SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (9): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »
Buggy-hating 176 driver
Sherwood

04-11-2010 04:03 PM

The 185 driver last night seemed to hate everybody and everything!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

04-11-2010 07:32 PM

Not an easy job. I find 95% of the drivers do an excellent job in difficult
circumstances.
Not sure what this 185 driver did or said??

mljay

05-11-2010 09:22 AM

everybody has a bad day sometimes

michael

05-11-2010 09:48 AM

I don't think we should judge bus drivers too harshly on the day of a train strike. I can imagine it is not an easy day to be a bus driver (or passenger).

davhel52

08-11-2010 06:16 PM

Roz.The problem has been on-going for some time now.The Lewisham Disability Coalition has frequently made approaches to TFL in a quest to get the problem sorted but so far No luck (Or so I am led to believe)

roz

08-11-2010 08:25 PM

I still think some of those fold up ( or flat pack as I tend to call them) seats at the front of the bus would be a good idea to cater for passengers and also buggies and more wheelchairs.

seeformiles

09-11-2010 12:00 PM

Yes that would be a good idea.

Also just so you don't think I have something particular against buggies - I really don't - just daft/inconsiderate behaviour.
I witnessed the ridiculous scenario on Sunday getting the 23 bus from Paddington to Charing Cross. One man with 4 suitcases was allowed to stack them in the priority seating area at the front of the bus thereby preventing elderly, disabled, and passengers with children from using the space. The driver should never have allowed this either - but like I said before I'm sure they just want an easy life, so rules are not enforced. The man in question seemed to have no shame about it.

rbmartin

09-11-2010 12:04 PM

seeformiles,

I saw a similar incident on the 185 a couple of weeks ago. The tourist couldn't see the luggage rack and put his 4 large suitcases in the disabled space area. Once again, the driver didn't say anything and when a large buggy did come on, he moved the suitcases onto....THE SEATS! Cursing

seeformiles

09-11-2010 12:13 PM

Hi RBMartin,
yes and unfortunately I can't see these problems improving any time soon. My view is that more tourists perhaps need to learn to travel a bit lighter if they expect to use buses at busy times of day - and drivers need to feel confident or motivated enough to apply the rules when desperately needed. But can't see that ever happening.

davhel52

09-11-2010 02:40 PM

Its not the Tourists who are the big problem.The folding Buggy Has either gone out of fashion or mums cant be bothered to fold them.As for big prams and multi tier'd prams space was never supplied/meant for these leviathons.I do feel for mums but common sense must prevail in this case.

gingernuts

09-11-2010 03:19 PM

I may be wrong, but I suspect that modern day buses have been designed specifically with wheelchairs in mind and if it wasnt for the disability act, mothers would be struggling with their giant buggies on Routemasters in the same way the traveller with the large suitcase always did.

Sherwood

09-11-2010 04:00 PM

I think you are right. The space was only included for wheelchair users.

davhel52

09-11-2010 04:10 PM

Then this consensus needs to be conveyed to General Bus users so that they have an overall Idea of the Pros and Cons.

rbmartin

09-11-2010 04:26 PM

Yes, at the time the low floor buses were introduced, they were only promoted for disabled passengers, however parents with buggies soon found they could use that space without folding the buggy up and TfL had to design new signs for buggy users.

That's why I contested the reasons given by some of the parents on why they need that space when every parent used to fold the buggy up on buses in our area as not so long ago as 2000/01.

roz

09-11-2010 04:47 PM

Your're right, its not just tourists that are the problem. The problem is the narrow minded bigots on this forum who don't actually read and digest the information and arguments presented to them on why parents need to access buses, why these so called ' leviathan' multi stacked buggies are necessary for parents ( are we supposed to leave one child alone at home when we go out then/) , and who seem oblivious to any of the presented discussions and legislation on accessibility and equalities. Talk about ' Circle Line'.

I'm sorry, but I for one, and my family, WILL BE getting on the bus, and as far as discussing 'rights', clearly a dirty word in some unreconstructed circles, I will be exercising my childrens rights to access public transport as supported by legislation.
If you don't like it, I couldn't care less, but if you start mouthing off at me or my children, or telling me that your suitcase/shopping/gigantic backside gets priority over them, you will be walking the rest of the way home. Be assured of that.

rbmartin

09-11-2010 04:55 PM

You'll find Roz that bar the buggy bashing, some of us have tried to find solutions to the issues raised, however I get the impression in your little world, it's your way or no way.

Heard of the word compromise? It's something which is lacking in London in general.

gingernuts

09-11-2010 05:00 PM

Does my backside get prioirty over Roz's buggy if I'm before her in the queue? or am I about to be pushed out of the way? How rude.

rbmartin

09-11-2010 05:04 PM

I've seen buggies used as battering rams too. Although the idea of queuing for buses went out a long time ago. It still happens outside London, but we've forgotten the basics.

roz

09-11-2010 05:17 PM

Its good to be rude sometimes. It seems that mothers are just supposed to take all the c**p without challenge and when they dish out the same, its 'rude'.
If you won't listen to reason then 'rude' it will have to be,but hey, I ain't started yet.

davhel52

09-11-2010 05:32 PM

Why not lets have say 1 bus in every 4 without any seats at all.That way TFL can cater for all kinds from fold up Mclarens to 4 maybe 6 Seater prams/Leviathons How on earth do large families manage on the underground/overground without pram space.Surely they dont leave the kids at home? Ah yes buses are short hop arent they? When my son was a baby we always folded up the Buggie before getting on a bus.Saved a lot of aggro.The Larger prams arrived with the Larger spaces on Buses and got bigger and bigger and bigger and, bigger aggro.Same people just Bigger prams (Battering P Rams)
Please excuse my excessive cynicism.This is a site to air ones views isnt it?

Pages (9): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields