SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
BT Broadband - Forest Hill Exchange Upgrade
jgdoherty

25-11-2011 03:30 PM

That level of fluctuation is normal in the wider sense with broadband.

I have not had a great deal of hands-on with Infinity yet but generally with broadband your speed is being monitored and adjusted between the exchange and your router by a piece of software at the exchange end.

It attempts to optimise the speed at which your particular line will operate in a stable fashion during a "training period". It reads all sorts of things including signal strength and background noise which indivudually will have a direct bearing on your line speed and will make adjustments automatically.

Initially this can mean significant fluctuation but those fluctuations should settle down as it fine tunes the settings. This so-called training period can last between 24-72 hours by which time you should have a real sense whether your installation has been successful.

As a cast iron rule you should not power down the router during that training period. You may see it dis-connecting and re-setting itself during that period but that is perfectly normal.

In most cases this settles down quickly with line stats that are entirely acceptable.

BT engineers tend to dismiss enquiries about speed for the first 5-10 days on the basis that they may intervene if the automatic software does not bring about the required result and issues warnings to them.

Examples of problems that could prevent good line stats are poor connections or damaged cables and of course, if you are FTTC, the last few metres from your nearest cabinet are still the original copper cables.

I trust your wi-fi re-tuning exercise wasn't too onerous - and if you have a new Homehub 3 - I have been very impressed by its three dimensional transmission rates.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: BT Broadband - Forest Hill Exchange Upgrade - jgdoherty - 25-11-2011 03:30 PM