SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
BT Broadband - Forest Hill Exchange Upgrade
jgdoherty

07-12-2010 02:27 PM

Interesting update from OpenReach.

The web-site Samknows has also revised its estimated date for FTTC to March 2011 - see link at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSFOR. The estimate in August 2010 set the last upgrade date to FTTC at Dec 2010.

Typically no certainty is provided and both sites stress that these are estimates. As I said in earlier comments a BT Technical Team in N Ireland had advised me that they believed Openreach were having difficulties at the Forest Hill exchange and delays may occur in the upgrade roll-out. So plenty of ambiguity and delay and no real evidence of substantial progress.

Whilst it is exciting to see the FTTP flag set - it would be difficult to predict when that may occur. BT (OpenReach) would have to lay optic fibre cables from all nearby BT cabinets to individual homes and premises to make this high speed feature work. Many people in the industry believe that BT's announcement on their FTTP delivery is little more that a puff-piece that is intended to spoil Virgin's recent claims to be the only ISP that delivers 100Mbps.

For the record, the last upgrade in August has only been partially delivered, with a marginal improvement in speeds which still represents approximately half that which was promised. Page drop-outs and BT resets on the line remain at an unacceptably high level.

Still not holding my breath for the FTTC upgrade as BT continues to fail in its delivery programme.

FTTP is almost certainly in the class of jam tomorrow - and if BT prove me wrong I will have mine on toast please.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
BT Broadband - Forest Hill Exchange Upgrade - jgdoherty - 07-12-2010 02:27 PM