SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Noisy neighbours
brian

23-09-2010 09:28 AM

Merlin
I agree not a good idea to stereotype people ( although draw the line at Big Issue Mafia ).
I was going on remarks that the poor innocent working people were making and came to the conclusion the offending persons were people living on our charity. If I am wrong then I apologise.
I agree rich people can make lots of noise although they tend to pay for their flats etc . However no excuse here either.
If you want to live in a flat you should show respect for other occupiers and if not then action should be taken.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ForestHillier

23-09-2010 09:39 AM

Agree - does not matter if your poor/rich, rent/own, you should show respect for your neighbours, this also goes for the people who live in houses, not sure how the Council can throw out people who own their own home howeverm bit hard that one, so maybe threatening people on social housing is also wrong, as does this not discriminate ?

Really wish I know the answer, problem is if you knock on their door, then they could get abusive and threaten you, really feel sorry for anyone in this position

I do know it happened to me a few years back where the people who lived underneath had endless parties with very loud musics, so what we did was as soon as their party ended and they all went to sleep, we played very loud heavy music, the parties then suddendly stopped

Mumrah

23-09-2010 09:52 AM

"Those people" is a reference to people who behave anti-socially, not a blanket statement about anyone in social housing. It is an experience based assertion, not an assumption. A little less sensitivity required.

brian

23-09-2010 09:56 AM

Agree with your comments overall. But you mention discriminate against people in Social Housing. The Important difference is they are expecting the rest of society to support them.

Anyway agree very nasty problem and wish the people all the best in trying to sort it out.

oryx

23-09-2010 12:11 PM

Interesting to see people backtracking when their prejudices are pointed out.

@ Mumsrah. You said 'I'm sure in reality the majority in council housing are responsibly behaved.' Which, while true (I know this because I work in so-called 'social' housing) implies that only residents in this type of housing create noise nuisance.

The thread starter (with whom I have a lot of sympathy) hasn't mentioned anything about the tenure type of her noisy neighbours, yet you & Brian see fit to jump in with references to council housing as if only people in this type of tenure created noise nuisance. By the way, it is far more of a problem if the noise is emanating from an owned/mortgaged rather than rented property.

I'm glad other people on this thread have challenged your prejudice too.

mrcee

23-09-2010 01:25 PM

Having only been on this forum a short while its clear that Brian has got a lot of issues and instead of everyone pointing out his flaws we should show him some support & love thats missing from his miserable existence.

p.s - for the record I do not a vested interest in council/social housing however I do have an intolerance for ignorance & hidden agendas.

ForestHillier

23-09-2010 01:30 PM

I for one think that some of these posts are getting very personal and some slightly abusive

mrcee

23-09-2010 01:44 PM

ForestHillier, I agree it must be quite depressing to read this from a council estate being blamed for everything.

I am sure no one signed for arguments etc so I for one will ending my involvement on this thread however I hope that the sound issues get resolved quickly for the original poster as no one should have to put with that.

ForestHillier

23-09-2010 01:52 PM

Totally agree - maybe some mis-read some of the posts, I know I have, yes it is wrong to blame it all on social housing and council estates, yet this thread has gone slightly of topic and really has given the original poster no help what soever

Ghis

23-09-2010 01:58 PM

I thought post # 2 was pretty good! Laugh

ForestHillier

23-09-2010 02:07 PM

Indeed it was ghis, really must get to specsavers as the old mince pies are not as good as they were and Im sorry to say, I missed that one

seeformiles

24-09-2010 05:31 PM

I think some of you may have the wrong end of the stick. Noisy neighbours are now a matter for the council to deal with rather than the police, and this applies regardless of the type of housing affected, ie social or privately owned. I was certainly not singling out social housing as I live in a block with a mix of leaseholders and tenants.

I was advised by my own management company to report late night noise in the first instance to Lewisham Noise Teams. And I think I provided some good - and up-to-date advice.

NewForester

25-09-2010 01:38 PM

If you are worried about approaching your neighbours directly (or communications have broken down), you can use a mediation service such as LAMP

LAMP (Lewisham Action on Mediation Project)
Old Fire Station, 340 Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LE
Tel: 0208 690 1133
Email: lampmediation@hotmail.com

ForestHillier

28-09-2010 11:07 AM

Another borough, yet maybe and I hope some sort of solace for you

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/legacy/news...sp?id=7203

Gep

12-10-2010 11:02 PM

I have a similar problem with my neighbours, which play music every Monday night/Tuesday morning often until 2/3am, shouting and swearing in the meantime...
I've contacted the council and they told me to keep a diary, which I found pretty silly since my issue is a regular one, once a week, every week.
Asking my neighbours to stop usually results in more swearing and more music.
I've got to the point where I sleep at friends' houses on Mondays.

Hawkesrah

13-10-2010 11:15 AM

You need to contact Lewisham council. They have a dept that deals with sort of thing

Pico
No longer registered

25-12-2011 09:26 PM

Hey I have just noticed this thread and it is relevant to something happening with a relative of mine living in Greystead Road high rise block. There is a guy playing R&B and rap so the the flats all around shake.

I went and spoke with and he pretty much told me to **** off and that he had been living there for 21 years therefore that is all I need to know. How the length of tenancy is the winning of this kind of dispute I have no idea. He is second floor and a little bit aggressive.

Does anyone know the story with this block and if it is possible to effect change?

Thanks in advance.

roz

25-12-2011 10:04 PM

I dont know much about the block but you might try the mediation option as probably likely to have more success than a more confrontational approach. Anyone being tackled on noise is unfortunately likely to react in the way that he did- if hes discussing it with a group of people then he might be more sheepish. However as a backstop you do have the law on your side but you do have to collect evidence over a certain time period.

Pico
No longer registered

25-12-2011 11:41 PM

I agree. The thing that worries me is that he clearly feels because he has got away with it for 21 years and that he is invincible.

I will have to speak with the Borough Council and noise pollution team asap and get the wheels in motion. I can't believe no one has challenged him before now.

brian

29-12-2011 04:53 PM

Amazing how people can be so anti social. One person can ruin the lives of many?

I cannot believe the council has never had him evicted.

Good Luck

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields