SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Blackheath Fireworks
NewForester

18-10-2010 02:34 PM

Following Greenwich's withdrawal, Lewisham are busy appealing for the public to contribute towards Blackheath Fireworks display on 6th November. If you like the display, make a donation (details of how are on their website). In addition, Lewisham are auctioning off the right to press the button

Lewisham wrote:
Lewisham Council is aiming to boost its public appeal for donations towards this year’s Blackheath fireworks on 6 November by offering the chance to bid on eBay (from 7pm Thursday) for a VIP night out at South London’s largest firework display. The VIP package includes the privilege of starting the firework display itself.

Blackheath fireworks has established itself as one of the biggest, best, and most popular free fireworks displays in the capital. Last year some 80,000 people flocked to the historic heath to see a stunning display. However, this year’s £36,000 shortfall in funding saw Lewisham Council launch a public appeal for donations on 14 September. So far, almost £11,500 has been raised through public donation and through local Blackheath businesses such as Glendale and The Clarendon Hotel, as well as restaurants Chapters, Bella Vista and Everest Inn. Once again this year the event will also be generously backed by independent fund management company GLC Ltd, who have been involved with the Blackheath Fireworks display since 1994.

Council funding for events like this has come under intense pressure as Government cuts begin to bite. But Lewisham Council is keen to give those who value the event the chance to play their part in keeping it going. As a result, in addition to the public appeal for donations, Lewisham Council has put together a VIP package that will go to the highest bidder.

The successful bidder will not only win the chance to launch the firework display but a VIP package that includes:

* access for up to 10 people to an exclusive VIP viewing area for the duration of the display
* a private tour of the firing zone by experts from Pains Fireworks where all the fireworks will be laid out ready to fire (the tour will take place at 6pm, 2 hours before the display itself)
* VIP parking for 3 cars in the very heart of the event
* 10 meal vouchers from the Fine Food Company
* 10 drink vouchers to be used at any of the mobile bar units supplied by Creative Bars
* 10 hot chocolate vouchers supplied by Jaz and Jules
* Glo sticks for the whole party provided by Limelight Entertainment Ltd

The eBay auction will start at 7pm on Thursday 21 October with a starting price of just 99p. Bidding will continue until 7pm on Sunday 31 October.

To bid go to http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/fireworks and follow the link (the link will only be live during the auction period).

This year’s Blackheath firework display will take place at 8pm on Saturday 6 November.

Ends

For more information contact:
Gavin Jones, Media Office, Lewisham Council
020 8314 6082
gavin.jones@lewisham.gov.uk

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

18-10-2010 11:24 PM

Would be a shame to lose such an event.

roz

19-10-2010 06:28 PM

It would but to be honest, most of us seem set to lose a whole lot more essential things tomorrow in the spending review so unfortunately I won't be contributing financially to this event as I have other spending priorities of my own.
Take heart that there may be further bonfires to go to this winter - ie people burning firewood and their belongings to keep warm. I kid ye not.

brian

20-10-2010 08:11 AM

I agree Lewisham should save the money.
I think also so many people nowadays have no idea why our ancestors celebrated Guy Fawkes night for over 400 years. Seems down to our so called history teaching at schools. They probably think GF was a Viking.

ForestHillier

20-10-2010 08:18 AM

Was it not a catholic plot to get the a catholic king back on the thrown of england ?

michael

20-10-2010 08:59 AM

Well Greenwich council has saved money by not funding the fireworks, but they will still be allowed to attend the event for free. Lewisham should move the fireworks to somewhere more central for their population rather than Greenwich's population.

The least they could do is subsidise entry for Lewisham residents wishing to attend the fireworks at Crystal Palace which is well served by buses and trains from west Lewisham.

Elizabeth25

20-10-2010 12:17 PM

Yes, I was about to say, the Evening Standard listed the Crystal Palace fireworks in the paper yesterday. It's easier to get to for FH people and they have a children's display at 7:00 pm.

Elizabeth25

20-10-2010 06:05 PM

I thought I should include the link to the fireworks mentioned above.

http://www.crystalpalacefireworks.webeden.co.uk

wayfarer

21-10-2010 12:03 PM

Having enjoyed this free event for the last few years, I will gladly be donating to the cause. The same way that I would have made a donation on the "door" had it been requested.

The display has always been fantastic, and a credit to the organiser. I hope it is able to keep going for a few more years yet.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields