SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Is The Popes Visit Worth £10million.....
michael

20-09-2010 04:51 PM

hillsideresident wrote:
The Human Rights charters that we value so much today are a recent product of Western, Christian thinking.

I would suggest that many of the rights are not purely the result of Christian thinking. They are a result of the collected wisdom of mankind and no one religion has a claim to all of this wisdom. UN Rights of the Child were based on the work of Korczak who was a Polish Jew.

Are the following really Christian?
Article 4: No one shall be held in slavery or servitude
Many Christians fought against slavery (mainly non-Conformists from what I understand), but the Church was also complicit in these crimes for generations. Some of the most ardent anti-abolitionists were good Christian people.

Article 5: No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment
Not exactly a principle accepted by the Spanish Inquisition or in dealing with Anabaptists in Munster (just a couple of examples).

Article 20: Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association.
The Catholic church was banned in England until the 19th Century.

UN Declaration of Human Rights were a product of more than just Christianity, but it is noticable that it does not recognise Sexual preference as a human right. I suspect without the power of the church this form of equality would have been included.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Is The Popes Visit Worth £10million..... - michael - 20-09-2010 04:51 PM