SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (9): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »
BT Broadband - Forest Hill Exchange Upgrade
jgdoherty

12-10-2011 08:49 PM

Thanks for ther tech update.

I also use inssider - invaluable tool.

It frequently reminds me that wireless kit in itself can vary widely in quality. Attached to good kit it really can be very informative about what's around you for a reasonable distance - whereas with lesser kit it can sometimes only detect transmitters in its immediate vicinity.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kannanni

19-10-2011 06:52 PM

hi,

quick update,

my new bt infinity connection is up and running,

[img][/img]

also getting constant ping of 7 ms to bbc.co.uk.

very happy so far, and hope it stays like this Smile

jgdoherty

20-10-2011 09:38 AM

Very impressive. Compared with poor performance reports from exchanges adjacent to Forest Hill this is a first class outcome.

I thinks this denotes a first for Forest Hill and should win first prize.

Congrats again.

jgdoherty

31-10-2011 12:46 PM

Further pronouncements from BT on their national programme for super-fast fibre installations:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15518887

Generalised and non-specific with a nonsensical comment that BT is one year ahead of programme - contrary to our experiences here in the Forest Hill exchange area.

An earlier BT release has an equally nonsensical statement that trialling is about to begin for FTTP when in fact trial phases are reaching completion and previously issued statements have made it clear that the full-blown rollout would commence Nov/Dec 2011 after these trials were complete.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15180835

It is diabollically re-assuring that BT maintain this attitude of puffery about phantom progress and continue to demontrate that neither their right hand nor left hand knows what the other is doing.

jgdoherty

31-10-2011 01:36 PM

Missed this even puffier piece from BT - but what great news for the additional 520 recently-made-redundant ex-armed forces personnel being employed by BT.

If BT continue with this expansionist plan, they will resolve both the UK Broadband deficiency and the MoD cost-cutting problems - all at a single stroke.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/31/...rces_bods/

Can we really handle all this good news.

Samurai

17-11-2011 07:56 AM

As of Tuesday... NEWS ARTICLE

BT rolls out 100Mbps fibre broadband in ten exchange areas

"Residents in ten exchange areas across England can now sign up for BT's newly launched up to 100Mbps fibre optic broadband package.

Highams Park, Leytonstone, Ilford and Forest Hill in London are among the first locations to be included in the telecoms giant's ultra-fast broadband rollout..."

More can be read on article above (link).

Sadly, while the exchange may be enabled, the new cabinets have still not been set up. This means that it could be several more months before we're able to sign up. At roughly 500m from the exchange, you would have thought my cabinet would have been done already.

davidl

17-11-2011 11:57 AM

There's a typical good news/bad thing here at the moment - the exchange is enabled, but the connections to get closer to the house are still a work in progress (and very difficult to find any detailed info on).

I spoke to one of the phalanx of Openreach engineers working on Bovill Road a couple of weeks ago and asked about when the service would actually be available - bearing in mind that they need to come and replace the cable drop from telegraph pole to house for FTTP - and they had no ideas - "a couple of months, mate" was the best I got.

Anyone got any better info?

Samurai

17-11-2011 12:57 PM

Here it is... I had to wait until a friend of mine was awake before I could get it. Basically, if you have a NO next to your post code, the chances are ZERO you'll get the fibre - as is in my case.

They did the cabinets before the exchange was upgraded so it could simply be 'switched on'.

Absolutely gutted. I hope my existing ISP really starts looking to invest in this. Sort of an LLU of fibre.

Samurai

17-11-2011 12:58 PM

Might help if I actually pasted the link!

Sadly, the admin on here doesn't not trust us enough to edit posts - VERY STRANGE!!! Cursing

http://pastebin.com/vrPMmYyQ

rshdunlop

17-11-2011 01:44 PM

So, what does a YES mean?

rshdunlop

17-11-2011 06:29 PM

So, according to BT I can now order 40mb Infinity but not 100mb Infinity. Do I wait for 100mb or is that not coming our way?

roz

17-11-2011 10:49 PM

Havent the foggiest....

Samurai

18-11-2011 01:51 AM

40mb is FFTC

100mb is FTTH

The FH exchange (LSFOR) was one of the 'lucky' few that was chosen by BT to offer both FFTC and FTTH. But it will all depend on where you live. It's a postcode lottery - some can get it, some will never get it.

rshdunlop

18-11-2011 08:38 AM

Well, I'm gonna get me some 40mb. I don't suppose they will mind upgrading me to a faster (and more expensive) service if it comes in later.

Baboonery

18-11-2011 10:57 AM

Well the postcode of the flat I'm about to buy doesn't appear at all. Woo hoo.

rshdunlop

18-11-2011 03:02 PM

Check again, Baboonery. I thought my postcode wasn't there either, but they are listed in batches, so it may be further down the page, when the numbers for some reason start over again.

Baboonery

18-11-2011 05:23 PM

Some with space, some without space. How odd.

Thanks, rhsd, top tip. And I'm a YES!

rshdunlop

18-11-2011 09:18 PM

I'm booked in for my upgrade next Friday. Yay!

NewForester

20-11-2011 12:03 AM

bt wrote:
BT Retail today expanded its BT Infinity broadband family to include an ultrafast service offering download speeds of up to 100Mbps. This matches Virgin Media’s fastest commercial service but offers upload speeds that are 50 per cent faster.

BT Infinity Option 3 is based on fibre that goes all the way to individual homes in order to deliver the company’s highest consumer download speed. It also allows users to upload material to the internet at up to15Mbps. BT is the only major ISP to offer such a service.

BT Retail is offering BT Infinity Option 3 with unlimited evening and weekend calls for just £35.00 a month.

BT Infinity Option 3 will be available from a limited number of exchanges initially, as Openreach rolls out fibre directly to homes and premises. Customers in Highams Park and Leytonstone in London, Ilford in London borough of Redbridge, Ashford in Middlesex, Forest Hill in the London borough of Lewisham, Chester, York, St. Austell and Exeter will be among the first to have the opportunity to purchase it. Customers in these exchanges will enjoy the full range of Infinity options, as they will also have the choice of BT’s up to 40Mbps BT Infinity packages.

Full Press Release here

SEN

20-11-2011 09:36 AM

Been following this with interest. Could all this work be the reason my broadband is unstable? Have a fairly new router, but connection seems to drop at least once or twice every weekend and often around 5.30 weekdays. My postcode's on the "yes" list though doubt I'd pay more for new service (having abandoned BT years ago).

Another puzzling thing - broadband speed varies wildly, usually about 7mb but about once a week around 15mb, and - once only - 39mb! Confused

Pages (9): « First < Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields