SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
The History of Forest Hill
robwinton

17-01-2008 06:40 PM

The Forest Hill Society is organising a talk by local historian and all-round guru Steve Grindlay to talk about the history and development of Forest Hill.

Last year he attracted a crowd of almost 80 people for a walk on a cold and wet February afternoon, so I imagine that this too will attract a big crowd, be warned and get there early!

Steve has a vast wealth of photos, maps and other documents looking at the development of Forest Hill and the areas around us. On the walk it was sometimes difficult to see them, but judging by the interest on this site and the Sydenham Society Forum, there is a real fascination for the history of Forest Hill. We decided, therefore, to make this an in-door event where we can see the photos and even enjoy a pint.

If you've ever wondered about the canal, the trains, the Victorian shops, local architects (e.g. Ted Christmas), prominent residents, etc. then why not come along and hear his presentation and even ask him some questions.

The talk is on Wednesday, January 30th at 7pm, upstairs at The Hob opposite the station.

Entry is completely free, but we will accept voluntary donations that will go towards funding the Forest Hill Society's activities

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stevegrindlay

18-01-2008 06:17 PM

I hope no-one thinks I am trying to bump this thread, but I would like to add that Honor Oak is included, not least because I have strong personal links with the area.

Rob mentioned most of the themes that will be covered, but if there are others that could be of interest, do let may know and I'll see what I can do. I'm looking forward to meeting those of you who can make it.

Steve

For a random selection of items on local history visit my blog at:
http://sydenhamforesthillhistory.blogspot.com/
ht

18-01-2008 08:55 PM

Looking forward to it!

robwinton

21-01-2008 02:25 PM

thanks ht!

I should also point out that if anyone is interested on the night, we might plan a walk around FH to take a look at some of the themes raised by Steve. I'd be happy to lead it for those who are unfamiliar with Forest Hill. No dates yet, but we can see what interest there is first.

See you then!

robwinton

28-01-2008 11:29 AM

I am gratuitously bumping this thread, not so much to eclipse the important discussions about the HOP parade, but because I think this presentation might help to put developments in Forest Hill & HOP into a historical perspective. I am not sure it is the moment for planning Roz's revolution ("Time to kick ass. Lets do it.") but you never know.

Also, in a conversation with simonj on another thread we decided that this might be an opportunity for SE23.com and FHS members to discuss plans for the SE23 Club and/or Curry Nights.

If you come on Wednesday we can always have an extra pint or two afterwards to discuss these plans.

See you then!

falkor

28-01-2008 03:57 PM

Looking forward to it... On the walkabout last year, Steve talked about the history of Christ Church; something to do with the hill and surrounding fields before the church was built. It was mentioned near the Tetley Teabags part, but I've completely forgotton the exact details. It might have been something to do with a meeting place or something? Whatever it was, I could find no reference to it in my history books at the time. Steve, I realise you have a fixed schedule, but if you get time to go over that part again then that would be great.

robwinton

28-01-2008 04:10 PM

Thanks for that falkor.

I think that Christ Church was a pretty important element to the establishment of Forest Hill, particularly this side of the tracks, so I imagine it will be covered, and I'm pretty sure Steve will take questions.

Anyone been inside the new building yet?

falkor

28-01-2008 07:37 PM

Good news: I convinced my friend to come with me! What is the seating arrangement going to be like? Can we record this talk or would that be too lame? I forget things very easily. Maybe I will bring a notepad with me instead...

I bet there's going to be a lot of people turning up like last time--atleast enough to warrant a follow-up walkabout. It's going to be great; I just know it! Smile

Perryman

29-01-2008 03:08 PM

There is/was a leaflet written by steve in the resource centre at Lewisham library.
This covered many of the points he raised on the walk, esp around the church.

There was a field of thistles on this site, (Pikethorne) which is said to be recorded in the Domesday book. Any incompetent local builders would apparently be tarred feathered and thrown in the thistles...... it just fails to record.

Sandy67

29-01-2008 03:15 PM

this would interest me greatly but i dont think i would be able to make it

quite scarey to do this sort of thing on my own Scared

michael

29-01-2008 04:21 PM

To wet your appetite for the history of Forest Hill there are some photos of part of the old canal that are filled with water. Forest Hill's own wetland:
http://www.londoncanals.co.uk/croydon/dacwds.html

michael

29-01-2008 04:28 PM

And a good view of the 'canal' glistening in the morning sun.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp...&encType=1

robwinton

29-01-2008 04:39 PM

SANDY67 wrote:
this would interest me greatly but i dont think i would be able to make it

quite scarey to do this sort of thing on my own Scared

Sandy67 - we are not scary, really. We can organise a chaperone for you if you want? I'll keep an eye out for BigBadWolf if you want.

Alternatively you can turn up early and fortify yourself at the bar downstairs first!

Please do come along as the more the merrier (as long as we do not exceed the 110 person limit of the room)

nevermodern

29-01-2008 04:56 PM

That aerial view is great. I never knew it was there Smile

steveb

30-01-2008 07:29 AM

nevermodern wrote:
That aerial view is great. I never knew it was there Smile

We came across this a few weeks ago. No public access.

There were also signs of an attempt to provide seating and a public area alongside, , but the seats are broken and it dosen't seem to have been looked after. Does anyone know what happened to this?

admin
Administrator

30-01-2008 10:27 PM

Excellent evening. Many thanks to Steve Grindlay for a very entertaining talk, and to Rob for publicising it so well. The attendance was impressive - full and standing.

ht

31-01-2008 09:15 AM

Thanks Steve for such an interesting evening, (would be great if the talk is archived on the Forest Hill Society website at a later date too.)

PVP

31-01-2008 10:24 AM

Yes, a very interesting evening, quite amazed by the response!! Absolutely packed. Unfortunately it was so busy was unable to put some faces to names from here.

robwinton

31-01-2008 10:24 AM

Thank you to everyone who turned up last night. We counted around 120-125 people! Wow!!!

I'm sure there were many SE23.com members there although I didn't have much of a chance to say hello (feeling rather under the weather).

Thanks again to Steve Grindlay for everything. Keeping an absolutely packed room, with extras on the stairs and in the corridors, enthralled for 2 hours is amazing. The Forest Hill Society is very grateful for all this support from Steve and the community, proving it is not all about fighting developers and train companies, but that we can share fun things too.

Unfortunately with SO many people we didn't have time to talk about walks, or Curry Nights, but maybe we can follow that up on here.

Thanks again and see you at the next one!

Sandy67

31-01-2008 11:22 AM

glad it went well ...

i'm sorry i missed it ..

maybe next time

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Society - Walk Through History starman 0 2,757 22-01-2020 11:01 AM
Last Post: starman
  The History Of Forest Hill Station falkor 21 39,513 02-02-2017 03:43 PM
Last Post: Mr_Numbers
  History of Forest Hill - 25th March michael 6 10,076 28-01-2017 06:51 PM
Last Post: Poppet2
  Forest Hill canal / history plaque damaged robwinton 2 6,276 11-10-2013 05:41 PM
Last Post: robwinton
  Forest Hill Library - Black History Month Event foresthilllibrary 0 4,437 14-10-2011 09:22 AM
Last Post: foresthilllibrary
  Celebrate Black History Month @ Forest Hill Library foresthilllibrary 0 3,882 30-09-2010 06:43 PM
Last Post: foresthilllibrary
  Forest Hill History Walk & Treasure Hunt admin 7 16,018 21-06-2010 08:44 AM
Last Post: Dylan
  Family History in Forest Hill & Sydenham admin 2 7,496 09-11-2007 01:38 PM
Last Post: Forester