SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Burglaries
brian

19-11-2010 03:47 PM

That is amazing if you saw your item at Victoria Station.
I agree one has to be careful as the criminal has more human rights than the law abider in this country now.
Not sure what you could have done.
Should have zero tolerance policy where all crimes are jumped on and sorted and the offenders severly punished.
What right have others , usually societies scroungers , got to your possessions. It is outrageous.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SpringCat

23-11-2010 04:02 PM

that person was coming from a southern eastern destination. If I had stopped her she would have accused me of stalking and god knows what. If I called the police, by the time they arrived, she would have gone. Since then, I have not seen her again.

rafitours

29-11-2010 01:06 PM

Dacres rd
Saturday 27 nov between 6 pm and 9 pm i was the latest victim of a burglary.
police did not bother to show, they only came because we called 100 times. forensic came the following day and it was a waist of time to be honest,

very disappointed. watch for burglers in se23

brian

29-11-2010 01:23 PM

This is very concerning. Which end of Dacres please ?

Are there more criminal events than in last few years. Mainly because the law is so soft on the criminals.

rafitours

29-11-2010 03:22 PM

hello brian near perry vale

take care

brian

29-11-2010 04:34 PM

Hello Rafitours
Thanks , very worrying.

Better reinforce the barbed wire on the back fence.

SpringCat

29-11-2010 05:50 PM

Hello,
so sorry to hear you had this experience. I called the police few weeks ago when my neighbour alarm went off. They told me that unless I had seen the burglar and the burglary in progress they were not coming. The alarm went off for sometime. I told them that I could not see what was going on because I was sick in bed and just heard the alarm goig on incessantly. They did not bother to take any details.
If this is they way they act, how can we win the battle against crime in the area. Of course figures are down, iti is because they do not bother to come and record them.
When I asked about my case's progress, they said it was difficult to find any lead.
The major of Lewisham is arranging prayers for the Lewisham borough, perhaps he should do something to protect us from crime and get the police on their move again.

rafitours

29-11-2010 06:09 PM

thanks for your comments, i hope we can get better police in the area. cheers

BT

29-11-2010 06:30 PM

Just to illustrate the difference in response here in Norwich.

My neighbour across the road had a window in their conservatory door broken by someone throwing a stone through it.

Panda Car turned up with a plain clothes officer followed by a CSI van with two people in it.

DC from the CSI unit knocked on all the local doors including mine to ask if we had seen anything, and they spent probably best part of an hour at the premises.

brian

29-11-2010 06:58 PM

Sounds great in Delia Land.
I am amazed the Police do not follow up all crimes. Mind you it would help if they had more help from the Judges .
One burglery should mean Prison. Seems some crims are doing over 100 and still not always being locked up. Bring back Judge Jeffries.

Poppy9560

29-11-2010 07:47 PM

it isn't the Judges' fault nowadays - they are under massive pressure form the govenment not to sentence people to imprisonment because the prisons are so overcrowded. The government needs to build more prisons but they probably won't in the current economic climate.

Does anyone know why the Forest Hill SNT doesn't post on this forum anymore? They could do a lot to alleviate the concern over crime felt by many people by a visible presence and turning up when people call the police out even if just to provide reassurance - if criminals know they won't turn up there is nothing to stop them committing crime

Ghis

30-11-2010 08:59 AM

There was a burglary at 6:40am this morning in our street In Honor Oak Park, the guy forced the front door of one of our neighbours (PVC door which had not been double locked so they popped it open with a tool going under just one lock). Our neighbour was inside and she disturbed him but he managed to go away with a laptop, some other goods and her car keys. The police was here at 7am and has now talked to all the neighbours. They said that there has been a increase of burglaries due to a lot of people being recently released from prison for good behaviour (his words). From now on we will double lock at all times (we always double lock at night and when we are not in but now will do 24/7)

SO ALWAYS DOUBLE LOCK YOUR DOOR EVEN WHEN INSIDE!

ForestHillier

30-11-2010 10:27 AM

Ghis - sorry to hear about these problems in your neck of the woods, however I can only see it getting worse as did the Con/Dems not say that they now wish not to put so many people in prison if they commit petty crimes, they will include burgaries as petty crime I believe, so blame the current Government - I go along with Brian, if you get caught commiting crime, then you should be prepared to pay the penalty and be punished, I od know there are a few people in SE23 who think otherwise, yet when they have been the victims, they may well change their tune

brian

30-11-2010 12:25 PM

Let out for good behaviour .

That says it all.

XFH

01-01-2011 11:56 AM

To all of you who have been robbed recently. Beware of repeat burglaries. I lived in Forest Hill for a long time and was burgled in Autumn 1990 and then again 6 months later in 1991. I was a little suspicious when I kept getting phone calls late in the evening (up till midnight) which were wrong numbers (Always women and children). I got stuck at work one night and didn't get back till 11pm. I think that I disturbed them as they had moved stuff close to the patio door, which they had forced, but they were gone. I believe that the burglars made a note of the phone number which was on the phone as I was ex-directory, but could just as easily have been taken from a phone bill.

Apparently it is a well known tactic to return after about 6 months which gives you time to replace the stuff that they stole the first time.
If you do keep getting wrong numbers, check the 1471 and record the number if there is one. I would be suspicious if there isn't. I don't think most people would hide their number if they were calling a friend or if they were children. If you do get burgled and you have the numbers of any wrong number callers, perhaps they could be of use to the police.

SpringCat

03-01-2011 05:19 PM

thank you. We are keeping an eye on everything happening in the neighboroughood.
The police never came back to us to report any development of the case and were rather annoyed when I called to see ho things were developing. Has anybody seen any recent report from the police in Forest Hill on burglaries?
We heard many alarms going off recently in the Horniman area. Anybody unlucky? Also there were many police cars this mornign running up and down the area. Anything happening?
We are very disappointed that the police still have not managed to get anybody for our burglary and nothing has been recovered. We are still waiting for the insurance to resolve the matter.
Also the pawnbrokers in the forest hill area and sydenham ar every unhelpful.

ruthb

03-01-2011 07:08 PM

Ghis, are you in the 30's roads by HOP station (Riseldine, Tatnell, Parbury etc)? My OH is always on at me to double lock the porch door but I will definitely do so now when inside too.

Ghis

04-01-2011 10:38 AM

No we are further, near Blythe Hill, but I would advise everyone to double lock their front door at all times now. We were all surprised by the audacity of it as our front doors are very visible from the road without bushes, hedges or other trees allowing people to hide while breaking in. How did they know to try that front door? Also many people including me walk to the station at the time and could have been witneses so all very strange.

roz

04-01-2011 04:40 PM

I just think burglars and other con people are brazen and confident and rely on not being challenged. I once heard a story of someone being robbed in their flat when they were at home( not Forest Hill); the burglars broke in during the day, totally ignored the resident, and just took the TV and other stuff before closing the door behind them. Probably just as well for the resident but particularly unnerving. I also years ago lived in a student flat when two men walked in and unplugged the TV and took it away whilst my flatmates were sitting watching it, thinking that they were repair men of some kind. Another flatmate held the door open for them on their way out.
Unfortunately I also watched some burglars take stuff out of a house across the road some years ago during the day not realising I was watching a robbery. It just looked as if someone was moving out.

The best protection I think is to know and be known by your neighbours so that anything unusual registers more easily and that they feel ok about calling the police if something out of the ordinary happens. Good neighbourly relationships always go a long way and benefit all parties and interested interference is probably the best defence against random opportunists or planned burglary. I would also be careful about all of these mystery callers who claim to be selling something but instead may be casing your joint.

brian

04-01-2011 04:44 PM

Very worrying Roz.
The best protection as well as being known to your neighbours is the knowledge that the small percentage who get caught get many years in Her Majesties custody.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields