SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Campaign for a GP surgery in Forest Hill ward
robin orton

05-10-2010 01:54 PM

I see this is on the agenda for the FH ward assembly on 16 October. A new one on me; does anyone know the background?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

05-10-2010 03:16 PM

It is something I proposed in the last ward assembly and directly to all of the Forest Hill Councillors.

There is currently no GP surgery in Forest Hill Ward, making parts of the ward further than 0.5miles from a GP, and further from a GP than almost all other populated areas of London, and in some places (around Honor Oak Road) no direct bus routes to the nearest surgery in Southwark.

This is the link to the density of GP surgeries on London.

Page 7, figure 5b and d

In figure 5b Forest Hill has the lowest density on the map. The only other areas in Inner London with a similar density are Richmond Park, Dulwich Wood, Wormwood Scrubs, the Thames barrier, Buckingham Palace, Hampstead Heath.

In figure 5d Forest Hill is the only pink patch in Inner London other than the heart of the City.

I think this is proof that we are lacking sufficient GP practices in Forest Hill ward.

roz

05-10-2010 03:41 PM

I agree entirely but wonder how this could happen with the current spending review weeks away. I'm still bemused about the forced closing of the New Cross walk in centre only a few years after it opened. This must have cost millions to set up and now the benefit has been lost.

Could we please add pharmacies to that list as the only one around for miles is Boots and thats not accessible to everyone. The only others I am aware of are Rickmans at the Jenner and the one near the Herne Tavern on Forest Hill Road.
If we campaign for a surgery it might be worthwhile requesting adequate site provision for a dispensing pharmacy.
We do potentially have all these people moving into the Tyson Road development so clearly there will be a need!

It would be good also to start identifying suitable sites. There are vacant commercial premises on London Road which have access to parking ( Sainsbury car park) , ground floor wheelchair access etc, and good access to public transport networks. From my professional experience I'm aware of examples elsewhere in London of surgeries combined with other services such as childrens centres, Team Around the Child/child protection/youth services centres hence enabling cross funding streams to support the revenue costs.

One other option would be to increase the capacity of the Jenner by adding another story or building into/over the car park.

The of course there is Louise House- that old chestnut!

michael

05-10-2010 03:58 PM

I notice that the Jehovah's Witness Hall on David's Road is for rent and the gym that is a couple of doors away may also be a potential location. A new practice would need to be in the centre of Forest Hill and I personally think that Louise House is a bit too close to Wells Park Practice and would need substantial investment to convert to a GP surgery (not a cheap endevour even in the best economic climate). But if Louise House was a possibility then I would be in favour of this and the benefit of using the building for community use between the library and pool might work well.

I used the walk in centre in New Cross. Very nice, but nobody knew anything that was happening in the building and I would far prefer to go to a local GP for most services. The closure of the walk in centre makes the need for local GPs stronger.

Before a couple of sites in David's Road became more likely, I did have a thought about converting the ambulance station to a GP practice (benefit is that it is already owned by the NHS) and I don't see why ambulances should not operate out of the fire station or the old council depot in Willow Way (I knew it would come in handy one day!)

NewForester

05-10-2010 05:40 PM

michael wrote:
I notice that the Jehovah's Witness Hall on David's Road is for rent

I believe that it's the Freehold for sale, rather than the JW moving out.

As for the gym (at 15 Davids Road), it has planning permission (Ref DC/08/68497/X 07/07/08) for

Quote:
The construction of a new floor of accommodation on top of the existing building at 15 David's Road SE23 and the change of use of the first floor of the existing gymnasium to residential and conversion of the top two floors of the resultant building to provide 3 one-bedroom flats on the first floor and 2 one-bedroom flats on the top floor.

This would leave the ground floor available for a GP Surgery, but would it be big enough? It's quite small.

Satchers

05-10-2010 06:45 PM

In relation to Michael's comment I have always thought it is a really good thing for Forest Hill that we have the Ambulance station in the centre and would suggest we try and keep it. Although the only time I've ever called one it came very fast from Bromley!

I think though that looking for a building that is already in 'public' ownership (Council/PCT etc) is the most likely? Ideally something that is not fully used or that might have space in it?

