SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
Noisy neighbours
babaloo

20-09-2010 03:33 PM

We just moved into a lovely flat, everything is perfect apart from the fact our neighbours upstairs love to play their drum n bass really loudly, its constant during the afternoon especially the wkend- when your relaxing, trying to have a lie-in then all of sudden boom boom boom!! as you can imagine its getting on our nervous! I'm not sure what to do? Any helpful tips and ideas would be much apperciated! Thank you in advance! Xxx

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

20-09-2010 03:46 PM
Jon Lloyd

20-09-2010 04:14 PM

I believe it's a requirement for properties converted into flats to carpet the upstairs flat, as a sound-proofing aid, though I'm not sure how legally enforceable this is. Or even if it ever happens. Or if it even makes a difference.
In our old property I'd frequently pop round to ask the teenage son and his mates to kindly stop MCing through microphones at full blast along to Dizzee Rascal, and this worked for all of the first five minutes it took them to decide I was an irrelevance and start again. I was very pleased one night to see him taken out of the house in handcuffs for some non-related incident, but unfortunately he returned the next day.
So yes, back to the point, try talking first, as that link suggested, but if I'd had my chance again, I probably would have got the council involved.

billham

20-09-2010 05:17 PM

You have my sympathy babaloo - nothing worse than that irritating beat. Can't see why anyone would want to listen to it in the first place but each to their own I suppose. However it doesn't excuse the lack of consideration for neighbours. I have been lucky in 20 years plus living in a flat that I have never had exceptionally noisy neighbours, because it would drive me nuts.

Talking of noise, my flat backs on to the Greystead Road flats though at a distance of perhaps 100 yards or so. Fortunately the distance and my double glazing is just about enough to make bearable the ridiculous level of 'music' that on occasion emerges from there at a late hour, often till 3 or 4 in the morning. This is usually at the weekend (though that doesn't excuse it) but happens even on weekday nights sometimes. God only knows what it must be like for the other residents there - I am surprised murder hasn't occurred!!

I hope you can manage to resolve your situation amicably it, though I wouldn't hold my breath....

Merlin

20-09-2010 07:00 PM

I think the first point of call is to speak to the neighbours, they might not realise how badly the sound travels. If you are not able to speak to them (not confront them) perhaps you could drop a note in?
If they are rude and it continues/worsens then keep a diary and involve the noise nuisance team.
I hope you get it solved without any problems Smile

shzl400

20-09-2010 10:15 PM

I'd recommend MotorheadRofl

brian

21-09-2010 12:58 PM

I threatened noisy neighbours once with my late father's Scottish Band Music which much Bagpipe playing.
Threat seemed to register
As Corporal Jones said ,They do not like it up them.

babaloo

21-09-2010 01:36 PM

Thank you for your replies. It's extremely loud, as soon as you open the down stairs front door, you can hear the music- it sounds like a night club (during the day) We are both nursing students, so we are really busy during the week day and we cherish our weekend lie ins! If it gets worse, I'm going to get my boyfriend to have a word (yes, I am a coward Smile) Keeping a diary might be a good idea too. Oh yes, he also LOVES to use his skipping rope too................

brian

21-09-2010 02:36 PM

This is terrible. Do not see why you should have to go through all this proceedure whilst your life is ruined and you have an important job.
From what you imply seems your neighbour lives of the rest of us. If that is the case the Council should throw out immediately. People who are surviving on hand outs from the hard working should and do have a responsible to act in a responsible way.
Please do not someone refer to their human rights.

Mumrah

22-09-2010 10:13 AM

We had the same problem for the first 2 years after moving in. Didn't want to have a terrible relationship with the neighbour (teenage girls with a child), so tried to deal with it amicably, not least because if you want to sell you have a duty to disclose any issues you've had with the neighbours. 18 months, numerous visits to their front door, unable to relax in our own home (cups literally vibrated on our coffee table and kitchen worktops) and a 20 page noise diary later we finally called the council. They were pretty good, got a huge and unpleasant reaction from the neighbour (satisfying), but ultimately we had to keep this up for several months until the neighbour applied to the council for a new flat. It wasn't a great 2 years, and a pretty frustrating process, but worth it in the end and we survived the lottery of the council putting a new tennant in. Now all is peace and quite... sort of.... as much as it can be round here. Good luck!!

brian

22-09-2010 11:19 AM

Still confused Mumrah.
If the guilty party are subsidised council tenants and they are not being socially responsible , they should just be chucked out.
Why should they get more subsidised accommodation. Rights come with Responsibility.

Mumrah

22-09-2010 11:57 AM

Brian, couldn't agree more. 13 years of Labour government, hand-out culture, etc. We could go on. I'm sure in reality the majority in council housing are responsibly behaved. Unfortunately, the system seems to favour the offender in situations like these with the rest of us left to deal with the day to day unpleasantness. Doubt it would have made much difference even if Lewisham could have brought itself to vote for change this time round....

michael

22-09-2010 12:38 PM

Quite right Brian. Kick her out on the street and give her child to a nice middle class family with better taste in quiet music.

Perryman

22-09-2010 01:08 PM

Surely you mean put them in a work house?
They could reopen Louise house.

seeformiles

22-09-2010 01:11 PM

As someone who's had to live above and below a succession of noisy neighbours, I do sympathise. Get Lewisham Council on board and keep a log of incidents - it does help if you can produce a list of noisy episodes with dates and times.

Bear in mind that Lewisham noise teams go home at midnight Monday to Thursday and the police don't want to know unless it becomes a public nuisance - ie a disturbance that spills out onto the street. But there is action you can take through the council and your leaseholder/management company if you have one.

I really felt powerless at times when it was happening to me but the management company of my block are now taking it much more seriously. Remember the noise makers could be in breach of their leasehold and tenancy agreement too. Good luck with it and hope it's resolved soon.

nevermodern

22-09-2010 02:29 PM

Actually, Mumrah, it was the Labour government that gave local councils the power to evict noisy neighbours when they live in council houses.

Mumrah

22-09-2010 02:58 PM

OK, Nevermodern, point taken. I suppose we really ought to be blaming the local councils for not having the cojones to make the most of that power. They would just have to re-house and inflict those people on someone else.

oryx

22-09-2010 11:19 PM

As someone who experienced years of unacceptable noise levels from my wealthy home-owning neighbours, I find it really distasteful that some ignorant people on this thread seem to automatically associate noise nuisance with social housing tenants.

Good luck to the thread starter in getting it sorted.

Merlin

23-09-2010 07:48 AM

I'm with Oryx (not physically!) working with socially excluded people for the last 20 years the single must infuriating statement I have ever heard is 'those people' - it gives me tourettes! Cursing

Please don't stereotype and make assumptions - it is really out of line and actually says more about you than 'those people' (and whatever picture you create for 'them' at the time)

ForestHillier

23-09-2010 08:06 AM

Fair points yet this does not help babaloo does it

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields