SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] Last »
Family Allowance Cuts
Baboonery

15-10-2010 07:35 PM

You have my symphathy Mr Baboonery , you obvioulsy have a troubled life but I will not insult you but just wish you all the best and may God, look after you.

Shame on you.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

15-10-2010 09:48 PM

In all but the most tragic and exceptional cases (I cite a friend of mine whose husband died suddenly leaving her with three-year-old triplets), I would suggest that most people who are in the higher rate tax bracket appreciate the little extra that is child benefit, but will hardly starve in the gutter without it. I know of instances where the child benefit constitutes the relevant child's weekly pocket money allowance.

Yes, it's nice to actually get something from the government for a change (although I'm not in the top tax bracket, so I'll not be losing out either), but I don't think anyone should begrudge it.

I heard on the news this morning that the national debt is equivalent to something less than £2k per head of the population. Apologies, I forget the exact figure. It's time for the middle classes to open their cheque books - say £4k apiece (and others according to their means) should make a serious dent in the national debt once and for all and with the likes of, oooh, say, Simon Cowell putting in substantially larger amounts, I reckon the National Debt could be wiped out in fairly short order and we could all get on with our lives without this cloud of doom and gloom hanging over us and suffering a death by a thousand cuts. Oh, and bankers can pay double too.

jon14

16-10-2010 09:08 PM

Baboonery wrote:
No, jon, I was making a point by the use of humour. There's a massive difference.

Then you need to find a way of communicating which reflects that, because your post wouldn't sound like a joke to most people. Or perhaps accept that some people have a way of communicating on forums like this that may sound offensive to you, but that's not what they're trying to be.

roz

18-10-2010 02:16 PM

http://www.tamba.org.uk/Page.aspx?pid=791

Benefit cuts of any kind are likely to impact significantly harder on families with multiples. Please note the attached referring to the TAMBA campaign.

michael

29-10-2010 03:07 PM

So let me see if I understand the latest in this mess of a policy...

My wife will continue to be able to claim child benefit for our daughter unless she is a high rate tax payer. I will not be able to claim child benefit for our daughter (as it is paid to the mother) but should I be a higher rate tax payer I will be penalised if my wife claims child benefit and is not a higher rate tax payer or if she does not tell me the full details of her pay and benefits.

Is there any way I can force my wife to disclose these details to me so that I can pass them on to the tax authorities? Are married couples, or even unmarried couples, not allowed to have financial privacy?

Here's a thought, why not just increase higher rate of income tax rather than taking away child benefit from higher rate tax paying families?

willy

29-10-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:
Here's a thought, why not just increase higher rate of income tax rather than taking away child benefit from higher rate tax paying families?

or......wait for it......you pay for your own children and stop expecting other people to pick up after you.[/quote]

sandy

29-10-2010 05:01 PM

The thing about a universal benefit is that it does not stigmatise the less well off. All get child benefit or a Freedom Pass in old age, for example, whatever the income level but the better off can pay back in through tax. You are not then singled out as poor when you show your Freedom Pass as everyone has them.

pixysunflower

30-10-2010 09:17 AM

On this subject, this also a good resource - there's isn't just one narrative on the problems we face (check out The False Economy button):

http://www.taxpayersalliance.org/blog/

BTW, demonstration today meeting at 12 at Crofton Park Library to protest library closures threat.

roz

30-10-2010 10:26 AM

There is a reason why not even Thatcher meddled with Child Benefit- its too expensive to monitor and operate a full means tested system on what is a relatively small sum but one which is universally applied.

Overall its the amount of net income a family takes home after tax and childcare costs that really matters so I am not particularly hung up on this particular benefit if an alternative means an overall saving for families who need it most and there is a system that can be logically applied. However I don't think this government is too concerned about logical application.

Unfortunately I can't attend the demo today but would be prepared to attend others in due course. I suspect there is a whole generation out there who have still to take part in public protest. Bring it all on!

brian

30-10-2010 02:31 PM

Dearest Roz
Does not Lady Thatcher deserve to be more politely refered to . Politeness and tolerance costs nothing.

No problems with peaceful protest but hope you are not suggesting anachy and violence as was the infamous poll tax riots.

roz

30-10-2010 08:55 PM

Brian,

No I don't, is the answer to your first point.

Whether or not a protest is peaceful is very much in the hands of the police, a la the g20 demo and the very sad Ian Tomlinson saga.

brian

31-10-2010 02:22 PM

Dear Roz
Please have tolerance for elderly ladies. At least give them the politeness of their correct title.

So any violence at demonstrations the fault of the Police. Not sure how to reply to this very strange remark.
#
God Bless you anyway.

davidl

01-11-2010 11:01 AM

If you're keen to give her the correct title, I think you will find that she has been "Baroness Thatcher" since 1992.

brian

01-11-2010 11:56 AM

You are quite correct David. My sincere apologies to you and the good lady.

roz

01-11-2010 02:11 PM

Milksnatcher springs to mind. And a few other terms but not printable.

Pages (5): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields