SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
university fees - how to avoid
ForestHillier

15-10-2010 02:10 PM

Mljay- please accept my apologies as I did not welcome you to UK, not sure how long you have resided here, however, welcome and hope you are enjoying living/working here, its good to know that some overseas students are learning, then getting the good jobs and helping the uk economy and society become a better place to live

I still dis-agree with some of your views

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mljay

15-10-2010 03:14 PM

ForestHillier - thank you for your welcome. I have been here about 19 years now, which obviously means I love living and working here.

shzl400

15-10-2010 10:03 PM

I feel that it all went wrong when polys became universities. No disrespect, my OH is the product of a poly.

Polys provided qualifications including, but not limited to, degrees particularly in vocational subjects. Universities tended to stick to the "straight" academic subjects.

The position as a result is that the former polys are now regarded as offering "mickey mouse" degrees, whereas before they provided a highly respected vocational qualifications. And no disrespect to those who sit them either - I've seen how much hard work some students put into these things (certainly more than I did).

And it's not just about affordability. There seems to be some sort of academic arms race going on - not sure if it is dumbing down of A levels or students realising they have to work even harder just to stand still.

While I would say that university places should go to the most able students rather than just those who can afford it, I have seen people get very good qualifications by a lot of perspiration and not much inspiration.

University, particularly where students are looking at post-graduate work, is all about inspiration, whereas just getting a qualification can be done with perspiration. Discuss.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  England v Rest Of The UK Fees ForestHillier 16 14,279 13-03-2011 08:09 PM
Last Post: robin orton