SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (9): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
BT Broadband - Forest Hill Exchange Upgrade
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

02-02-2011 02:38 PM

My broadband speed, which has been consistently good over the last 8 (?) years has nose-dived in the last week or so. Anyone else having any problems?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

02-02-2011 03:18 PM

Yup. Slow and a few dropouts outs this week. But I also noticed BT laying lots of new cable from the junction boxes on my road at the end of last week so hopefully that's a good sign.

Fandango

02-02-2011 08:16 PM

Same here. Been a bit flakey.

Poppy9560

02-02-2011 08:19 PM

my BT Broadband has been terrible the last week or so

jgdoherty

02-02-2011 09:56 PM

This last week has seen some ups and downs on performance across the area served by the Forest Hill exchange.. After some gradual increases in performance from December, in the main it all slipped back to lower levels in January - with some significant increases in the drop-out frequency.

There also seems to be a dividing line along the approximate axis of the Honor Oak to Sydenham railway line, where properties north of that axis enjoy a much higher level of performance than those of us who are to the south. This can be the difference between getting 7-10 mbps and 13-15mbps on properties equidistant from the exchange on Stanstead Road.

A satisfactory delivery of the FTTC upgrade programme continues to elude BT.

Whilst I have to concur that there is a lot of pavement markings showing where BT intend to lay the new fibre cable and fit new cabinets, there is no corresponding evidence that actual installation work is making any progress.

Once more for both FTTC and FTTP - it is all jam tomorrow and I have an increasing sense of mis-placed optimism in that I am still keeping my toast warm.

rshdunlop

02-02-2011 10:04 PM

Well, they were definitely laying new cable outside my house last Friday. They arrived towing a great big wheel of cable, and it was all gone by the time they left several hours later!

jgdoherty

02-02-2011 10:25 PM

Well - perhaps I should check out how the re-heat feature works on my toaster !

Can any one recommend a nice pot of jam - local produce is preferable.

ChrisR

03-02-2011 11:06 AM

I'm with Talk Talk and have had a very unstable broadband connection since Sunday morning. On Monday evening Talk Talk advised me it was a general issue in the area and engineers were working on it, and it should be fixed within 24 hours. Yesterday I was told the issue was more serious than at first thought and it was now being handled by their "3rd level support". Again I was told it should be fixed within 24 hours! I have been using my Vodafone mobile internet dongle until home broadband is more stable. Not great speeds but at least it's stable!

Fish Face

05-02-2011 02:41 PM

Just tested my new Sky connection.
16mb download.

Fandango

13-02-2011 02:11 PM

Today is impossible.

Constantly dropping out, and when we do have a connection we're getting less than 0.6Mbps.Cursing

Anyone else having issues? I'm with Be.

Tinkerbell

16-02-2011 02:33 PM

I had two outages lasting around 10 minutes each yesterday (BT Broadband). Was about to get out my T-Mobile stick which I bought last time the service went down (some time in November, when the copper wiring got nicked in Gabriel St. and BT took over a week to get the service back), but everything seems to run smoothly today. So far...Confused

rshdunlop

16-02-2011 02:47 PM

Very patchy today. The roadworks on Perry Vale last week was BT laying cable. I guess we can expect some blips while the upgrade is pushed through.

squashst

21-02-2011 09:37 AM

Hi - I'm in HOP, Garthorne Rd. My broadband was a bit flakey early JAn but worked perfectly since then, however, severe problems all through Sunday (AOL); wondered if this is another example of the problems that others are having with internet

Fandango

21-02-2011 12:31 PM

They must have been up to something as my connection was awful at times.

Thisgirl

24-02-2011 12:21 PM

Has anyone got to the root of this? SKY have been telling us that everything is testing ok their end...

For a couple of evenings last weekend, aside from it connecting to my laptop a couple of times, I had absolutely nothing. This week has improved, but the signal is still as weak as my grandmother's tea.

As SKY are denying any sort of responsibility, I can only think it has to do with the exchange. Finding this thread has helped stop me from throwing my router through the window... But it would be great to know if anyone is still having problems, or if anyone has any further updates on the exchange status?

Also - what a great forum to stumble on... I'm relatively new to SE23, so this is brilliant for news and learning about local amenities!
*waves to all*

Tezzyd

02-03-2011 08:24 PM

Hi, I'm glad it's not just me then. My Aol went down last sunday and was told it was the exchange. This week since Sunday my connection has been interupted every day including today. Aol tells me that it's now a problem on my line and the engineers are trying to fix it, but i'm not convinced.

Bangorben

03-03-2011 09:11 AM

Reassuring (although equally frustrating) to hear loads of other people having trouble with their connections. We're with BT and its been really inconsistent, dropping out randomly and being slow too.

Get the impression from this thread that it's all due to BT upgrading the line locally. Has anyone complained to BT? Was thinking of calling them and demanding a reduction in this last month's bill as I've had to resort to tethering for a connection from my mobile. Has anyone tried this approach with BT yet?

Hate to say it (and never thought I would) but a contract with Sky might be on the horizon – fast internet speed, Mad Men, Cricket, Rugby, Football…I really hoped it wouldn't come to this!

Cheers

robin orton

03-03-2011 09:31 AM

Or Virgin, if you've got cable in your street (as I think we all have?) We've used them for some years - occasional local outages of an hour or two, but otherwise fast (enough for our needs, anyway) and reliable.

showtunesgirl

03-03-2011 11:48 AM

Our BT connection was lost for most of yesterday evening. Anyone else?

mgmonkey

03-03-2011 01:24 PM

We don't all have cable in our street. Frustratingly, Virgin's cable seems to stop half way down my road.

Doesn't stop them putting their leaflets through my door asking me to sign up though!

Pages (9): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields