SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Does anyone use the Overground in the evening
Snazy

04-10-2010 03:23 PM

My work will be changing their locations next year, and im possibly going to end up using the Overground from Surrey Quays to FH in the evening.
Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on how busy it is between 6 and 7 in the evenings? Thumbup

Thanks in advance

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Erekose

04-10-2010 06:42 PM

Busy but 100% better than the equivilant trains back from LB used to be.

roz

04-10-2010 07:36 PM

How busy/safe later ie 11pm? I'm going to be coming home late from a night out in Hoxton fairly soon.

Erekose

04-10-2010 07:47 PM

I have come back on it at around 11:00 and it was quite quiet. Perceptions of safety vary but I have not had any problems returning to FH by train late at night.
Six or seven years ago when I used to go out in the Shoreditch and Hoxton area I would have been so grateful for the Overground. I remember the race down to Old street to get the Northern line back to LB for the last train.....

Elizabeth25

05-10-2010 06:28 AM

I agree. I took the Overground from Hoxton after 11:00 pm a few weeks ago. Well lit and populated stations. And it is nice to be sitting on a train in North London, knowing it goes straight to Forest Hill. Then, we all know, Forest Hill is usually always well populated up until the last train.

Snazy

05-10-2010 12:03 PM

Cool thanks for that, I will have to do a dummy run at some point to see what its like, but the thought of a quick train journey, standing is fine, is far more pleasing that struggling with rush hour traffic from that area.

From my first and only journey on it the other week I have to say im impressed, and imagine my midday journey TO work will be fine Thumbup

michael

05-10-2010 12:59 PM

Overground trains are designed for customer safety, in the sense that they have no doors between carriages. This leave less likelihood for you to find yourself almost alone in a carriage with a nutter or gang of steamers as there is very likely to be other passengers within shouting distance and this deters criminals and nutters. More importantly if you don't like the look/smell of the person who is sitting too close to you, it is easy to move down the train to where other passengers are located.

Snazy

05-10-2010 01:56 PM

Sounds like I will get a carriage to myself then lol.

I think I have got it right that the journey would be £1.30 each way on the London Lobster card system Rofl

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields