SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
BT Broadband - Forest Hill Exchange Upgrade
jgdoherty

03-06-2011 02:14 PM

Moreno

I held the same view that as FTTC involved fitting new equipment at the cabinet and used the existing copper to reach the premise, then commissioning FTTP would mean running new fibre line to the premises from those same cabnets.

That was until about two weeks ago when I was shown how cable-laying engineers were pulling cable through existing pits and manholes past our premises and were then laying manifold/junctions in each pit and manhole. Your premise would then have a new fibre cable linked to the nearest manifold/junction and not all the way back to the nearest cabinet.

That still does not answer the question as to whether FTTC and FTTP services can run side-by-side.

I have heard reliably that FTTC installs in exchanges adjacent to Forest Hill have not delivered the promised 40 mbps and are running at 13-14 mbps. Perhaps an indicator once more that the choke point in performance terms is always the copper infrastructure.

I am sure we will find out whether this mix of FTTC and FTTP is possible.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: BT Broadband - Forest Hill Exchange Upgrade - jgdoherty - 03-06-2011 02:14 PM