There did used to be funding from PCT's for new health centres/Doctors surgeries but I understand that this no longer exists?

robin orton

05-10-2010 07:49 PM

I believe that in the olden days a doctor could decide that s/he wanted to practice in a particular location and then, having got clearance from the (now defunct) Medical Practices Committee, buy the premises(with a mortgage in most cases) and enter into a contract with the then equivalent of the PCT to provide general medical services. Nowadays I have always assumed that in most if not all cases it is the PCT's (if anyone's) role to provide the surgery/health centre and then to look for doctors to staff it.

Whether in practice this is likely to happen in the current climate is a different matter. In any case, the fact that one has to travel half a mile or so to the surgery is, does not in itself mean, I expect the PCT would tell us, that FH needs more doctors.

SEN

16-10-2010 07:21 AM

Robin, I'm not sure things are that different these days. GPs are still (generally) independent businesses, not NHS trusts, thought the premises may belong to PCT. They have a contract with PCTs who might, if there were concerns about poor health outcomes in an area without a GP, try to set one up. Doubt that SE23 is Lewisham's biggest health blackspot, though I don't know for sure. But the writing's on the wall for PCTs, they'll be gone by 2013 and in many cases before. GPs are going to be in charge of much of the commissioning work, so they and new agencies created by the government would take up this issue in future.

If there are any GPs with tired old surgeries in the area, perhaps lobby them (and PCT if it's their building) to move?

NewForester

16-12-2010 01:29 PM

I stand corrected. Apparently the JW have purchased the old Barnados home on Brockley Rise, so they may be moving out of Davids Road.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Ward - Coffee with a Cop admin 0 1,284 21-07-2023 04:34 PM
Last Post: admin
  Forest Hill ward councillors - how can we help? CllrBillyHarding 29 12,472 23-02-2023 09:27 AM
Last Post: ForestHill Mum
  Forest Hill Ward Assembly michael 1 1,840 21-11-2022 07:03 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  Forest Hill Ward - Residents Survey November 2022 admin 1 2,059 30-10-2022 06:19 PM
Last Post: nottinghillbilly
  Forest Hill Ward - Catalytic Converter Theft - Crime Prevention Advice admin 0 2,614 07-02-2021 11:11 AM
  Forest Hill Ward - Advice concerning Scams and Covid-19 admin 0 2,603 06-04-2020 07:09 AM
  2018 Election Nominations for Forest Hill & Perry Vale Ward Councillors admin 2 5,306 18-04-2018 07:37 AM
Last Post: ForTiger
  Forest Hill Ward Assembly - Tuesday 27th June 2017 michael 0 3,425 26-06-2017 09:57 AM
Last Post: michael
  Forest Hill Ward - Crime Prevention and Smart Water admin 0 3,521 16-06-2017 11:22 AM
  Forest School Fundraising campaign WildTree Nikki 0 2,444 26-05-2017 03:52 PM
Last Post: WildTree Nikki
  Forest Hill Ward - Speed Awareness Operation admin 8 7,890 14-03-2017 12:11 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Police Alert - Motor Vehicle Offences in Forest Hill Ward admin 0 4,072 06-03-2017 11:10 AM
  Forest Hill Ward Assembly - 8th December 2016 michael 0 3,293 05-12-2016 03:09 PM
  Forest Hill Ward - Burglary Update admin 7 10,835 09-08-2016 12:42 PM
Last Post: Tinkerbell
  Forest Hill Ward - Cash Point Safety admin 0 3,850 14-05-2016 01:16 PM
  Forest Hill Ward - Revitalisation of Neighbourhood Watch within Forest Hill admin 0 3,955 25-04-2016 11:59 AM
  Forest Hill Ward - Motor Vehicle Crime admin 0 4,006 08-04-2016 09:04 PM
  Forest Hill Ward - Free Cycle Marking Event admin 1 5,369 02-09-2015 12:17 PM
  Forest Hill Ward - Motor Vehicle Crime Alert admin 1 4,840 17-06-2015 05:29 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Forest Hill Ward Assembly - 17th Feb 2015 michael 3 6,160 12-02-2015 11:56 AM