SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Is The Popes Visit Worth £10million.....
roz

23-09-2010 08:26 PM

I'm still not convinced that the ELL extension would not have happened anyway, Olympics or not. Something of that ilk was on the cards for a while.

Sorry, of course I'll watch the Olympics but I am not a fan of these big initiatives that promise (and cost) the earth in terms of regeneration outcomes as there are few real tangible long term tales of success on other countries who have hosted the Olympics. and feel very concerned about the situation with the Commonwealth site in India. Indias economy has improved from what it was but its still Third World and what has been the cost of their spending all this money on showboating when they don;t have it in the first place. Look at the photos of child labour mowing the lawns and doing manual work on the Athletes Village. Its awful. And many athletes probably even won't go due to the conditions so its unlikely to make much of a return to the economy.

In answer to the original question about the Popes visit, I doubt if many people realise the true cost of hosting any foreign dignitary so this will be an eye opener. And no,I don't' think we should be spending anywhere near that sort of sum on anyones visits; so, Benedict, save some air miles and reduce your carbon footprint, and next time, just lets broadcast you from the Vatican on TV; its a lot cheaper and more people can see you that way.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Is The Popes Visit Worth £10million..... - roz - 23-09-2010 08:26 PM