
http://www.peckhamtownfootballclub.com/

Thats all i know of. Are there any senior teams that play on the HOP ground? What about the HOP youth teams (i know there is one, but cant remember the name of them now...)

Also, isnt there a pitch down behind crofton park? Im sure ive seen floodlights on there...

any other local football insights?

Poppy9560

07-11-2010 11:29 AM

the pitch befind Crofton Park is actually on Brockley Rise if it's the one I'm thinking of and is the ground for Guys & St Thomas' Hospital - I have send people with hockey sticks going in there

SEN

07-11-2010 10:00 PM

There's also Fisher Athletic, who are sharing Dulwich Hamlet's ground at present, but are in search of one of their own - I work with their Treasurer - see http://www.fisherfc.co.uk

NewForester

08-11-2010 03:28 PM

The most local ground to SE23 would be the Guy's Hospital Athletic Ground, off Brockley Rise where Kenningwell United play.

Other grounds to consider are the sports ground off Rutland Walk where varous clubs play. The Sports and Leisure Club might be able to shed more light on the teams. (Telephone (020) 8291 5551 (SE6 4LG))

There is also the Old Alleynians ground on Dulwich Common

Further afield, AFC Sydenham FC play at Catford Wanderers Football and Cricket Club, Beckenham Hill Road, Entrance to Homebase Store, Beckenham, London SE6 3AE

baggydave

11-11-2010 10:48 PM

Actually Millwall are closer from our north eastern boundary and Palace to South western boundary, or Palace for Forest Hill and Millwall for Honor Oak. It could get very tribal. Just like being at school again when we had similar battles over Ansells and M&B (think Heineken and Kronenberg kids).

Manchester is marginally closer both to FH and to HOP, than Liverpool.

baggydave

11-11-2010 10:50 PM

But of course by overground and underground Upton Park is now probably second closest.

lillam

14-11-2010 10:44 PM

How about our youth teams. I think theres a Hilly Fielders no? And isnt there an Honor Oak kids team? What are they called?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Looking for football players to join our friendly local side... johnedmartin 5 6,359 14-08-2016 09:16 PM
Last Post: Beige